Thread: CUPS test page

Default CUPS test page

How do you print a CUPS test page from the command line? For the last few days, it's been taking over ten minutes to print a PDF from the lpr command. The printer will stop and go. Tried turning off the printer for a few minutes and restarting cups, but it's still stalling. Using oS 11.4 on a file server.

Blog Entries

Default Re: CUPS test page

Try
    Code:
    lpr /usr/share/cups/data/testprint
    Are you printing to a local or remote printer? What model? (This may depend on the size of the PDF and the printer language involved).

Read the posts by gsocker (post #10 and #12) in the following thread:

[ubuntu] PDF's Very Slow to Print - Ubuntu Forums

Blog Entries

You may find decreasing the printing DPI, and increasing the RIPCache value in /etc/cups/cupsd.conf is helpful too. (Make sure you set a size appropriate to your system RAM size though.)

Printing - openSUSE

Quote Originally Posted by deano_ferrari View Post
    Try
    Code:
    lpr /usr/share/cups/data/testprint
    Damm, it's been an hour. Canceling the job, but the printer isn't responsive to that, either.

Quote Originally Posted by deano_ferrari
    Are you printing to a local or remote printer? What model? (This may depend on the size of the PDF and the printer language involved).
    I have a Deskjet 3550 (USB) on my server. The PDFs are one page, plain text. I've printed many in this format in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by deano_ferrari
    You may find decreasing the printing DPI, and increasing the RIPCache value in /etc/cups/cupsd.conf is helpful too. (Make sure you set a size appropriate to your system RAM size though.)
    Thing is, this only started a few days ago. I haven't touched the configuration in that time, and it's set for draft grayscale. There's something wrong with the communication. Checked the connections, those look okay. I'll try the RIPCache

It's about time to upgrade. We'll see if this makes any headway.