Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Cannot connect Samsung Galaxy S3 (Android 4) via USB cable

Default Re: [SOLVED] Cannot connect Samsung Galaxy S3 (Android 4) via USB cable

Following with interest. The work around I used was to install the app AndSMB and transfer my files via. WiFi.

Default Re: Cannot connect Samsung Galaxy S3 (Android 4) via USB cable

Quote Originally Posted by MirceaKitsune View Post
    I've been trying to get this working for days, but it seems to be a more difficult issue than I imagined.
    Not sure if this is of any help/use to anyone, but I found it easy to connect and exchange files between openSUSE and a USB-connected Samsung Galaxy S3 (with Android 4.1.x) after invoking the following:

Code:
    sh-4.2$ su -
    sh-4.2$ zypper in banshee-dmp-mtp
    sh-4.2$

Ahh... I mostly forgot about this thread. I tried connecting my SGS3 via USB recently, and could say things are getting better: The latest version of KDE includes kio_mtp and the packages it needs, so the device is now detected and mounted. But the connection is very buggy! The mount point was in some weird directory with a lot of symbols, sometimes changing if I remember right. The connection would drop after a minute, and I had to reconnect the device. File properties were also not persisted (eg: date modified) and copying files only worked one way (device to PC). So I'm sticking with the card reader to transfer my photos and videos, but eventually USB should work too.
    openSUSE Tumbleweed x64, KDE Framework 5

Quote Originally Posted by MirceaKitsune View Post
    I've been trying to get this working for days, but it seems to be a more difficult issue than I imagined. I have a Samsung Galaxy S3 smartphone, which I frequently connect to my computer for file transfers in Windows. Unfortunately, some Android developers were dumb and removed the Mass Storage option from version 4.0 of Android. It can only be connected through MTP (Media Transfer Protocol) and PTP (for digital cameras). While in Windows 7 I have no problem with either mode, neither will connect on OpenSuse 12.2 64bit (KDE 4.8.5).

I firstly tried MTP which is the default. Once I plug my device into an USB port, the notifier pops up and informs me a new device has been connected (Portable Media Player). If I click to open it with Dolphin, I'm taken to the camera:/ page. The full path where my device gets mounted is camera:/Samsung GT-P7310/P7510/N7000/I9100/Galaxy Tab 7.7/10.1/S2/Nexus/Note@usb:001,010/ which IMO indicates a problem by itself. The last folder there is empty and cannot be accessed, where I later noticed that Dolphin prints the message "The process for the camera protocol died unexpectedly".

I tried PTP mode too, which also mounts the device in camera:/ (the notifier now calls it Camera). This time the device is partly accessible, but only a few files and folders are visible from everything contained in the storage. The location this time is camera:/USB PTP Class Camera@usb:001,014/store_00010001/ for the internal memory and camera:/USB PTP Class Camera@usb:001,014/store_00020002/ for the micro-SD card (I think). The first path is the one that's partly readable, while the second is displayed as an empty folder.

As MTP is the right way, I googled more information as to how this can be worked around. Several pages suggested I upgrade libmtp9 to version 1.1.4 since it supposedly added support for the S3 (compared to 1.1.3 distributed with OpenSuse), but that didn't change anything. I also installed mtpfs and mtp-tools, but it hasn't resolved the problem either. Someone else said to use mtpfs in the console, which I also did. It once again notices the device, but it fails connecting to it after a minute with an error. Here is my output:

Code:
    mircea@linux-qz0r:~> mtpfs
    Listing raw device(s)
    Device 0 (VID=04e8 and PID=6860) is a Samsung GT P7310/P7510/N7000/I9070/I9100/I9300 Galaxy Tab 7.7/10.1/S2/S3/Nexus/Note/Y.
       Found 1 device(s):
       Samsung: GT P7310/P7510/N7000/I9070/I9100/I9300 Galaxy Tab 7.7/10.1/S2/S3/Nexus/Note/Y (04e8:6860) @ bus 1, dev 15
    Attempting to connect device
    PTP_ERROR_IO: failed to open session, trying again after resetting USB interface
    LIBMTP libusb: Attempt to reset device
    Listing File Information on Device with name: GT-I9300
    fuse: missing mountpoint parameter
    mircea@linux-qz0r:~>
    Does anyone else have the S3 (or any Android 4 device with the same structure) and can explain what to do to get the S3 connecting properly via MTP?

SIMPLER, BETTER SOLUTION, at least for me

i have a jelly bean phone. i can get the pre-mtp (mtp = aacchh) connection to my phone from debian often, but sometimes can't. when can't, i reboot the phone and can always then get connected and just use the phone as a usb stick. much better from my experience of mtp. the stuff seems to me to be very broken. i used it the other day, btw, and when later i rebooted my debian system, there were problems with the window manager startup. i don't trust mtp. and i don't trust phone/tablet vendors who try to force us to use (uugghh) mtp.

does anyone know what problem the suits found in the older phone-storage access?

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567