12.2 KDE4.9.1 Wants to Downgrade?

I have recently installed 12.2, and then upgraded KDE to 4.9.1 by adding the appropriate KDE repos, and then switching the system files to those repos in YAST. Since then every time I try to update my system I am offered Opensuse-2012-588 which is KDE 4.8.5 stable update. I don’t understand why I am being offered this ‘update’ given that KDE is now running at 4.9.1 ‘Release 561’, and the repos have been switched. I have set out below the current state of my repos:

#  | Alias                   | Name                          | Enabled | Refresh
---+-------------------------+-------------------------------+---------+--------
 1 | KDE_49                  | KDE_49                        | Yes     | Yes    
 2 | KDE_Extra               | KDE_Extra                     | Yes     | Yes    
 3 | Packman Repository      | Packman Repository            | Yes     | Yes    
 4 | libdvdcss repository    | libdvdcss repository          | Yes     | Yes    
 5 | nVidia Graphics Drivers | nVidia Graphics Drivers       | Yes     | Yes    
 6 | repo-non-oss            | openSUSE-12.2-Non-Oss         | Yes     | Yes    
 7 | repo-oss                | openSUSE-12.2-Oss             | Yes     | Yes    
 8 | repo-update             | openSUSE-12.2-Update          | Yes     | Yes    
 9 | repo-update-non-oss     | openSUSE-12.2-Update-Non-Oss  | Yes     | Yes    
10 | spideroak-stable        | SpiderOak Stable Distribution | Yes     | No    

Can anyone suggest a reason and hopefully a solution for this behaviour?

Regards

Phil

On 09/18/12 10:46, pfnorris pecked at the keyboard and wrote:
> I have recently installed 12.2, and then upgraded KDE to 4.9.1 by adding
> the appropriate KDE repos, and then switching the system files to those
> repos in YAST. Since then every time I try to update my system I am
> offered Opensuse-2012-588 which is KDE 4.8.5 stable update. I don’t
> understand why I am being offered this ‘update’ given that KDE is now
> running at 4.9.1 ‘Release 561’, and the repos have been switched. I have
> set out below the current state of my repos:
>
>
> Code:
> --------------------
> # | Alias | Name | Enabled | Refresh
> —±------------------------±------------------------------±--------±-------
> 1 | KDE_49 | KDE_49 | Yes | Yes
> 2 | KDE_Extra | KDE_Extra | Yes | Yes
> 3 | Packman Repository | Packman Repository | Yes | Yes
> 4 | libdvdcss repository | libdvdcss repository | Yes | Yes
> 5 | nVidia Graphics Drivers | nVidia Graphics Drivers | Yes | Yes
> 6 | repo-non-oss | openSUSE-12.2-Non-Oss | Yes | Yes
> 7 | repo-oss | openSUSE-12.2-Oss | Yes | Yes
> 8 | repo-update | openSUSE-12.2-Update | Yes | Yes
> 9 | repo-update-non-oss | openSUSE-12.2-Update-Non-Oss | Yes | Yes
> 10 | spideroak-stable | SpiderOak Stable Distribution | Yes | No
> --------------------
>
>
> Can anyone suggest a reason and hopefully a solution for this
> behaviour?
>
> Regards
>
> Phil
>
>
Change the priority of the KDE 4.9 repo to a higher value (lower number).

Ken

Missing is the precise info on what you do. Like saying " every time I try to update my system". How? zypper something, YaST > Software > Software management > ???

Apologies

I ran the command

sudo zypper lp

and got the reply below:

Repository           | Name              | Version | Category    | Status | Summary                                          
---------------------+-------------------+---------+-------------+--------+--------------------------------------------------
openSUSE-12.2-Update | openSUSE-2012-588 | 1       | recommended | needed | KDE: 4.8.5 stable update                         
openSUSE-12.2-Update | openSUSE-2012-604 | 1       | recommended | needed | xorg-x11-server: build vnc server with DAMAGE e->
openSUSE-12.2-Update | openSUSE-2012-609 | 1       | recommended | needed | opensuse-manuals_en: updates the docs and two b->
openSUSE-12.2-Update | openSUSE-2012-611 | 1       | recommended | needed | SuSEfirewall2: fix FW_HTB_TUNE_DEV by removing ->
openSUSE-12.2-Update | openSUSE-2012-612 | 1       | recommended | needed | icedtea-web: update to 1.3                       
openSUSE-12.2-Update | openSUSE-2012-613 | 1       | recommended | needed | glib2: Fix regression introduced with the lates->
openSUSE-12.2-Update | openSUSE-2012-615 | 1       | security    | needed | bind: fixed a remote denial of service attack (->

Phil

These are recommended updates for the default openSUSE install. You added the KDE:/Release:/49 repo.
What was asked for is the info “How did you install KDE49?”. You’re supposed to either do a “Switch system packages” on the KDE49 repo, or do

su -c 'zypper dup --from KDE_49'

If after this you run a

su -c 'zypper ref && zypper up'

zypper will look for updates in the KDE repo where it concerns packages installed from that repo.

Any other way of upgrading to KDE49 will bring trouble like the system wanting to downgrade your entire KDE on every update

It’s just a bug and won’t be fixed for this release, maybe for 12.2.

http://forums.opensuse.org/english/get-technical-help-here/applications/478352-kde-4-9-a.html#post2486878

That is fine, but I also (mainly) asked how you do the updates that give you the headache. I repeat, you only say: " every time I try to update my system". This only a plain English text, which hides a lot of different technical possibilities. Others here allready suggest you use zypper patch and zypper up, but you did not tell what you use.

Thanks all for the replies. Looks like I’m not the first to fall over this bug as a fix is planned for 12.3. How do I mark this thread solved?

The bug simply doesn’t show up if you follow the steps I (and others in other threads) described.
From the GUI of Yast this means:

• Switch system packages on the KDE49 repo ( = zypper dup --from “KDE repo name” ), after that do nothing else but
  • Package - All packages - Upgrade if a newer version is available ( = zypper up )

The “zypper ref” runs on starting the GUI.

This doesn’t seem to go nicely if you have the application Gnucash installed (from either the ‘oss’ or ‘update’ repos). There are some issues with missing dependencies and a dup --from your-kde-repo will complain and asks me to uninstall gnucash. Then again, gnucash itself is having some dependency bugs worked out and those could solve this once it’s fixed.
https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=780827

I’ve found it easier to just lock/mask out the offending patch:

sudo zypper al -t patch openSUSE-2012-588

al is the add-lock option.

1. the OP is a KDE user, unlikely he has Gnucash installed.
  2. doing a switch to the “other” repo (as the OP did) and then doing only zypper patch and zyppe up or the equivalent YaST actions (which will NOT do a vendor switch) is the normal way of working. Thus indpendant of the fact that this bug might be relevant in a case and independant of the fact that one blocks this special patch, it is recommended to maintain your updates this way.
  3. the OP apperently still does not want to show how he tried to update where he gets his problem, thus how can we ever advise the ultimate way to recover from it? (Thus his message that this i solved is a bit strange, t is not solved for me).

Right - It appears I have introduced some confusion here - unintentionally. So I’ll try and clear it up.

I started off by using Yast to add the KDE 4.9 repos, and still in Yast I selected the option under repositories to switch the installed system files to that repository. As I understood things at that stage that was all I needed to do to make the switch permanent. After I had done that I noticed that the update icon had appeared in the system tray (Apper?), and that amongst the updates it was offering was the Opensuse-2012-588 which is KDE 4.8.5 stable update. As I did not want that I did not action the update.

I then ran ‘sudo zypper lp’ to get a zypper view of what was available, and got the same thing, so came on here to query it before actually doing any updates and introducing something that I did not want. Following the various replies I followed the advice in post #5, and that worked - more or less- in that it only applied the correct updates, and specifically advised that the offending KDE ‘updates’ would not be installed. Although I have to say that as far as I can see these commands are only doing the same thing that I had already previously done with Yast.

As a matter of interest after all this Apper still insists on offering the update, So I have disabled updating through Apper. I have also locked out this specific update so in future I will not be troubled by it. So for me my original question is solved. I think that the behaviour displayed is a bug, and it would appear that it has already been reported as a fix is planned in 12.3 according to another thread. I simply asked how to mark the thread as solved as I understood this was the courteous thing to do.

Phil

@pfnorris: all clear now. Uninstall Apper, it’s confusing since it apparently does not “listen” to decisions in the field of vendor change. I know it’s being worked on, had some hope it would be fixed for 12.2 / 4.9 but it isn’t.

+1 from me. And as you do not tell you use Apper, how can we know? Most of us are non Apper users, but that does not make us clairvoyant :wink:

:wink:

@pfnorris
Good to hear you’ve found a workaround that works on your end.

As for marking the thread solved, there isn’t really a check-box or anything.
What you can do, is when you make a follow up post, update the “Title:” portion and insert the text [SOLVED] somewhere.
I think you can update the title when you make a post in “Advanced” mode.

Example:
Re: 12.2 KDE4.9.1 Wants to Downgrade? change to… Re: [SOLVED] 12.2 KDE4.9.1 Wants to Downgrade?

There is no need to mark a thread solved. As you see, the discussion can continue after the OP is satisfied with the results. It is sufficient if the OP reports that in a post.