Thread: Writing metadata to images with digiKam

Default Writing metadata to images with digiKam

I'm trying to write my digiKam "tags" as tags in the files themselves so that I can access them across my computers and operating systems. I think I'm supposed to be able to do this by using the "Album" menu and choosing "write metadata to images" or under "Image", select "write metadata to selected images". It also seems to be possible from the "captions/tags" tab on the right side, where there is a "more" button at the bottom that you can press and select it. I'm hoping then that I will be able to right click on a picture in, for example, dolphin, access its properties and see the tags listed under "information" This does not seem to work. Am I missing something here? Is it supposed to work this way? It seems to be trying to write the information sometimes (I get the progress bar moving, but only with the captions/tags route), but nothing seems to happen. The tag does not appear under "information" in file properties. Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Writing metadata to images with digiKam

I do not think you can assume that a file manager like Dolphin does much more then providing information about a file as it is found in the file system itself. That is meta information about the file.

Nevertheless I see that Dolphin shows the width and height of a file containg a JPEG. That is allready beyond the meta information, becuase it has to be read from the file. I doubt that Dolphion goes any further. Think about it, there are many, many types of files. Even when it Dolphin would be able to understand "only" the most popular formats amongst them, that still would burden Doolphin with a lot of code that is normaly in applications like Digikam, Gimp, Audacity, etc. It would make a monstruous bunch of code.
    Henk van Velden

Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    I do not think you can assume that a file manager like Dolphin does much more then providing information about a file as it is found in the file system itself. That is meta information about the file.

Nevertheless I see that Dolphin shows the width and height of a file containg a JPEG. That is allready beyond the meta information, becuase it has to be read from the file. I doubt that Dolphion goes any further. Think about it, there are many, many types of files. Even when it Dolphin would be able to understand "only" the most popular formats amongst them, that still would burden Doolphin with a lot of code that is normaly in applications like Digikam, Gimp, Audacity, etc. It would make a monstruous bunch of code.
    Thanks for the reply. You can add tags to a .JPEG in Dolphin under the "information" tab of "properties". Same with Konqueror. It even gives you a list of possible tags to add, ones you have already used. I suspect that most file managers would pretty much have to have that kind of code in it nowadays. People just expect it of them. I'm wondering if it's a permissions thing that prevents digiKam from writing metadata to the file. It doesn't strike me that I'm doing anything too unusual. I don't know enough about .jpg and .jpeg files to know what to call its metadata system, but isn't it exif or something like that? I'll have to look it up. Thanks again.

There are of course no special write permissions for Digicam or any program. There are permission for you as the running user. You can write or not using whatever program. This depends on the normal Unix/Linux read/write/execute permissions for owner/group/world. That can bee seen in the Permissions tab of the Properties. Or better doing an
    Code:
    ls -l <file>
    where <file> is of course to be replaced with the filename and the path leading to it.
    Henk van Velden

Thanks again for the reply. I will see if I can find some answers from the digiKam website. Their forums seem non-existent though. And I think I found that they use someone else's (My View - Issue Tracker) software to manage the metadata in digiKam. I'm getting all this from their support page here ( Support | digiKam - Photo Management Program). I'll see what happens when I join their mailing list. Opensuse does not have the most recent version of digiKam. The problem might disappear during and upgrade.

Smile Re: Writing metadata to images with digiKam

To make info available to Dolphin I did the following:
    Digikam > Settings > Configure Digikam then Metadata Icon toward the right click on Nepomuk tab . Check "Store metadata from Digikam in Nepomuk" and Click on Fully Resynchronize. Then the info was shown in the Dolphin Information Panel (F11). You can right click on photo in the Information Panel and configure what info is displayed.

I copied a JPG photo with Title, Caption and tags over to a Winblows 7 machine and all the info was displayed in Windows file browser.

Hope this helps you.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostborg View Post
    To make info available to Dolphin I did the following:
    Digikam > Settings > Configure Digikam then Metadata Icon toward the right click on Nepomuk tab . Check "Store metadata from Digikam in Nepomuk" and Click on Fully Resynchronize. Then the info was shown in the Dolphin Information Panel (F11). You can right click on photo in the Information Panel and configure what info is displayed.

I copied a JPG photo with Title, Caption and tags over to a Winblows 7 machine and all the info was displayed in Windows file browser.

Hope this helps you.
    Thanks Ghostborg, I got the same answer yesterday from the Digikam mailing list. I had assumed that Dolphin and Windows Explorer both wrote metadato to the file. They do not. So when metadata I wrote in Dolphin didn't show up in digiKam and vice versa I was concerned that the problem was DigiKam and that it wasn't saving it to pictures that I needed tagged for use in Windows 7. DigiKam is doing what I want it to with the metadata. Dolphin wasn't doing what I expected it to do. It uses Nepomuk. Thanks again.