Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: KDE 4.9

Default KDE 4.9

I followed this guide on installing KDE 4.9.1 on OS 12.2. Everything seemed to have gone well, and I was happily running KDE 4.9. Monday comes along and in with a bunch of updates is "openSUSE-2012-588 - KDE: 4.8.5 stable update", marked as an important update. Needless to say, I deselected that in Apper and install all the other updates, but now I'm stuck with that, having to deselect it each time an update comes in. Today, however, there are two other similar looking updates that I'm worried about installing: "openSUSE-2012-592 - java-1_7_0-openjdk: security fix for remote exploit" and "openSUSE-2012-590 - alsa-plugins: clean up the left over config path". All three are listed as version 1 with no installed version or size listed in Apper. What concerns me about the two new updates is the similar appearance (openSUSE-2012-*), to the 4.8.5 KDE update and not having an installed version listed.

How can I get rid of the 4.8.5 "update" (or, more importantly, why is it appearing if I'm using 4.9.1), and are the other two updates related? Most concerning is the alsa-plugins. How can I tell if they go with 4.8.5 or 4.9.1?

Here is zypper lr of my currently enabled repos:

KDE_49
    KDE_Extra
    Oracle VirtualBox openSUSE
    Packman Repository
    libdvdcss repository
    nVidia Graphics Drivers
    openSUSE-12.2-Non-Oss
    openSUSE-12.2-Oss
    openSUSE-12.2-Update
    openSUSE-12.2-Update-Non-Oss

And here's what they look like in Apper:

Last edited by suseconvert; 12-Sep-2012 at 17:18. Reason: Tried to make subject not so general, but couldn't change it.

Default Re: KDE 4.9

Perhaps try going into yast online update and marking the upgrades to "never install" or similar. (Right click menu).

OK. Didn't know about Online Update, I've been using Software Management (Install/Remove Software from the menu) - thank you for that. As soon as I open Software Update, it complains that "patchpenSUSE-2012-588-1.noarch conflicts with libkcddb4.x86_64 < 4.8.5-2.5.1 provided by libkcddb4-4.8.4-3.2.3.x86_64" I told it to not install that patch and marked it to never install. Both java and alsa seem to be ok, so I went ahead and installed them. If they break something, I'll deal with that at that time.

I see that my original problem stems from openSUSE-2012-588 being a system patch. Shouldn't patches check to see if what they're trying to patch has a version grater than or equal to what is installed on the system? I have KDE 4.9.1 installed, the patch should be able to determine that and not try to install an older version.

You snuck that in while I was replying to nightwishfan. Thanks.

Blog Entries

FYI: I don't use Apper, never will. I actually remove it.

Once you add out of release repos you should follow the principle of using the package switch on it
    I wrote a mention here about 4.9 http://forums.opensuse.org/forums/en...9-upgrade.html

Once everything is switched the way you want it. Simply run: zypper up
    Or do this: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/10573557/So...tem_update.png
    Leap 15.1_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

Thanks caf9426. I did the pointy-clicky way described in the system_update.png. The 4.9 upgrade looks to be instructions to do what I followed in the blog I linked to in the original post, only in a pointy-clicky way.

I too dislike Apper, but it was installed by default, and I haven't gotten around to finding a replacement for it yet. I do like to be notified (read, reminded every now and then) to update the system on a regular basis.

Right now, I seem to be having motherboard issues. I'm getting consistent segfaults during video processing, and I don't think it's software related. It was happening in Kubuntu as well, so I know it's not openSUSEs fault. I've got to work on that before going further into the openSUSE world.

On 09/12/12 20:26, suseconvert pecked at the keyboard and wrote:
    > I followed 'this' (http://tinyurl.com/9y2chyf) guide on installing KDE
    > 4.9.1 on OS 12.2. Everything seemed to have gone well, and I was
    > happily running KDE 4.9. Monday comes along and in with a bunch of
    > updates is "-openSUSE-2012-588 - KDE: 4.8.5 stable update-", marked as
    > an important update. Needless to say, I deselected that in Apper and
    > install all the other updates, but now I'm stuck with that, having to
    > deselect it each time an update comes in. Today, however, there are two
    > other similar looking updates that I'm worried about installing:
    > "-openSUSE-2012-592 - java-1_7_0-openjdk: security fix for remote
    > exploit-" and "-openSUSE-2012-590 - alsa-plugins: clean up the left over
    > config path-". All three are listed as version 1 with no installed
    > version or size listed in Apper. What concerns me about the two new
    > updates is the similar appearance (openSUSE-2012-*), to the 4.8.5 KDE
    > update and not having an installed version listed.
    >
    > How can I get rid of the 4.8.5 "update" (or, more importantly, why is
    > it appearing if I'm using 4.9.1), and are the other two updates related?
    > Most concerning is the alsa-plugins. How can I tell if they go with
    > 4.8.5 or 4.9.1?
    >
    > Here is zypper lr of my currently enabled repos:
    >
    > KDE_49
    > KDE_Extra
    > Oracle VirtualBox openSUSE
    > Packman Repository
    > libdvdcss repository
    > nVidia Graphics Drivers
    > openSUSE-12.2-Non-Oss
    > openSUSE-12.2-Oss
    > openSUSE-12.2-Update
    > openSUSE-12.2-Update-Non-Oss
    >
    > And here's what they look like in Apper:
    >
    > [image: http://i.imgur.com/T3IfJ.png]
    >
    >

Also try giving your 4.9 repo a higher priority.

This zypper bug will not be fixed for 12.2 but there is a fix planned for 12.3.

In the meantime, mask out that patch so that it is ignored:

Code:
    zypper addlock -t patch openSUSE-2012-588-1
    https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=736100#c19 for more info.

Quote Originally Posted by saultdon View Post
    This zypper bug will not be fixed for 12.2 but there is a fix planned for 12.3.

In the meantime, mask out that patch so that it is ignored:

Code:
    zypper addlock -t patch openSUSE-2012-588-1
    https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=736100#c19 for more info.
    And how many future patches are going to be in a similar situation in the next 18 months? This is something that needs to be fixed, not ignored. How can a patch apply itself to a system when the files or packages it's supposed to be patching are no longer installed? This bug not only breaks the whole patching system and places all official patches under suspicion, it opens the door for an unstable, or perhaps even unusable system.

For the next 18 months I'm going to have to thoroughly examine every patch from openSUSE. This is not how I envisioned my move to openSUSE and it makes the transition a bit uncomfortable..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast