Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: dual boot windows 7 and opensuse 12.2

Blog Entries

Default Re: dual boot windows 7 and opensuse 12.2

Quote Originally Posted by totalled View Post
    I was once and for a number of years a dedicated SUSE user. Since EOL of 11.1, I've been drifting around from one distro to another, never finding the all-round comfort I had with 1^3. So I thought I'd try out 12.2 for old times sake. Sad to say, SUSE always a sharp dresser, but still has some trouble ambulating about in those stiletto heals. I'll use this dual booting problem as an example.

Dual booting is essential to your average Linux user. Except in cubicle land you just can't do it all in either Linux or M$. And it seems everyone (except M$ and now SUSE agrees) M$ well because they're are M$ but SUSE -- what happened here ? I distinctly remember as recently as 11.4 there was no problem dual booting. But now it's an issue.

SUSE that was installed from the DVD next to "7" will start fine but "7" will be inaccessible. If you go with the SUSELive CD you will not even get past the "create partitions" before being bashed with a "Calling YaST module inst_... has failed. This is most likely a bug..." message if you proceed at once to "Installation". Only if you wait for "Installation" that you get from "OpenSUSE KDE Live" do you finally get a working dual boot configuration.

I have gone through Debian, Mint, Fedora, Ubuntu, Slack and for all their other issues at least dual booting is one thing that works on all of them.
    I keep my windows install on a computer whose dual screens sit beside my openSUSE dual screens, making 4 in all, with openSUSE and windows simultaneously linked to the same keyboard and mouse with the app synergy. I wouldn't dream of dual booting because when I want an app from windows that doesn't run in wine, I have no need to reboot, it's right there at the end of a mouse click.

Now, for your problem, there's not any advice I can give you because you haven't laid out the actual problem except to say that you really disappointed and it must be a flaw in openSUSE. The tools are at fault, not the technician, a difficulty encountered through past ages.
    Leap 42.3 & 15.1(Beta) &KDE
    FYIs from the days of yore

On 2013-02-22, swerdna <swerdna@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote:
    >
    > totalled;2529209 Wrote:
    >> I was once and for a number of years a dedicated SUSE user. Since EOL of
    >> 11.1, I've been drifting around from one distro to another, never
    >> finding the all-round comfort I had with 1^3. So I thought I'd try out
    >> 12.2 for old times sake. Sad to say, SUSE always a sharp dresser, but
    >> still has some trouble ambulating about in those stiletto heals. I'll
    >> use this dual booting problem as an example.

<SNIP>
    > Now, for your problem, there's not any advice I can give you because
    > you haven't laid out the actual problem except to say that you really
    > disappointed and it must be a flaw in openSUSE.

Wrong subforum IMO. He's illustrating his `dual booting problem as an example' of his misgivings with `SUSE' 12.2 (@OP:
    it's openSUSE btw). I believe the post is better directed towards Soapbox.

Quote Originally Posted by flymail View Post
    On 2013-02-22, swerdna <swerdna@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote:
    >
    > totalled;2529209 Wrote:
    >> I was once and for a number of years a dedicated SUSE user. Since EOL of
    >> 11.1, I've been drifting around from one distro to another, never
    >> finding the all-round comfort I had with 1^3. So I thought I'd try out
    >> 12.2 for old times sake. Sad to say, SUSE always a sharp dresser, but
    >> still has some trouble ambulating about in those stiletto heals. I'll
    >> use this dual booting problem as an example.

<SNIP>
    > Now, for your problem, there's not any advice I can give you because
    > you haven't laid out the actual problem except to say that you really
    > disappointed and it must be a flaw in openSUSE.

Wrong subforum IMO. He's illustrating his `dual booting problem as an example' of his misgivings with `SUSE' 12.2 (@OP:
    it's openSUSE btw). I believe the post is better directed towards Soapbox.
    Hmm, it read more like a CV . However it does say there was an issue with the DVD installer, and a bug with liveCD installer, but no direct request for help. Not a very strong opinion expressed as for Soapbox. Just chit-chat perhaps, to have discussion about the old days.

PS. The forum is already littered with advice and threads on dual-booting.

On 2013-02-22, consused <consused@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote:
    > Hmm, it read more like a CV . However it does say there was an issue
    > with the DVD installer, and a bug with liveCD installer, but no direct
    > request for help. Not a very strong opinion expressed as for Soapbox.
    > Just chit-chat perhaps, to have discussion about the old days.

Haha, perhaps you're right! But I don't think mutual misposts between chit-chat/soapbox will ruffle any feathers. My
    understanding is that Install/Boot/Login posts (and other troubleshooting posts) are about asking about help or
    informing everyone about specific bugs WITH solutions/workarounds.

> PS. The forum is already littered with advice and threads on
    > dual-booting.

I've noticed a recent substantial increase in the number of posts asking about dual-booting. I wonder whether it would
    be a good idea to propose a separate `Dualboot/multiboot' subforum, that includes stickies that makes such advice more
    immediately accessible to aspiring dualbooters, including for Windows users looking to become prospective openSUSE
    dabblers.

Quote Originally Posted by flymail View Post
    My understanding is that Install/Boot/Login posts (and other troubleshooting posts) are about asking about help or
    informing everyone about specific bugs WITH solutions/workarounds.
    Indeed, mine too. Some users don't like asking for help directly, they just imply that a resolution is needed, and hope a volunteer takes the bait.

> PS. The forum is already littered with advice and threads on
    > dual-booting.

I've noticed a recent substantial increase in the number of posts asking about dual-booting. I wonder whether it would
    be a good idea to propose a separate `Dualboot/multiboot' subforum...
    Or encourage the use of the search facility. I honestly don't believe it's a broad enough topic to justify its own subforum when compared to the existing topics, and they are significant in number already.

Of course Grub2 should make multi-booting easier <cough, splutter>.

On 2013-02-22 16:06, consused wrote:
    > Of course Grub2 should make multi-booting easier <cough, splutter>.

Multibooting is complex, always has been, and grub2 makes it more
    difficult because few people here understand it and can help with it. I
    can not help, for instance, and I'm not a novice.

There are issues with how to partition correctly, and there are many
    ways. One or two disk. Internal or external. Where to place grub. Which
    grub.

On top, UEFI. Needed or not. One system in classical mode, another in
    uefi mode. Hybrid modes. classical vs GPT partitioning...

BIOS/UEFI config. How to put the computer in the appropriate mode.

/IT IS/ a complex issue.

Right of my head, i don't know if there is a document that explains it all.

Ah, and I don't believe that other distros have it easier, though.

--
    Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
    (from 12.1 x86_64 "Asparagus" at Telcontar)

/IT IS/ a complex issue.

Right of my head, i don't know if there is a document that explains it all.

Ah, and I don't believe that other distros have it easier, though.

--
    Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

Not all have it easier, but some yes they do. Try Linux Mint >12. A relatively small iso for download and for some simple minded users with just a laptop and unavoidable reliance on M$ as the other OS a very smooth installation. Their "looknfeel" leaves a lot off the table and don't even think of using it with BTRFS but it loads with "7" whether "7" was your own install or the factory GPT type install.
    Again, I wish openSUSE was as easy

To clarify the proper path that worked to install 12.2 in a dual-boot context for me was:

Boot from the Suse 12.2 Live KDE Disk.

Once the Suse Live is up start your WiFi or other BB connection

Click on the "Installation" item

When you get to the partitioning section after selecting your time zone select manual (for experts) partitioning option
    ( This will show you the parts where M$ is already loaded so you do not over-write them )

Create a /boot mounted part with >90MB with an EXT2 filesystem

For simplicity you only need one other part for suse: root or "/" the -- file system choice is arbitrary IMO

Afterwords, you will create your account and the root account and that's it

Again this is for other linux users who are kind of lost in the Grub2 woods

You do not need a separate /boot partition except for special needs.

You will need the amount of space you intend for openSUSE non partitioned on the disk. So in general you will need to shrink the existing Windows partition(s) to leave the space to install. This is most safely done from Windows though the installer will do it also.

Recommended partitions are swap (1-2X memory), root (also known as / set at 10-20+ gig depending on needs) the rest in home (/home) that is where personal data and files go.

Note that if you have a UEFI BIOS or GPT partitioning you should come back for more info. These are relatively new and additional instructions may be needed

There is no single right way to partition or install. Linux is very configurable so you can make it fight your needs not fit you needs to the OS like other OS's

Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    You do not need a separate /boot partition except for special needs.

You will need the amount of space you intend for openSUSE non partitioned on the disk. So in general you will need to shrink the existing Windows partition(s) to leave the space to install. This is most safely done from Windows though the installer will do it also.

Recommended partitions are swap (1-2X memory), root (also known as / set at 10-20+ gig depending on needs) the rest in home (/home) that is where personal data and files go.

Note that if you have a UEFI BIOS or GPT partitioning you should come back for more info. These are relatively new and additional instructions may be needed

There is no single right way to partition or install. Linux is very configurable so you can make it fight your needs not fit you needs to the OS like other OS's
    That's really it, in a nutshell. It's not that complicated, but a small mistake can lead to a non-bootable Windows partition, so be very careful, and if you're unsure about some option, don't choose it unless you fully understand what it does. Because a non-bootable Windows partition is a nightmare if your computer didn't come with an installation or restore disc, which most don't (which I find 100% inexcusable).

The above applies only to Windows 7 and earlier.

I recently bought a Windows 8 laptop, that has a UEFI BIOS. I did an Ubuntu installation the way I always have, but afterwards, Windows 8 was unbootable, and I had no recovery disc. I do not consider this a bad thing though, Windows 8 was the biggest pile of rubbish I have ever seen, and would not even let me log on until I provided MS with my name, age, gender, phone number, email address and birthdate, as well as involuntarily forcing me to set up a Windows Live account. Which was awful enough, but the OS itself seemed to be designed by a 3 year-old with ADD.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast