Thread: systemsettings not working in 12.2

Default systemsettings not working in 12.2

I tried to launch systemsettings as root in my freshly installed 12.2 and when I do I get:

Code:
    linux-bobb:/home/BobTheBull # systemsettings
    QDBusConnection: session D-Bus connection created before QCoreApplication. Application may misbehave.
    systemsettings(6039): KUniqueApplication: Cannot find the D-Bus session server:  "Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken." 

systemsettings(6038): KUniqueApplication: Pipe closed unexpectedly. 

linux-bobb:/home/BobTheBull #
    I don't remember ever any trouble doing this. When I do it as username it launches, but with the following messages:

Code:
    BobTheBull@linux-bobb:~> systemsettings
    QDBusConnection: session D-Bus connection created before QCoreApplication. Application may misbehave.
    BobTheBull@linux-bobb:~>
    What gives here?

Blog Entries

Exclamation Re: systemsettings not working in 12.2

Quote Originally Posted by BobTheBull View Post
    I tried to launch systemsettings as root in my freshly installed 12.2 and when I do I get:

Code:
    linux-bobb:/home/BobTheBull # systemsettings
    systemsettings(6039): KUniqueApplication: Cannot find the D-Bus session server:  "Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken." 

systemsettings(6038): KUniqueApplication: Pipe closed unexpectedly. 

linux-bobb:/home/BobTheBull #
    I don't remember ever any trouble doing this. When I do it as username it launches, but with the following messages:

Code:
    BobTheBull@linux-bobb:~> systemsettings
    BobTheBull@linux-bobb:~>
    What gives here?
    So I am not seeing this problem when run it as a standard user from terminal, but I suggest you should run this command from the KDE menu / Configure Desktop application as a standard user and not as root. You will see no such problems then.

Thank You,
    My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

Its James again from Austin, Texas

Default Re: systemsettings not working in 12.2

The reason for doing this is to change the window background to red when ever you open a window as root, just as a reminder. In previous versions you did this by opening systemsettings as root and change the color in app appearance.

Just open a terminal and run the command kdesu systemsettings

Blog Entries

Use the following to tweak root-owned account settings from regular user KDE session
    Code:
    kdesu systemsettings
    BTW, I get the same if launching systemsettings (regular user) from the CLI. (Not sure if there's anything to worry about with those messages.)

OK. My first thought was, what's the diff in running kdesu systemsettings & sudo systemsettings.
    Well, there must be, because the former works and the latter does not.

As my tag says, I am a student Penguin, so if anyone can enlighten me I would be grateful.

Blog Entries

The kdesu allows you to run a graphical application as root, but usually root has no access to the user X-session. So, using kdesu adds an authentication cookie display to a temporary .Xauthority file to get around this. It's removed again after the command exits.

On 2012-09-10 00:06, BobTheBull wrote:
    >
    > I tried to launch systemsettings as root in my freshly installed 12.2
    > and when I do I get:
    >
    >
    > Code:
    > --------------------
    > linux-bobb:/home/BobTheBull # systemsettings
    > --------------------

You are using "su". Use instead "su -", not forgetting the dash.

--
    Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
    (from 11.4 x86_64 "Celadon" (Minas Tirith))