Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Screen goes to blank in KDE 4.9.1, openSUSE 12.2

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Malaysia +8 GMT
    Posts
    198

    Question Screen goes to blank in KDE 4.9.1, openSUSE 12.2

    Geckos !

    need some advices here, my 12.2, x86_64 just upgraded to KDE 4.9.1 recently. Everything just fine except my screen goes to blank after 5 mins idle despite I am already uncheck the screen-saver and screen energy saving setting. Things however working in the previous KDE 4.8, anybody counter these?

    Thank you.
    Intel G2020 (Ivy), Asus P8H77-M LE, Tumbleweed, Gnome 3.24 on 120GB SSD
    Intel i5 4590 (Haswell), MSI B85M-G43, MSI GTX750Ti, Tumbleweed, Gnome 3.24 on 120GB SSD

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Austin - Texas
    Posts
    10,140
    Blog Entries
    48

    Smile Re: Screen goes to blank in KDE 4.9.1, openSUSE 12.2

    Quote Originally Posted by powerw00t View Post
    Geckos !

    need some advices here, my 12.2, x86_64 just upgraded to KDE 4.9.1 recently. Everything just fine except my screen goes to blank after 5 mins idle despite I am already uncheck the screen-saver and screen energy saving setting. Things however working in the previous KDE 4.8, anybody counter these?

    Thank you.
    Navigate through hidden folder $HOME/.kde4/share/config/kscreensaverrc, edit the file as a standard user, yourself, not root. In the file we may find:

    [ScreenSaver]
    DPMS-dependent=false
    PlasmaEnabled=true
    Saver=glmatrix.desktop
    Timeout=600

    You want to add the line I show in bold to the remaining existing text and save the file and see what you get then.

    Thank You,
    My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

    Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

    Its James again from Austin, Texas

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Malaysia +8 GMT
    Posts
    198

    Default Re: Screen goes to blank in KDE 4.9.1, openSUSE 12.2

    Quote Originally Posted by jdmcdaniel3 View Post
    Navigate through hidden folder $HOME/.kde4/share/config/kscreensaverrc, edit the file as a standard user, yourself, not root. In the file we may find:

    [ScreenSaver]
    DPMS-dependent=false
    PlasmaEnabled=true
    Saver=glmatrix.desktop
    Timeout=600

    You want to add the line I show in bold to the remaining existing text and save the file and see what you get then.

    Thank You,
    I am just navigate to that path to find any possible solution and yes, adding the bold config text did the trick and it is working!

    Thank you.
    Intel G2020 (Ivy), Asus P8H77-M LE, Tumbleweed, Gnome 3.24 on 120GB SSD
    Intel i5 4590 (Haswell), MSI B85M-G43, MSI GTX750Ti, Tumbleweed, Gnome 3.24 on 120GB SSD

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Austin - Texas
    Posts
    10,140
    Blog Entries
    48

    Default Re: Screen goes to blank in KDE 4.9.1, openSUSE 12.2

    Quote Originally Posted by powerw00t View Post
    I am just navigate to that path to find any possible solution and yes, adding the bold config text did the trick and it is working!

    Thank you.
    I was very happy to help.

    Thank You,
    My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

    Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

    Its James again from Austin, Texas

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Posts
    19,662
    Blog Entries
    14

    Default Re: Screen goes to blank in KDE 4.9.1, openSUSE 12.2

    Quote Originally Posted by powerw00t View Post
    I am just navigate to that path to find any possible solution and yes, adding the bold config text did the trick and it is working!

    Thank you.
    See, Kari, the forums are the place to be. Facebook is good for posting the result, not for finding solutions
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

    ° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

    https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Board#Members
    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

  6. #6

    Default Re: Screen goes to blank in KDE 4.9.1, openSUSE 12.2

    Quote Originally Posted by Knurpht View Post
    See, Kari, the forums are the place to be. Facebook is good for posting the result, not for finding solutions
    There are 2 places to configure screen going blank:

    1. power saving
    2. display configuration (screen saver)

    After I found the second one, I was able to make the screen stay on.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Maryland, US
    Posts
    623

    Default Re: Screen goes to blank in KDE 4.9.1, openSUSE 12.2

    Quote Originally Posted by r0ckteacher View Post
    There are 2 places to configure screen going blank:

    1. power saving
    2. display configuration (screen saver)

    After I found the second one, I was able to make the screen stay on.
    Just trying to clarify, the original OP is running KDE or Gnome as it indicates in the sig?

    In KDE

    If you type "power" in the Kickstart menu you end up with two related entries:
    1) Energy savings
    2) Advanced settings

    If you type in "screen" you get various screen utilities including "screen saver".
    If you type in "display" you get various display monitor type things

    It is not obvious to me exactly where this setting would be changed.

    Which one of these settings is actually equal the solution via settings in $HOME/.kde4/share/config/kscreensaverrc
    Or where is the correct GUI setting located if it is even possible?
    Kernel: 4.12.14-lp150.12.7-default x86_64 bits:
    64 Desktop: Gnome 3.26.2
    Distro: openSUSE Leap 15.0

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Austin - Texas
    Posts
    10,140
    Blog Entries
    48

    Smile Re: Screen goes to blank in KDE 4.9.1, openSUSE 12.2

    Quote Originally Posted by anika200 View Post
    Just trying to clarify, the original OP is running KDE or Gnome as it indicates in the sig?

    In KDE

    If you type "power" in the Kickstart menu you end up with two related entries:
    1) Energy savings
    2) Advanced settings

    If you type in "screen" you get various screen utilities including "screen saver".
    If you type in "display" you get various display monitor type things

    It is not obvious to me exactly where this setting would be changed.

    Which one of these settings is actually equal the solution via settings in $HOME/.kde4/share/config/kscreensaverrc
    Or where is the correct GUI setting located if it is even possible?
    For the Last File, open up Dolphin, Under View, Check Show Hidden Files and the navigate to:



    Of course, use your name and not mine. I am actually using a screen saver and this setting prevents the PC from going blank instead of using the screen saver you have selected. This setting is in addition to the Power Settings and Screen Saver meaning there are several places where you get blanked, Power Settings, The Screen Saver Settings & the DPMS setting which may be disabling the built-in Kernel Screen Blanker which works when no desktop is loaded at all. It is kind of desperate to have so many things that do the same thing and the inability to know which one did you in. Since turning Off the display screen when not is use is a good thing, a power saver and perhaps a monitor saver, no one is all that worried to put this mess together in one place I think.

    Thank You,
    My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

    Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

    Its James again from Austin, Texas

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •