Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: movin from 12.1 to 12.2 - how to rebuild the TBird with enigma

Default movin from 12.1 to 12.2 - how to rebuild the TBird with enigma

hello dear Community

movin from 12.1 to 12.2 - how to rebuild the TBird with enigma

i had tremendous of troubles with the setup of the Tbird - with the enigma-extension. Now it runs on the Notebook. Well - the question of the day is. How to move - and how to rebuild this in the
    12.2 again.

i think the setup of a fresh 12.2 will be the best - or would you suggest to just "upgrade to the new version!"

love to hear from you

greetings
    db1
    dilbert ;-)
    Wordpress-development - a Toolset: wpgear.org

Blog Entries

Default Re: movin from 12.1 to 12.2 - how to rebuild the TBird with enigma

I'm not sure what your question is here.

I did not have any problems installing enigmail. As I recall, you do have to install from the opensuse repos, and not directly from mozilla.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

hello dear Nrickert

many many thanks for these hints. Very valuable.

BTW - some told me that i can adopt / copy / take over the TBird - profile or something like that. So that i have all the keys and basic configurations.
    Is there any kind of saving-procedure that i have to go through!?

Love to hear from you
    dilbert ;-)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dilbertone View Post
    BTW - some told me that i can adopt / copy / take over the TBird - profile or something like that. So that i have all the keys and basic configurations.
    That's what I always do. It works very well.

Mostly, I am reinstalling on the same computer, so I keep the "/home" partition. I sometimes delete user config files such as ".kde4" to start over with configuring. But I always keep ".thunderbird" (for thunderbird) and ".mozilla" (for firefox). In my experience, mozilla software (both firefox and thunderbird) is very good about using old configurations and updating them to support new formats.

And, yes, when you keep ".thunderbird", your openPGP setup in thunderbird will be retained.
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

hello dear NRickert,

that means that you do not a FRESH Installation -

or - if so: how do you keep the "/home"-partition!? I do not know how to do such things.

please set me straigth if i did get you wrong...
    dilbert ;-)

nrickert was saying what he does.

the config for tbird is in the each users home in /home/username/.thunderbird directory if you are moving between machines you have to be sure that the permissions are correct for each user you are moving after the move.

hello dear gogalthorp

thx for the answer - well what should i say

Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    nrickert was saying what he does.

the config for tbird is in the each users home in /home/username/.thunderbird directory if you are moving between machines you have to be sure that the permissions are correct for each user you are moving after the move.
    close but no cigar ;-)

just kidding - but besides that: You miss the main point. We talk not about moving but about INSTALLATION,,,, and in my opinion this is a whole different story.

what i need to know is - are there any things that can be left back if we do a fresh installation!?

Can do a fresh installation on the SAME (!!! - to keep NRickerts words in mind here) machine, and keep the old home-directory. Is this possible!?

Or - and now i come to you gogalthorp - can we copy the config for TBird - within the home in home/username/.thunderbird directory - and safe this on a CD or DVD in order to move it from one installation to another... That said - your above words make more sense to me.

Well - just shed a light - i am pretty new to this topic.
    btw - or should i try out a zypper - upgrade!? without a fresh installation!?
    dilbert ;-)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dilbertone View Post
    that means that you do not a FRESH Installation -

or - if so: how do you keep the "/home"-partition!? I do not know how to do such things.

please set me straigth if i did get you wrong...
    When installing (using the install DVD image) on an existing machine,

1: I select new installation (not update)
    2: In the partition section of install, I select "Import partitioning" (not sure if that is the exact wording)

That gives me the same disk partitioning as previously used. It reformats the root partition and "/boot" partition (if I have a separate "/boot"). It leaves "/home" untouched, to be reused with existing files.

When it creates the user account that I specify during install, it notices that "/home/username" already exists for that user, and it gives the created user the same home directory and the same uid.

-- and I get to keep user settings made with the previous version of opensuse.
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

hello dear Nrickert -

many many thanks for the hints. Your mail helps alot.

Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    When installing (using the install DVD image) on an existing machine,

1: I select new installation (not update)
    2: In the partition section of install, I select "Import partitioning" (not sure if that is the exact wording)

That gives me the same disk partitioning as previously used. It reformats the root partition and "/boot" partition (if I have a separate "/boot"). It leaves "/home" untouched, to be reused with existing files.

When it creates the user account that I specify during install, it notices that "/home/username" already exists for that user, and it gives the created user the same home directory and the same uid.

-- and I get to keep user settings made with the previous version of opensuse.
    now i have all i need - this was the missing link in the whole discussion.

all i have to do is to be aware that i have to use the same (!!!) username and passwd. If i do not do that - then i guess that this would not function...

BUT - i will take care to do all as you described!

many thanks again.
    dilbert ;-)

Warning Will Robinson!!!!

The important thing in following the instructions above is to examine carefully the proposed partitioning carefully BEFORE accepting the scheme. If it is not what you expect or want stop go back and correct it with the advanced options. In most cases all will be fine but never assume the machine knows more or better then you do.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast