one click install in Chrome

I’ve installed 12.2 today and all seems good so far.
One or two little glitches but nothing major.

I’ve removed apper and packagekit

What I want to know is - is there a way to get one click install to work in Chrome the same way as it does in firefox.

What I mean by that is when you click on a link to a rpm or ymp file in firefox it launces “install/remove software” (or apper if I hadn’t removed it).
In Chrome I only get an option to download the file.

that functionality I think is provided by this Firefox extension:

openSUSE Firefox extension - openSUSE

I don’t think its available for Chrome, you might have to download the file first.

Am 08.09.2012 20:06, schrieb fat bottom girls:
>
> that functionality I think is provided by this Firefox extension:
>
> ‘openSUSE Firefox extension - openSUSE’
> (http://en.opensuse.org/OpenSUSE_Firefox_extension)
>
> I don’t think its available for Chrome, you might have to download the
> file first.

It’s not part of the extension.

One-Click-Install ist just a registered mime-type handler in openSUSE
which is automatically recognized by Firefox (as all other available
mime-handlers). I would have expected that Chrome can make use of the
same mime databases.

Wolfgang

perhaps it is something to do with this bug

Issue 333 - chromium - Request: Instead of just being able to save what you download- be able to run. - An open-source browser project to help move the web forward. - Google Project Hosting

if so - not likely that we’ll see a solution in the near future.
As the user base for chrome / chromium increases and firefox decreases it is going to become a bit of an issue.
Perhaps it could be handled via an extension in chrome?

that should be very nice if this plugin could work on chrome

it turns out Google Chrome uses xdg-open to determine what to do with it.
see the following explanation: How to tell chrome what to do with a magnet link - Ask Ubuntu

so I checked my handlers but everything seems ok.

My suspicion is Chrome decides to show the content in the browser and not use xdg-open as the ymp file is a type of text file: its mimetype is text/x-suse-ymp.

I got it confirmed by the information I found in the following bug report:
Issue 152911 - chromium - CSV files open as text not downloading - An open-source browser project to help move the web forward. - Google Project Hosting

So google chrome has a change since september or so in which they open text/* mimetypes in the browser window itself. There is a list of exclusions, but it is hardcoded. see the following source file, look at the unsupported_text_types array. There you see that they make an exception for csv files, for example.

[chrome] View of /trunk/src/net/base/mime_util.cc](http://src.chromium.org/viewvc/chrome/trunk/src/net/base/mime_util.cc?revision=159673&view=markup&pathrev=159673)

They are reluctant to add more and more types to this list. Instead web application developers should serve the content with
Content-Disposition: attachmentif they want the file to be saved instead of opened in the browser…So I guess we should file an opensuse bug… :slight_smile:

Would this break firefox?

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/ymp-one-click-installer/chldcpnlaiffaelmcjkeodakmnkomldg?hl=en

this fixes the chrome issue. Note, you need to install the extension plus the update that pops up after installation.