Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 29

Thread: KDE 4 theme

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Aarhus
    Posts
    23

    Default KDE 4 theme

    I really want a new theme on my Opensuse 12.2, but i am new to Kde. I have tried to do something myself through application appearances and work space appearances, bit was confusing with all the options. Instead i went to Kdelook and downloaded a couple of Kde 4 themes. But they are tar.gz files and i don't know what to do with them. One of the files i unpacket but i could only change the colours, because the other options cannot import files.

    I would be very appreciative if someone could help me with either

    installing theme from kdelook

    or point me to somewhere you can get new themes for opensuse

    i hope i am lucky

  2. #2
    dd@home.dk NNTP User

    Default Re: KDE 4 theme

    > or point me to somewhere you can get new themes for opensuse

    its right there, built in and easy to use, just go:

    Configure Desktop > Workspace Appearance and Behavior > Workspace
    Appearance > Desktop Theme

    choose one of those included in the default install (try all of them, if
    you wish--then pick the one you like the most before you begin
    customizing the Windows Decorations)..

    but, if none of the default installed themes wind your watch, just click
    the button on the lower right "Get new themes"

    if you get stuck, confused or dismayed: do NOT overlook the button
    labeled "Help"

    and, Have a lot of fun.

    note: the more you fiddle with it the more likely you are to kill
    it...so, backup before starting..

    --
    dd http://tinyurl.com/DD-Caveat

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Aarhus
    Posts
    23

    Default Re: KDE 4 theme

    In desktop themes there really aren't that many options, and half of the thing i try to download never show up. The help button dosent really do anything, except tell me who the authors are. Is there really no way to get new unified themes i can install on Kde?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    142

    Default Re: KDE 4 theme

    @rogoshin.
    I'm sorry to hear this.
    dd@home.dk gave good accurate instructions.
    What you have found is a bug, i am also experiencing this bug. The theme should have turned up with the other themes but doesn't. I actually experienced this in 12.1 and thought it would have been fixed in 12.2.
    Here is the way i normally install themes simply because it makes easier to share themes through the multiple distros i have.
    go to kdelooks and get the tar.xz file of a desired theme, (you said you'd already done that.) take to a random directory where it will be easy to manage and unpack it. You will get one folder with many contents inside. copy or cut this folder to the following directory.
    Code:
    ~/.kde/share/apps/desktoptheme
    Then go back to the kde setting where you select different themes and it will be in there.

    You might want to have a good look around systemsettings, (configure desktop) because there's a lot you can do there, and it will make your kde experience much more enjoyable once you learn what every part is for.

  5. #5
    dd@home.dk NNTP User

    Default Re: KDE 4 theme

    On 09/08/2012 04:16 AM, knightron wrote:
    > What you have found is a bug, i am also experiencing this bug. The
    > theme should have turned up with the other themes but doesn't. I
    > actually experienced this in 12.1 and thought it would have been fixed
    > in 12.2.


    did you actually log a bug in bugzilla?
    what is its number?

    --
    dd

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Aarhus
    Posts
    23

    Default Re: KDE 4 theme

    Well i have now tried moving four different themes and none of them show up. I am beginning to think Kde is not for me.

    This forum is also strange, it takes forever to load, and often i have to click everything twice or even three times.

  7. #7
    dd@home.dk NNTP User

    Default Re: KDE 4 theme

    On 09/08/2012 11:16 AM, rogoshin wrote:
    >
    > Well i have now tried moving four different themes and none of them show
    > up. I am beginning to think Kde is not for me.


    well......you are sure free to do as you wish, but for me i don't spend
    so much time changing the way things look...i am much more interested in
    doing things, listening to music, contacting folks i know, etc etc
    etc.....in the end it really matter very little how "pretty" is the
    thing i use to do what i wanna do....

    as long as it is never infested with bugs, key loggers, or won't run
    because it crashes all the time--then i VERY happy with the way it looks
    right out of the box (my box is KDE4 with BII and Air for Netbooks)


    > This forum is also strange, it takes forever to load, and often i have
    > to click everything twice or even three times.


    yep! the forum software has been a problem for over a year....but, the
    good news is "they" *are* working on it!!


    i see you joined us just a few days ago, from ubundu....my best advice
    would be to spend a little less time turning the knobs and switches that
    affect the colors, flashes and pretty stuff and get to know openSUSE a
    little better...take your time learning how to 'do' tar.gz etc etc etc..

    and, maybe you would benefit from some of the hint and tips especially
    for those moving from ubuntu to here:
    http://tinyurl.com/ubuntu-to-openSUSE
    http://tinyurl.com/Ubuntu-Differences

    take your time....Have a lot of fun!

    dd
    --
    dd http://tinyurl.com/DD-Caveat http://tinyurl.com/DD-Hardware
    http://tinyurl.com/DD-Software
    What does DistroWatch write about YOU?: http://tinyurl.com/SUSEonDW

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    142

    Default Re: KDE 4 theme

    Quote Originally Posted by dd@home.dk View Post
    On 09/08/2012 04:16 AM, knightron wrote:
    > What you have found is a bug, i am also experiencing this bug. The
    > theme should have turned up with the other themes but doesn't. I
    > actually experienced this in 12.1 and thought it would have been fixed
    > in 12.2.


    did you actually log a bug in bugzilla?
    what is its number?

    --
    dd

    I have been using Gnu/Linux for just over a year now. prier to now, i've been just using a distro, and participating in forums. Only within the past month have i begun reporting bugs for different distros. I did not report that bug back then.

    Quote Originally Posted by rogoshin View Post
    Well i have now tried moving four different themes and none of them show up. I am beginning to think Kde is not for me.

    This forum is also strange, it takes forever to load, and often i have to click everything twice or even three times.
    .. I'm not calling you a liar, but maybe you've made a mistake. Post a picture showing Dolphin (the file manager) with the themes where i told you to put them, because i don't believe they're not working after following my instructions.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Posts
    1,131

    Default Re: KDE 4 theme

    Quote Originally Posted by rogoshin View Post
    Well i have now tried moving four different themes and none of them show up. I am beginning to think Kde is not for me.
    I am afraid you made a fundamental mistake when asking for help. You just complained, but omitted to provide any basic information about your problem. E.g. What OS version? Which KDE version? What themes did you try to install?

    A number of people come here who would be willing to give you a hint, but are not willing/do not have time to waste engaging in a converstion just trying to determine if their experience matches your problem.

    FWIW there was a directory permissions problem that frustrated the "one-click" download and install via System Settings. This has been fixed for a while, and certainly an up-to-date system (e.g. openSuSE-12.2, KDE-4.9.1) works well installing third party themes. Also be aware that all themes are not compatible with all KDE/Plasma versions.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Aarhus
    Posts
    23

    Default Re: KDE 4 theme

    Quote Originally Posted by dd@home.dk View Post
    On 09/08/2012 11:16 AM, rogoshin wrote:
    >
    > Well i have now tried moving four different themes and none of them show
    > up. I am beginning to think Kde is not for me.


    well......you are sure free to do as you wish, but for me i don't spend
    so much time changing the way things look...i am much more interested in
    doing things, listening to music, contacting folks i know, etc etc
    etc.....in the end it really matter very little how "pretty" is the
    thing i use to do what i wanna do....

    as long as it is never infested with bugs, key loggers, or won't run
    because it crashes all the time--then i VERY happy with the way it looks
    right out of the box (my box is KDE4 with BII and Air for Netbooks)


    > This forum is also strange, it takes forever to load, and often i have
    > to click everything twice or even three times.


    yep! the forum software has been a problem for over a year....but, the
    good news is "they" *are* working on it!!


    i see you joined us just a few days ago, from ubundu....my best advice
    would be to spend a little less time turning the knobs and switches that
    affect the colors, flashes and pretty stuff and get to know openSUSE a
    little better...take your time learning how to 'do' tar.gz etc etc etc..

    and, maybe you would benefit from some of the hint and tips especially
    for those moving from ubuntu to here:
    when you are converting from Ubuntu
    site:forums.opensuse.org different ubuntu - Google Search

    take your time....Have a lot of fun!

    dd
    --
    dd DD Caveat DD Hardware
    DD Software
    What does DistroWatch write about YOU?: DistroWatch.com: openSUSE
    Well the reason i am going back is because my previous system worked and i had control over the general UI.The reason i changed in the first place, was that i heard that Kde was easier and better than Unity, so i wanted to try it. I have read the page you linked to, and i already did a search on google.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •