Thread: Yast won't install "jbidwatcher" because java2-jre needed -- What to do?

Default Yast won't install "jbidwatcher" because java2-jre needed -- What to do?

Hi,

Yast won't install "jbidwatcher" because java2-jre is needed. I'm not sure what to do.

(jbidwatcher is an ebay sniper program that seems better than esniper (which I also couldn't figure out how to install and use: http://www.jbidwatcher.com/ )

Should I install java2-jre (which from what I've read requires me to uninstall the java I'm currently using) or should I use the downloadable jbidwatcher (how)?

My java is currently working well on websites and with programs like Freemind, and I'd prefer not to break it.

I've downloaded the file and uncompressed it, but it just has a bunch of .jar files I don't know how to use.

Any help is much appreciated!

Rick

(I'm using openSUSE 12.1, updated Google Chrome, and Yast seems to indicate I have icedtea-web 1.1.1-10.1 and java-1_6_0-openjdk and the dependent files--see attachment... nevermind, I can't see how to attach a jpeg.)

Blog Entries

Default Re: Yast won't install "jbidwatcher" because java2-jre needed -- What to do?

I'm not familiar with this java app, but I note that thejbidwatcher RPM packages offered by software.opensuse.org: Download openSUSE 12.1

appear to be an old version 2.1.3.

Do you have the Sun Java JRE software installed?

Did you also try downloading the latest version from here?

JBidwatcher: Free eBay auction sniping, bidding & monitoring software

Default Re: Yast won't install "jbidwatcher" because java2-jre needed -- What to do?

Yes, I downloaded the latest version from there (I copied the link in my original post).

I do not have JRE installed. As I indicated in my post, I am concerned that doing so (from what I have read so far) will require me to uninstall the java I'm currently using (or will conflict with it). I'm also not 100% sure how to install it.

Any thoughts on that?

Blog Entries

I have both installed, and use update-alternatives to set the preferred:
    Code:
    # update-alternatives --all

There is only 1 program which provides ksh
    (/lib64/ast/bin/ksh). Nothing to configure.

There is only 1 program which provides xml-commons-apis
    (/usr/share/java/xerces-j2-xml-apis.jar). Nothing to configure.

There are 2 alternatives which provide `jre_1.6.0'.

Selection    Alternative
    -----------------------------------------------
    *+        1    /usr/lib64/jvm/jre-1.6.0-openjdk
              2    /usr/lib64/jvm/jre-1.6.0-sun

Default Re: Yast won't install "jbidwatcher" because java2-jre needed --What to do?

On 2012-09-05 00:36, deano ferrari wrote:
    >
    > I have both installed, and use update-alternatives to set the
    > preferred:

But java from Sun can no longer be installed properly. If you install the rpm from suse, it is
    outdated and has security holes - so many that firefox disables it automatically.

And if you install the current one from Sun directly (as suse can not provide updates for the one
    they installed) it is named "jre" and yast thinks you do not have java installed when you do, and
    thus you can not install other packages that require java (this is [Bug 776951]).

--
    Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
    (from 11.4 x86_64 "Celadon" (Minas Tirith))

Blog Entries

Default Re: Yast won't install "jbidwatcher" because java2-jre needed --What to do?

I'm blissfully unaware of that then. I have (running openSUSE 11.4)
    Code:
    # rpm -qa |grep java
    java-1_6_0-sun-1.6.0.u29-0.2.1.x86_64
    java-1_6_0-openjdk-1.6.0.0_b24.1.11.3-0.14.1.x86_64
    I've switched to both over time (via update-alternatives), without any issue that I'm aware of at least. I have to occasionally interface to remote digital microwave equipment via Java-based software, and never experienced any problem.

Blog Entries

@rabarrett: It might be worth taking this up with the JBidwatcher forums and/or the developer Morgan Schweers. Then, the software can be developed with the open source implementation of the JRE.

On 2012-09-05 04:16, deano ferrari wrote:
    >
    > I'm blissfully unaware of that then. I have (running openSUSE 11.4)
    >
    > Code:
    > --------------------
    > # rpm -qa |grep java
    > java-1_6_0-sun-1.6.0.u29-0.2.1.x86_64
    > java-1_6_0-openjdk-1.6.0.0_b24.1.11.3-0.14.1.x86_64
    > --------------------

Your version is very outdated and dangerous. The current one is u33, but you will never get it from
    openSUSE because Sun/Oracle forbids it.

--
    Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

Blog Entries

Probably, but it doesn't concern me. I am only using the JDK version anyway.

On 2012-09-05 21:06, deano ferrari wrote:
    >
    > Probably, but it doesn't concern me. I am only using the JDK version
    > anyway.

Thunderbird and firefox automatically detects that it is an old outdated version and disables it.

--
    Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.