Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: what is the best partitioning method to install multiple linux distros in one system

Question what is the best partitioning method to install multiple linux distros in one system

I'm going to install opemSUSE 12.2 and Ubuntu 12.o4 and meybe Mandriva 11 alongside each other.
    i want to format my laptop hard drive totally and thyen istall these Distros.
    So, what is the best partitioning method to install these distros alongside each other in one system? (i do not want to install windows).
    is it posible to have shared swap, /home, ... partitions for all of them? is it good?
    please explain in detailes.
    MrAli

My System: Hp pavilion dv2690ee notebook, Intel core2due 2.4, 3MB Cache, 250 GB HDD, 2 GB Ram.

Default Re: what is the best partitioning method to install multiple linux distros in one system

Use gparted or Parted Magic to do the partitioning.

You can have the same swap
    Sharing /home is a can of worms . You will most likely have different versions or tweaks of the DE so your config files will be different.
    It can be done but takes a lot of thought and sweat.
    Easiest is to have a partition that is shared (not /home) and then link it to each of the home directories to share data.

Blog Entries

Default Re: what is the best partitioning method to install multiple linux distros in one system

ilAli wrote:

> shared swap

Yes

>/home, ... partitions for all

Not a good idea
    I keep all mine separate

Do the partitioning first! In the different setups, choose the option which sounds the most complicated but is indeed the safest and the most efficient. Under openSUSE, this will be "Create partition setup". Under Ubuntu 12.04, it is called "Something else" (No kidding). You will have to select the partition(s) and mount point(s). Write down which partition is going to be the root partition of each distro in advance. Do not reformat any partition you want to share (or its UUID will be changed). And definitely install openSUSE first! The best order is: openSUSE, Mandriva, Ubuntu.

Honestly, did this question deserve the five stars you gave to your own thread? A touch of elegance and humility wouldn't hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by ilAli View Post
    I'm going to install opemSUSE 12.2 and Ubuntu 12.o4 and meybe Mandriva 11 alongside each other.
    Mandriva is pointless (today). Install Mageia or Fedora ... or if you really want to learn something else, Arch Linux (might be a little bit tough for newbies).

Quote Originally Posted by please_try_again View Post
    Honestly, did this question deserve the five stars you gave to your own thread? A touch of elegance and humility wouldn't hurt.
    yes, i think if someone give this thread a good answer, it could be a 5 star thread for newbies who want to install multiple distros in one system. also, anyone believes that his/her oppinion is the best aren't you?
    Honestly, if the stars harm you, you give the thread 1 star to balance or adjust it.
    MrAli

My System: Hp pavilion dv2690ee notebook, Intel core2due 2.4, 3MB Cache, 250 GB HDD, 2 GB Ram.

Default Re: what is the best partitioning method to install multiple linuxdistros in one system

On Thu, 30 Aug 2012 21:16:03 +0000, ilAli wrote:

> yes, i think if someone give this thread a good answer, it could be a 5
    > star thread for newbies who want to install multiple distros in one
    > system. also, anyone believes that his/her oppinion is the best aren't
    > you?

The point of the rating system is not to predict if a thread is going to
    be useful, but to rate a thread that /is/ useful so it can be found by
    users looking for a good answer.

So it's best not to rate it until after you've resolved the issue, rather
    than to rate it when you post the question or shortly afterwards.

Rating the thread prematurely affects the usefulness of the thread rating
    system.

Jim
    --
    Jim Henderson
    openSUSE Forums Administrator
    Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

Default Re: what is the best partitioning method to install multiple linuxdistros in one system

Quote Originally Posted by hendersj View Post
    On Thu, 30 Aug 2012 21:16:03 +0000, ilAli wrote:

> yes, i think if someone give this thread a good answer, it could be a 5
    > star thread for newbies who want to install multiple distros in one
    > system. also, anyone believes that his/her oppinion is the best aren't
    > you?

The point of the rating system is not to predict if a thread is going to
    be useful, but to rate a thread that /is/ useful so it can be found by
    users looking for a good answer.

So it's best not to rate it until after you've resolved the issue, rather
    than to rate it when you post the question or shortly afterwards.

Rating the thread prematurely affects the usefulness of the thread rating
    system.
    OK, i got it.
    MrAli

My laptop hard drive is 250 GB. how should i make partitions on it to install 3 linux distro?
    if you were me how many partitions did you make? please lest them.
    MrAli

Quote Originally Posted by ilAli View Post
    My laptop hard drive is 250 GB. how should i make partitions on it to install 3 linux distro?
    if you were me how many partitions did you make? please lest them.
    Code:
    #! /bin/bash

hdd_size=250
    swap_size=2
    root_size=40

printf "%-9s: %s GiB\n" "swap" $swap_size

for dist in opensuse mandriva ubuntu ; do
    	dist_size=$((($hdd_size - swap_size) / 3))
    	printf "%-9s: / = %s GiB; /home = %s GiB\n" $dist $root_size $(($dist_size - $root_size))
    done
    This is not the "best" partitioning however, just the short answer to your 5 stars question.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast