12.1 ghostscript/libfree6 and acroread errors

bringing up a 12.1 (kde) machine and have run into a couple of issues with my old scan scripts. these scripts have been used back to 11.1
without issue. they are not failing now, just throwing errors.

scan the image:system(“scanimage @opts -d @scanr > $fnamepg”);
convert the image:system(“convert -density 300 $fnamepg $fnametps”);
convert to pdf:system(“ps2pdf $fnameps”);
view result with acroread:system(“acroread $fnamepdf”);

the convert and ps2pdf steps are both returning this error:GPL Ghostscript 9.00: Error: Font Renderer Plugin (Freetype) return code = -1

a little research points to the libfree6 library. i have installed the latest version from the repo.libfreebl3-3.13.5-9.16.1.x86_64
libfreetype6-2.4.7-6.1.x86_64
libfreetype6-32bit-2.4.7-6.1.x86_64

still errors. any suggestions?

acroread-9.5.1-3.10.1.i586 returns:(acroread:5514): Gtk-WARNING ** Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: “oxygen-gtk”.

installed:gtk2-engines-2.20.2-7.1.2.x86_64
gtk2-engines-32bit-2.20.2-7.1.2.x86_64
kdebase4-workspace-liboxygenstyle-4.7.2-6.4.1.x86_64
oxygen-gtk-1.1.4-2.4.1.x86_64

have not found anything on this one. any suggestions?

thanks in advance.

I have not been using the system command, but it claims to be equal to a /bin/sh -c command but I had problems with the -c option in your examples. So I might just use /bin/sh instead of system().

Thank You,

it was late last night when i was testing this, so i failed to test outside of the perl script. the convert command is not generating any errors. but, the ps2pdf is generating the “GPL Ghostscript…” error twice. acroread generates its error with any pdf when run.

And if you execute the acroread filename.pdf command at the terminal prompt, does it work properly for you?

Thank You,

no. both utilities produce errors when run directly.

okular gives a new error as well. but it gives the error at exit.

test@acan:~/work> convert a.pgm a.ps
test@acan:~/work> ps2pdf a.ps
GPL Ghostscript 9.00: Error: Font Renderer Plugin ( FreeType ) return code = -1
GPL Ghostscript 9.00: Error: Font Renderer Plugin ( FreeType ) return code = -1
test@acan:~/work> acroread a.pdf

(acroread:9093): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: “oxygen-gtk”,

(acroread:9093): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: “oxygen-gtk”,
test@acan:~/work> okular a.pdf
okular(9154)/kdeui (kdelibs) KXMLGUIClient::~KXMLGUIClient: 0x787e58 deleted without having been removed from the factory first. This will leak standalone popupmenus and could lead to crashes.
test@acan:~/work>

So, my thoughts is that your installation of openSUSE has a problem. May I ask if this was a clean installation, a new install but with an existing /home or a straight openSUSE upgrade and if upgrade, from what version and how was the upgrade performed? A look at your repositories might be in order:

This terminal command would help show us what you got:

zypper repos

I don’t know what is wrong, but openSUSE upgrades and strangely mixed repositories often can produce such oddities, which results in mixed packages, not compiled or meant to work together. I have a bash script, intended to check your multimedia setup, but it might also be helpful in this case:

MMCHECK - Version 2.45 - Check Your Multimedia in 16 Steps - Bash Script File - Blogs - openSUSE Forums

Thank You,

new install with new machine. actually, if it was not for a drive beginning to fail in my 11.3 box i would wait for 12.2.
yast was updated first, then all updates as listed as available. only non-suse update was nvidia G02 for fx1800.

# | Alias                              | Name                               | Enabled | Refresh
--+------------------------------------+------------------------------------+---------+--------
1 | Updates-for-openSUSE-12.1-12.1-1.4 | Updates for openSUSE 12.1 12.1-1.4 | Yes     | Yes    
2 | nVidia Graphics Drivers            | nVidia Graphics Drivers            | No      | Yes    
3 | openSUSE-12.1-12.1-1.4             | openSUSE-12.1-12.1-1.4             | Yes     | No     
4 | repo-debug                         | openSUSE-12.1-Debug                | No      | Yes    
5 | repo-debug-update                  | openSUSE-12.1-Update-Debug         | No      | Yes    
6 | repo-non-oss                       | openSUSE-12.1-Non-Oss              | Yes     | Yes    
7 | repo-oss                           | openSUSE-12.1-Oss                  | Yes     | Yes    
8 | repo-source                        | openSUSE-12.1-Source               | No      | Yes    

the ghostscript error is not unique to opensuse. redhat and arch both had issues with libfree6, but they are using a different version.
i found one hit on the acroread error, but it was that gtk2-engines was not installed.

was there a particular output from your mmcheck that you wanted to see?

Am 30.08.2012 19:56, schrieb ewhite20:
> Ghostscript 9.00: Error: Font Renderer Plugin (Freetype) return code

As far as I remember you can get rid of that by updating your
ghostscript to 9.05
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/Printing/openSUSE_12.1

PC: oS 12.2 x86_64 | i7-2600@3.40GHz | 16GB | KDE 4.8.4 | GeForce GT 420
ThinkPad E320: oS 12.1 x86_64 | i3@2.30GHz | 8GB | KDE 4.8.5 | HD 3000
eCAFE 800: oS 12.1 i586 | AMD Geode LX 800@500MHz | 512MB | KDE 3.5.10

Yes that is good. I highly recommended you add the Packman repository, allow vendor change and update for all new packages:

"http://packman.inode.at/suse/openSUSE_12.1/"

Thank You,

i usually add packman towards the end of my install, which can take me a week to complete. been using suse since 9.3 and i’ve found it best to get the system stable with distribution packages before adding others. video being an exception.

this being a long week-end, i may start over and see if any of this was caused by the initial updates. i’m also tempted to wait on 12.2.

thanks for your help.

We will be getting openSUSE 12.2 on September the 5th as I recall, so it will not be long to wait. The big change with openSUSE 12.2 is the switch to Grub 2 for which I have not entirely got into how it works. But, I have put together a bash script intended to help with Grub 2 you can find here:

GNU Grub2 Command Help/Config Editor - Version: 1.75 - Blogs - openSUSE Forums

Thank You,