Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Will the Windows 8 mistakes cause Windows users to switch to Linux & openSuse?

Hybrid View

Default Will the Windows 8 mistakes cause Windows users to switch to Linux & openSuse?

I'm a Windows user for over 15 years, and planning to switch to OpenSuse once I figure some things out. I've been using Windows 7 in the last years and planned switching to Windows 8, until I heard some bad news about it. Apart from the Metro UI and Microsoft's new App system (similar to Linux's software repositories but more restrictive), Windows 8 requires a Microsoft account to even create a local username and log into Windows. I believe this takes Windows closer to the restrictive type of computing, where computers would eventually be centralized into one big server and everyone would need an account with "the one big machine" to even use their computer locally. Certainly, I'm never getting an OS like that and sticking with Windows 7.

My question is how much this will cause Windows users to switch over to Linux. Since OpenSuse is one of the first distros (possibly second place after Ubuntu) this addresses it especially. Will Windows users disappointed with the new restrictive ways Microsoft have chosen switch to Linux permanently? I've already been wanting to switch to Linux for some time (technical difficulties kept me) but after hearing about Windows 8, I totally know it must happen for me. How many others feel the same way and have already migrated?
    openSUSE Tumbleweed x64, KDE Framework 5

dd@home.dk NNTP User

Default Re: Will the Windows 8 mistakes cause Windows users to switch toLinux & openSuse?

On 08/30/2012 05:06 PM, MirceaKitsune wrote:
    > How many others feel
    > the same way and have already migrated?

i migrated away from Windows when i got tired of waiting for Win95, and
    left 3.11 and moved to OS/2 in early '95....and then beginning in 1998
    started learning Linux...by 2002 i just never needed to boot OS/2 again..

today i have no Windows based programs i depend on, or even use...have
    not booted the Win7 that came on this machine when i bought it--i did
    use it a couple of days while i downloaded and burned an openSUSE
    install disk (which took FOREVER)...today, i don't even have WINE
    installed..

so, a Microsoft-free existence is not only possible, but very freeing
    and rewarding..

however, free and open source software is not cost free--you will have
    to decide to do some learning, exercise patience and ENJOY the ride..

otherwise, the only other reasonable non-MS way is Apple (and *lots*
    more money)

--
    dd

Default Re: Will the Windows 8 mistakes cause Windows users to switch to Linux & openSuse?

Quote Originally Posted by MirceaKitsune View Post
    Windows 8 requires a Microsoft account to even create a local username and log into Windows.
    That's very interesting. I can't find anything to confirm it, can you provide a link?

Default Re: Will the Windows 8 mistakes cause Windows users to switch to Linux & openSuse?

A few weeks ago, I purchased a new PC with Windows 7 on it. I also got a coupon to upgrade to Windows 8 for like $15. From what I have been hearing, I will not touch Windows 8. The only (and main) reason people will stick with Windows PCs is for gaming. I know of two people (non-gamers) who replaced their home computers with tablets, as all they do is email, social media and Netflix.
    Lenovo Thinkpad T500 2081-CTO
    Intel GMA 4500MHD Graphics | Intel Core2 Duo T9400 2.53 GHz | 4GB Ram | openSUSE 12.2 | KDE 4.8.4

Default Re: Will the Windows 8 mistakes cause Windows users to switch toLinux & openSuse?

On 2012-08-31 12:56, Wrexxman wrote:
    > The only (and main) reason people
    > will stick with Windows PCs is for gaming.

Not true.
    I use Windows in this laptop and I have not a single game in it.

I use Windows because it is a requirement of some hardware I bought, like a gps (tomtom), a cellular
    phone (nokia), an ebook (kobo). All those devices require a Windows machine to run the updates and
    uploads.

--
    Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
    (from 11.4 x86_64 "Celadon" (Minas Tirith))

In all seriousness initially I suspect 1 out of 100 will switch to Linux, 15 out of 100 will go to Apple, 20 out of 100 will just go to a pad to stay, 34 out of 100 will stay with 7, 15 out of 100 are still in XP, 10 out of 100 will go for 8, the remainder will just throw up their hands & if they can leave the whole thing.
    We are what we think.
    All that we are arises with our thoughts.
    With our thoughts we make the world.

My 64 bit: Gateway 5670 UPDATED | RADEON RX 570 |CPU AMD - Ryzen 5 1600
    Opensuse Tumbleweed Plasma 5

Sadly... well not sadly cause Microsoft has had it's part to play in the computing world but, I believe most users will stay with Microsoft. The reason being is because it's not just a matter of home computing but also a matter of work. Businesses will not switch to Linux except for large applications because the average SysAdmin can not manage a Linux system. You will still be surprised at how hard it is to find a Linux admin so unfortunately people will probably still stick with Windows even if Windows 8 is a doomed platform/tablet OS.

Quote Originally Posted by thilips View Post
    Sadly... well not sadly cause Microsoft has had it's part to play in the computing world but, I believe most users will stay with Microsoft. The reason being is because it's not just a matter of home computing but also a matter of work. Businesses will not switch to Linux except for large applications because the average SysAdmin can not manage a Linux system. You will still be surprised at how hard it is to find a Linux admin so unfortunately people will probably still stick with Windows even if Windows 8 is a doomed platform/tablet OS.
    For work computers it might matter less, since it's really a corporal decision as to what to use there (also based on money and what people know to use best). It is however sad that there are so few Linux admins around. I'm also curious about home computers though. Personally, I planned to switch to openSUSE either way, and probably would have at the same date if Windows 8 didn't do those bad things. But in this case, I would have surely not continued using Windows after Microsoft decided to put all computers using it in its pocket.
    openSUSE Tumbleweed x64, KDE Framework 5

Blog Entries

Many would rather fight with the beast they know (Windows) than deal with the unknown (Linux).

This fear keeps them from even considering an alternative and that has nothing to do with Microsoft specifically. This comes to play well before the ease of installing, better resource handling, breadth of available open source applications, secure and stable platform and wonderful community comes into play.

This fear is best countered by eliminating the fear of being alone, that they are not the only ones trying something new and where there are others, there is help. Regardless of whether they use them or not it is perceived as potential help and that in itself emboldens the individual.
    "Linux provides freedom, problem is most users don't know what it is or how to use it." ~me
    Friends don't let Friends wear red shirts on away parties!
    Linux User #477531 | Danbury Area Computer Society (www.dacs.org)

Quote Originally Posted by dragonbite View Post
    ....Regardless of whether they use them or not it is perceived as potential help and that in itself emboldens the individual.
    You hit the nail on the head. The "perceived" help. People "perceive" they get help with Microsoft when in actually you get better, free, more timely, help with many Linux distros. Since Linux does not resort to mass marketing campaigns stretching the truth people think Linux is still something mainly used by geeks and nerds. Also I believe there are two more major problems: one is the actual idea of thinking and searching for an answer. A quick "Google" search brings up just as much info and more on a Linux issue than Windows due to the propritary nature of Microsoft but, why think. Most users and pass that, most college students don't want to think they want an answer. This way of thinking has been introduced by the second problem, "Baby Boomers". Understand when I say "Baby Boomers" I don't mean all 100mil plus "Boomers" around the U.S however as a generation that fought "the system" they have now become "the system". In the past this was fine because the past generation retired and gave wisdom whereas the newer generation explored new terrorities. This is not so. As "Boomers" work longer to maintain lifestyle and income they do what older people do by nature: stick to what works. This mentality stifles innovation thus stifles new areas of development and exploration; those new areas include Linux as a main source plattform for home and work. I believe this is another reason why many will stick with the "Windows" beast. Change is for youth, stability is for the aged and in between is management unfortunately management and aged are one in the same.

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast