Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Will the Windows 8 mistakes cause Windows users to switch to Linux & openSuse?

Default Re: Will the Windows 8 mistakes cause Windows users to switch toLinux & openSuse?

Quote Originally Posted by robin_listas View Post
    On 2012-08-31 12:56, Wrexxman wrote:
    > The only (and main) reason people
    > will stick with Windows PCs is for gaming.

Not true.
    I use Windows in this laptop and I have not a single game in it.

I use Windows because it is a requirement of some hardware I bought, like a gps (tomtom), a cellular
    phone (nokia), an ebook (kobo). All those devices require a Windows machine to run the updates and
    uploads.
    So you don't use Windows to play games but to play with your toys.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Will the Windows 8 mistakes cause Windows users to switch to Linux & openSuse?

Quote Originally Posted by MirceaKitsune View Post
    My question is how much this will cause Windows users to switch over to Linux. Since OpenSuse is one of the first distros (possibly second place after Ubuntu) this addresses it especially. Will Windows users disappointed with the new restrictive ways Microsoft have chosen switch to Linux permanently? I've already been wanting to switch to Linux for some time (technical difficulties kept me) but after hearing about Windows 8, I totally know it must happen for me. How many others feel the same way and have already migrated?
    I wouldn't suspect a huge surge as could have been attributed to Windows Vista. People have an up-to-date and stable alternative (Windows 7) and the initial "gotta have it -- oops! -- gotta get rid of it" process has gone through and people have been trained to wait for at least another release.

Windows 3.1 -- good
    Windows 95 -- bad
    Windows 98 -- good
    Windows Me -- bad
    Windows XP -- good
    Windows Vista -- bad
    Windows 7 -- good
    Windows 8 -- (guess!)

Vista did get some people to at least pull their heads out of the ground and find out that there are, in fact, alternatives that don't suck. Those people that were on on the fence, or unsure during Vista days may decide to give it a whirl with Windows 8 coming out but with the sheer number of users I don't think this is a significant number.

I've been intrigued by Windows 8, and want to get my hands on a working model (in the MS store maybe) before jumping one way or another but I have been using Linux for a while so I know I can always return whenever I want so Windows 8 is a take-it-or-leave-it for me. Windows 7, though, has been pretty good except for the resource requirements on my older laptop.
    "Linux provides freedom, problem is most users don't know what it is or how to use it." ~me
    Friends don't let Friends wear red shirts on away parties!
    Linux User #477531 | Danbury Area Computer Society (www.dacs.org)

Default Re: Will the Windows 8 mistakes cause Windows users to switch toLinux & openSuse?

On 2012-09-05 21:06, please try again wrote:

> So you don't use Windows to play games but to play with your toys.

If you consider a car navigator or a plain phone a toy... :-)

I would much prefer to use Linux, but the last time I tried the TomTom refused to connect to a
    virtualized windows guest in vmware...

--
    Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
    (from 11.4 x86_64 "Celadon" (Minas Tirith))

On 2012-09-05 21:06, please try again wrote:

> So you don't use Windows to play games but to play with your toys.

If you consider a car navigator or a plain phone a toy... :-)
    Probably. I can live without, and you just gave me one more good reason not to use them.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Will the Windows 8 mistakes cause Windows users to switch to Linux & openSuse?

please try again wrote:

> robably. I can live without, and you just gave me one more good reason
    > not to use them.

LOL -yes.
    And I sure wouldn't pain myself with the displeasure of installing and
    using windows.
    I never got lost yet without a TomTom.
    Pretty sure life will go on much the same if I stay as I am.

But I see @carlos point, albeit kind of mute/lame

On 2012-09-07 07:41, caf4926 wrote:

> LOL -yes.
    > And I sure wouldn't pain myself with the displeasure of installing and
    > using windows.
    > I never got lost yet without a TomTom.

But I do. With and without :-}
    Even people born in Madrid get lost easily on it.

> Pretty sure life will go on much the same if I stay as I am.
    >
    > But I see @carlos point, albeit kind of mute/lame

Well, my point is that there are gadgets around that are only usable from Windows, like it or not
    (and I don't). When I can, I choose hardware that works in Linux, but sometimes I have no choice.

As it happens, I do have Windows training that I can put in my CV, but not Linux training (and you
    can guess which I prefer and know more about). But if I find a job for which I have to use Windows,
    I will not say no, either.

--
    Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

On 2012-09-07 07:41, caf4926 wrote:

> LOL -yes.
    > And I sure wouldn't pain myself with the displeasure of installing and
    > using windows.
    > I never got lost yet without a TomTom.

But I do. With and without :-}
    Even people born in Madrid get lost easily on it.
    It's not because of Madrid, it's because of Windows.

On 2012-09-08 07:36, please try again wrote:

>
    > It's not because of Madrid, it's because of Windows.

Ha! Even those with no navigator?

But the TomTom runs Linux inside, we think, which makes more... can't find the word... hateful?
    their refusal to make a Linux software for the management in the computer.

The model 1000 is horrible in this respect, is a closed box entirely. Previous models you connected
    to the computer and saw a disk, like any usb gadget. Not now... it is impossible to do a backup,
    replace files... Now it uses some kind of encrypted connection to block third party applications.

Next device I buy will not be a tomtom if I can find something better.

--
    Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

On 2012-09-08 07:36, please try again wrote:

>
    > It's not because of Madrid, it's because of Windows.

Ha! Even those with no navigator?
    If they regularly used Windows, they might suffer irreversible brain damage and/or memory loss. But I told you that already, remember?

I would much prefer to use Linux, but the last time I tried the TomTom refused to connect to a
    virtualized windows guest in vmware...
    Well, I bought a TomTom XL (model 4E.T0.002.03 / Canada 310) yesterday and the HOME/mapshare app installed, updated and worked fine in a XP VM under VMWarePlayer. I was able to update the maps, voices and other stuff in the device connected through USB without issues.

So perhaps it's a TT step in the right direction - or a slip in their don't-care-about-linux policy...

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast