Will the Windows 8 mistakes cause Windows users to switch to Linux & openSuse?

I’m a Windows user for over 15 years, and planning to switch to OpenSuse once I figure some things out. I’ve been using Windows 7 in the last years and planned switching to Windows 8, until I heard some bad news about it. Apart from the Metro UI and Microsoft’s new App system (similar to Linux’s software repositories but more restrictive), Windows 8 requires a Microsoft account to even create a local username and log into Windows. I believe this takes Windows closer to the restrictive type of computing, where computers would eventually be centralized into one big server and everyone would need an account with “the one big machine” to even use their computer locally. Certainly, I’m never getting an OS like that and sticking with Windows 7.

My question is how much this will cause Windows users to switch over to Linux. Since OpenSuse is one of the first distros (possibly second place after Ubuntu) this addresses it especially. Will Windows users disappointed with the new restrictive ways Microsoft have chosen switch to Linux permanently? I’ve already been wanting to switch to Linux for some time (technical difficulties kept me) but after hearing about Windows 8, I totally know it must happen for me. How many others feel the same way and have already migrated?

On 08/30/2012 05:06 PM, MirceaKitsune wrote:
> How many others feel
> the same way and have already migrated?

i migrated away from Windows when i got tired of waiting for Win95, and
left 3.11 and moved to OS/2 in early '95…and then beginning in 1998
started learning Linux…by 2002 i just never needed to boot OS/2 again…

today i have no Windows based programs i depend on, or even use…have
not booted the Win7 that came on this machine when i bought it–i did
use it a couple of days while i downloaded and burned an openSUSE
install disk (which took FOREVER)…today, i don’t even have WINE
installed…

so, a Microsoft-free existence is not only possible, but very freeing
and rewarding…

however, free and open source software is not cost free–you will have
to decide to do some learning, exercise patience and ENJOY the ride…

otherwise, the only other reasonable non-MS way is Apple (and lots
more money)

dd

That’s very interesting. I can’t find anything to confirm it, can you provide a link?

A few weeks ago, I purchased a new PC with Windows 7 on it. I also got a coupon to upgrade to Windows 8 for like $15. From what I have been hearing, I will not touch Windows 8. The only (and main) reason people will stick with Windows PCs is for gaming. I know of two people (non-gamers) who replaced their home computers with tablets, as all they do is email, social media and Netflix.

Probably most will stay with Windows7 until MS launches Windows9 (i.e., 8 without Metro) to appease consumers, just like it happened with Vista - most people stayed with XP until W7 came out.

I hope I’m proved wrong, but I’m afraid the account thing - if it exist - will not be removed, people care more about the UI than the philosophy behind it, unfortunately.

Windows 8 requires a Microsoft account to even create a local username and log into Windows.

At least on the beta/rc thingy I tried in vmware it did allow me to create a local account to log in. Though I think I still needed a ms account to download anything from windows store, even free stuff.

My question is how much this will cause Windows users to switch over to Linux.

I would hope it would just convince folk that open source is a valid option and let them make a decision to use it. I think most folk will try to convince themselves Microsoft’s way is the right way, or as was said just stick to what they know. Personally I find it odd when uses ditch the current version of Windows and use the previously supported version run by the same company. It is like having a bad experience and still shuffling money their way. Vote with your wallets. All that money given to them from windows 7 is what made windows 8 possible.

I’d had a couple of looks at Linux but didn’t switch (with the exception of my Laptop which dual boots with Vista) to it until I decided I needed to move from Windows 2000. I didn’t like what MS was doing with WPA on XP and took another look at Linux. This time, I found OpenSuse (9.2 then) suited me (and later along the line, my parents) nicely.

Working along the lines that Linux is even better as a desktop system now and imagining that things had worked out differently then (perhaps feeling Linux wasn’t quite ready for me) and I’d opted to stick with Windows. I feel confident in saying that, for me, this new requirement (assuming it is true) would prompt another evaluation of Linux and that I would switch.

That said, while I’m pretty sure I would switch to Linux if I was in that situation, I’m doubtful that many will change over.

I tried the Windows 8 beta (release candidate) a few months ago on VirtualBox. I can confirm it required a Microsoft account, and automatically an internet connection for the first login. I thought it’s only for the beta, but people are saying this is also for the final version.

On 2012-08-31 12:56, Wrexxman wrote:
> The only (and main) reason people
> will stick with Windows PCs is for gaming.

Not true.
I use Windows in this laptop and I have not a single game in it.

I use Windows because it is a requirement of some hardware I bought, like a gps (tomtom), a cellular
phone (nokia), an ebook (kobo). All those devices require a Windows machine to run the updates and
uploads.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.4 x86_64 “Celadon” (Minas Tirith))

In all seriousness initially I suspect 1 out of 100 will switch to Linux, 15 out of 100 will go to Apple, 20 out of 100 will just go to a pad to stay, 34 out of 100 will stay with 7, 15 out of 100 are still in XP, 10 out of 100 will go for 8, the remainder will just throw up their hands & if they can leave the whole thing.

So you don’t use Windows to play games but to play with your toys. lol!

I wouldn’t suspect a huge surge as could have been attributed to Windows Vista. People have an up-to-date and stable alternative (Windows 7) and the initial “gotta have it – oops! – gotta get rid of it” process has gone through and people have been trained to wait for at least another release.

Windows 3.1 – good
Windows 95 – bad
Windows 98 – good
Windows Me – bad
Windows XP – good
Windows Vista – bad
Windows 7 – good
Windows 8 – (guess!)

Vista did get some people to at least pull their heads out of the ground and find out that there are, in fact, alternatives that don’t suck. Those people that were on on the fence, or unsure during Vista days may decide to give it a whirl with Windows 8 coming out but with the sheer number of users I don’t think this is a significant number.

I’ve been intrigued by Windows 8, and want to get my hands on a working model (in the MS store maybe) before jumping one way or another but I have been using Linux for a while so I know I can always return whenever I want so Windows 8 is a take-it-or-leave-it for me. Windows 7, though, has been pretty good except for the resource requirements on my older laptop.

On 2012-09-05 21:06, please try again wrote:

> So you don’t use Windows to play games but to play with your toys. lol!

If you consider a car navigator or a plain phone a toy… :slight_smile:

I would much prefer to use Linux, but the last time I tried the TomTom refused to connect to a
virtualized windows guest in vmware…

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

Probably. I can live without, and you just gave me one more good reason not to use them. :wink:

please try again wrote:

> robably. I can live without, and you just gave me one more good reason
> not to use them. :wink:

LOL -yes.
And I sure wouldn’t pain myself with the displeasure of installing and
using windows.
I never got lost yet without a TomTom.
Pretty sure life will go on much the same if I stay as I am.

But I see @carlos point, albeit kind of mute/lame

On 2012-09-07 07:41, caf4926 wrote:

> LOL -yes.
> And I sure wouldn’t pain myself with the displeasure of installing and
> using windows.
> I never got lost yet without a TomTom.

But I do. With and without :-}
Even people born in Madrid get lost easily on it.

> Pretty sure life will go on much the same if I stay as I am.
>
> But I see @carlos point, albeit kind of mute/lame

Well, my point is that there are gadgets around that are only usable from Windows, like it or not
(and I don’t). When I can, I choose hardware that works in Linux, but sometimes I have no choice.

As it happens, I do have Windows training that I can put in my CV, but not Linux training (and you
can guess which I prefer and know more about). But if I find a job for which I have to use Windows,
I will not say no, either.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

It’s not because of Madrid, it’s because of Windows. lol!

On 2012-09-08 07:36, please try again wrote:

>
> It’s not because of Madrid, it’s because of Windows. lol!

Ha! Even those with no navigator?

But the TomTom runs Linux inside, we think, which makes more… can’t find the word… hateful?
their refusal to make a Linux software for the management in the computer.

The model 1000 is horrible in this respect, is a closed box entirely. Previous models you connected
to the computer and saw a disk, like any usb gadget. Not now… it is impossible to do a backup,
replace files… Now it uses some kind of encrypted connection to block third party applications.

Next device I buy will not be a tomtom if I can find something better.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

If they regularly used Windows, they might suffer irreversible brain damage and/or memory loss. But I told you that already, remember?

Well, I bought a TomTom XL (model 4E.T0.002.03 / Canada 310) yesterday and the HOME/mapshare app installed, updated and worked fine in a XP VM under VMWarePlayer. I was able to update the maps, voices and other stuff in the device connected through USB without issues.

So perhaps it’s a TT step in the right direction - or a slip in their don’t-care-about-linux policy…