Thunderbird 15.0 - Lightning (calendar) not working

Today I installed Thunderbrid 15.0 from the Mozilla repo for my 12.1 x86_64/KDE 4.9 system
On startup, Tbird said Lightning (previously used) 1.6 was not compatible and downloaded Lightning 1.7.
Everything started OK, but no calendar display. I use Google Calendar via the Provider for Google Calendar v 0.13.

A quick Google of the problem found others having similar issue.

For now, I backed Tbird down to 14.0 with YAST, removed Lightning 1.7 and installed Lightning 1.6 from HERE

All is well.
I have not seen any other fixes as yet.

If you install the** Provider for Google Calendar v0.16.** then Lightning 1.7 works fine with Thunderbird 15.0

Thanks for the tip.
For readers, you will find the Google Provider v .16 update HERE

After upgrading to TBird 15 and starting it, it will automatically detect that Lightning is not compatible, offer to search, find and install Lightning 1.7.
On restart - Lightning calendar but no (Google) calendar items displayed.
Download Google Provider .16 manually from the above URL.
In TBird, select Tools-Add-Ons
Open the dropdown menu under the wrench, upper right quadrant of the window, and select “Install Add-on from File”.
Navigate to the location it was downloaded to, select the downloaded .xpi file and Open it
The new version .16 will overwrite what you have installed (I had v.13), no need to remove or disable the old one.

I assume the Google Provider .xpi file lacks the version compatibility information which enables the automatic detection, such as what occurs with Lightning.

Anyway, all is well again with TBird 15.0 running.

Be careful. I did not backup my contacts BEFORE following this tip and now I have data missing, duplicates. Basically I had contacts “grouped” in a way that made since to me now stuff is everywhere and can’t find some of my contacts. MAN!

If you want to stay with the more recent Thunderbird/Lightning versions, you can also access Google Calendar via CalDAV:

Get Started with CalDAV - Google Calendar Help

When you say “contacts” are you referring to information in the Thunderbird address book?
Or are you linked somehow to Google contacts?

I experienced no issues with the Thunderbird address books (I maintain several)

Google contacts. I had contacts grouped my work, personal, etc… Afterwards, contacts were dumped into one list.