Thread: Cant open sop address with firefox

Default Cant open sop address with firefox

Anyone can tell me how can i open sop addresses ( like sop://broker.sopcast.com:3912/79509). With firefox ?

Ive read many howtos but they are very old and dont work with newer versions of firefox.

I want to launch the sopcast-player directly, as you can open an spotify address in spotify...

Thanks...

References : Sopcast player sopcast-player - SopCast Player is designed to be an easy to use Linux GUI front-end for the p2p streaming technology developed by SopCast - Google Project Hosting
    Sopcast.com

You can find rpm for opensuse in hillwood repos obs://build.opensuse.org/home:hillwood ( both sopcast and sopcast-player) and also a totem-plugin-sopcast

Blog Entries

Default Re: Cant open sop address with firefox

I'm not familiar with the sopcast protocol or the players , so I can only go on what I've read (today), and my assistance will be minimal. I don't pretend to understand all of the requirements, but I did try the advice below:

Assuming you have the sopcast-player, then following the file-association instructions here (thanks to user joaomart)

Installation - sopcast-player - SopCast Player is designed to be an easy to use Linux GUI front-end for the p2p streaming technology developed by SopCast - Google Project Hosting

You have to add a sopcast-player.desktop file inside ~/.local/share/applications configured in this manner:

[Desktop Entry]
    Name=Sopcast Player
    Exec=sopcast-player %u
    Icon=sopcast.icon
    Type=Application
    Terminal=false
    MimeType=x-scheme-handler/sop;

Then, you have to configure mimeapps.list and add the sopcast-player.desktop to your Added Associations. Like this:

[Added Associations]
    x-scheme-handler/sop=sopcast-player.desktop;
    After I had completed the above steps, I then navigated to the sop:// address you gave, I was able to have firefox (or any other browser) prompt me to launch the sopcast-player application.

I hope this is of help to you.

Default Re: Cant open sop address with firefox

Thanks finally it worked for me....

Can you give me a solution to open spotify songs and playlists ??

Thanks again