Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kmail 4.9 difficulties

Default Kmail 4.9 difficulties

I have been using KDE & Kmail for some years. After the upgrades to KDE4 we have struck a number of problems with Kmail, particularly the use of email distribution lists (or now Groups).

My present system is running opensuse 12.1 and I had been using KDE from the KDE Release48 repos, with no joy to getting the email distribution lists or groups functioning.

This has been a real concern as my wife is actively involved with some community committees and various sub-committees and has quite a volume of email to be distributed selectively to members of these committees.

In the hope that things would improve with the latest KDE I changed the repos to Release49 Core & Extra in the last few days to test Kmail.

Unfortunately, it does not appear to resolve the distribution/group email issue.

I have setup a test "Group" with 3 or 4 email addresses. I then opened a new message in Kmail, used the "Select" box and looked through the address Book for the test group, selected Test as the To: address and proceeded to send the email. This failed having attempted to send an email to test@penguin (the localhost name) or test@bestpond.com (our domain) and no mention of the real addresses in the test group that should have been receiving the emails. (Note that the contact list shows the Test addresses in the right pane correctly.)

I then started to send an email to the kde-opensuse list and it was rejected as "including html" which is of course not permitted on the mailing lists. I cannot seem to find how I can change my settings to send text only emails since upgrading to Kmail 4.9. When I upgraded I had simply gone on using Kmail as before and, it appears, something has changed such that all emails now go as html, or perhaps I am just not looking in the right place to check this.

I would appreciate it if anyone could advise me on how to setup Kmail 4.9 to enable me to continue posting to "text only" mailing lists. Also is their any solution to the use of groups for email distribution, or could some wiser people advise me on a suitable alternative email client which will handle distribution lists as well as being reasonably similar to kmail and be compatible with maildir mailboxes.

Thanks,
    john
    Last edited by beagletux; 23-Aug-2012 at 19:43. Reason: add tags

Default Re: Kmail 4.9 difficulties

I do not know if this realy helps. I am reading the KDE-PIM mailinglist at https://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kdepim-users for some considerable time now. IMHO it is full of problems like your's. While the frequency of "show stopper" problems is going down the last monthes, there are still a lot of people struggling with things like you have. Please take a look.

It is the main reason I am still on openSUSE 11.4 with KDE 4.6 (and my wife on openSUSE 11.2 with KDE 4.3.5) because first new Kaddressbook was completley broken and incompatible with the old way of working (that may be better now, but I am not sure) and later Kmail went through the same sequence of:
    . everything is new now;
    . but it can not do the things it did for years;
    . it will break the things (addresses, old mails, ...) you had for years;
    . we will slowly crawl out of that deep hole, inventing all the things that were there earlier anew.
    Sorry for being a bit down on this (and sarcastic).
    Henk van Velden

My experience is a bit like what hcvv writes, I used kmail for 8+ years
    and finally this year gave definitely up on it and replaced it on my
    machines with Thunderbird.
    So sorry I cannot tell you how to make that work what you want and can
    only recommend to look into TB or Evolution which are not so broken
    (sorry meant "redesigned") to see if they fit your needs.

--
    PC: oS 12.2 x86_64 | i7-2600@3.40GHz | 16GB | KDE 4.8.4 | GeForce GT 420
    ThinkPad E320: oS 12.1 x86_64 | i3@2.30GHz | 8GB | KDE 4.8.5 | HD 3000
    eCAFE 800: oS 12.1 i586 | AMD Geode LX 800@500MHz | 512MB | KDE 3.5.10

Sorry that I cannot help.
    I have been using kmail for years and I loved it. But I had to switch to a different program because some features don't work properly.
    I had issues with mailing lists. And also with autocompletion addresses. I neved managed to get this feature work.
    If these problems get fixed, I definitely will go back to kmail.

Hi there,
    To make a distribution list in kmail for the first time you need to add all the names to a new message. You'll get a "save the list" button next to all the names. You can save the list in your contacts, giving it a name. The next time you send them a message you slect the named list.
    Is this what you are trying to do?
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    I do not know if this realy helps. I am reading the KDE-PIM mailinglist at https://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kdepim-users for some considerable time now. IMHO it is full of problems like your's. While the frequency of "show stopper" problems is going down the last monthes, there are still a lot of people struggling with things like you have. Please take a look.
    Thank you for your comments, I had a quick look at the list and will follow up with a more detailed read. Unfortunately, at this time it would be rather difficult to go back to earlier versions. So it appears that for at least the near future we will be selecting an alternative to Kmail.

Kind regards,
    john

Quote Originally Posted by martin_helm View Post
    My experience is a bit like what hcvv writes, I used kmail for 8+ years
    and finally this year gave definitely up on it and replaced it on my
    machines with Thunderbird.
    So sorry I cannot tell you how to make that work what you want and can
    only recommend to look into TB or Evolution which are not so broken
    (sorry meant "redesigned") to see if they fit your needs.
    Thank you Martin, after reading the comments from hcvv and yourself we will change from Kmail until such time as it really works again. I will look at Thunderbird and Evolution as you suggest as well as a couple of other possible choices like claws mail, or seamonkey (I think that was another) that I have seen elsewhere.

Kind regards,
    john

Hi wrbbt, thanks for your comments.

Quote Originally Posted by peteh100 View Post
    Hi there,
    To make a distribution list in kmail for the first time you need to add all the names to a new message. You'll get a "save the list" button next to all the names. You can save the list in your contacts, giving it a name. The next time you send them a message you slect the named list.
    Is this what you are trying to do?
    Hi Pete, I had used the existing addressbook via the Contacts icon added a group and then email addresses to that group. That failed to use the included email addresses as per my opening post.

I tried going the new message path as you suggested, but after naming the distribution list it fails to allow any of the selected address to be added.

While I will keep an eye on any progress towards releasing a fully functional Kmail version again, we need to have all the features available now so I am looking at alternatives as I mentioned above.

I would welcome any further suggestions on suitable email clients to replace Kmail. The main requirements are correct handling of distributions lists, and ease of setting them up, handling of text emails for mailing lists, use Maildir mailbox format, Imap, Import/Export capability of addresses and multiple user identities.

Thanks,
    John

Hi John
    I'm still a little unsure what you want to achieve.
    If I send an email to a group the message will go to all in that group and the addresses of all recipients show in the received message.
    My kmail (which is also KDE49) automatically sends text unless replying to a message that was sent in html. You can switch this off so all messages go in text if you prefer.
    Pete

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast