Need to remove a Gnome theme????

I apologize if this post is not in the right spot.
Anyway I copy and pasted about 6 new theme files to usr/share/gnome-shell and then hit alt-f2 r and the system went wiggy. Got the unhappy computer icon that said the system could not recover. Now I am in failsafe mode and have cd in root mode to /usr/share/gnome-shell. I would just like to know how to remove the files that I placed there. I called the files I placed in there theme 1, theme 2, etc…
Thank you for your time

Hi
Can you run the following command and post the output (between code
tags)

cd /usr/share/gnome-shell
ls

Else if you are confident you are in the right place (first command
checks;

pwd
rm -r theme\ 1

You can then work through each one :wink:

Themes go in your home directory and you use the theme tool to install
via the ‘advanced settings’ search for it in overview.

Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11 (x86_64) Kernel 3.0.38-0.5-default
up 1 day 12:24, 2 users, load average: 0.20, 0.27, 0.33
CPU Intel i5 CPU M520@2.40GHz | Intel Arrandale GPU

Apart from the helpfull remarks from malcolmlewis, in the more general case where you copy things somewhere and you want to identify them, is the date/time stamp of those files not telling you which where the ones you just put there opposed from the ones sitting there allready for ages?

Ok, I deleted all of the files I added. It still will not start. I renamed the original theme folder to theme 1. Can I rename it to theme? would that help?
Or is there some type of config I need to do? I am Still in failsafe mode.
Thanks.

You better listen to malcolmlewis when he asks you to post the output of

ls

It is difficult to help someone who does not cooperate :wink:

And of course you post that computer code complete (prompt, command, output, next prompt) between CODE tags: http://forums.opensuse.org/english/information-new-users/advanced-how-faq-read-only/451526-posting-code-tags-guide.html

Sorry, this is what it says,
extensions js search_providers shaders theme 1

It listed other themes before, but I have deleted them. The theme 1 folder is the original I just renamed it theme 1 instead of theme.
So what to do know? I know just enough to screw things up (obviously).
Thanks again.

Also, I ran the zypper help command and I found out that I can reinstall gnome-shell with the si command, but I do not have internet access for the computer in question right now. I am at work. Hopefully there is a fix for this without the internet right now? I have a install cd as well, if that helps.
Thanks.

Hi
theme 1 should be theme, so rename it and reset ownership etc;

pwd
mv theme\ 1 theme
chmod 0755 theme
chown root:root theme
cd theme
pwd
chmod 644 *

Else I would look at re-installing the gnome shell;

zypper in -f gnome-shell

up 1 day 15:48, 2 users, load average: 0.42, 0.53, 0.68

Malcolm YOU ROCK!!! thank you!!! worked great!

Nice that it runs again. But you failed to post as I told you: CODE tags, inclusing prompt and command. Please try to undertstand this before you ask a next time.

Ok Mr. Velden I will do this in the future. One more question while I am here, How do I install Gnome Themes using Gnome Tweak Tool? I see the Shell Extensions but I don’t know what to look for as far as a file to open in the Install Shell Extension icon?
Thank you again, I will try to be less annoying in the future. I realize you guy’s deal with Dorks all day.

That is OK. Because the CODE feature is rather hidden in the interface we have to tell evrybody who comes here for the firsttime. We are used to it.

The Gnome question I leave to another, I am not a Gnome user. When you do not get an answer here after some waiting you better start a new thread with a title that tells clearly about your question. Hiding new questions in other threads is mostly not usefull, because many people will not see that.

Hi
Have you installed the user-theme extension? If so all you need to do
is browse to the downloaded theme (tarball) and select it, the theme
extension will do the rest…

up 1 day 16:55, 2 users, load average: 1.00, 0.80, 0.81

Is the user theme extension part of the gnome tweak tool? I see shell extension and the icon to install shell extension. I tried to get it to open a tar file and it wouldn’t do it.