Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Memtest86 on 12.2 RC2 DVD

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Moses Lake, WA. USA
    Posts
    474

    Default Memtest86 on 12.2 RC2 DVD

    Has anyone tried this program? I have been having random issues
    including a disk that was wiped out after an update.

    Errors were reported. I decided to run memtes86 from DVD. It runs
    perfectly until Test 7 starts and then it reports thousands of errors
    staring 0x08100000. My ram is 4 2GB DDR3 memoey modules which have run
    for four years. It does not matter which slot they are in or how many
    are plugged in. I feel it a problem with memtest86, but not sure when to
    report it or what version it is. The version tha installs with YaST is
    4.20-7.1.1-x86_64 from openSUSE-12.2-OSS repo. The binary it install
    goes into/Boot by default. I am also wondering if it can be put on a
    thumb drive. Readme say a floppy or a folder. No floppy on my system.

    An help would be greatly appreciated. I will report this on Bugzilla.

    Russ
    --
    openSUSE 12.2(3.4.6-1.1-desktop x86_64)|KDE 4.8.4
    "release 2"|Intel core2duo 2.5 MHZ,|8GB
    DDR3|GeForce 8400GS(NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-295.71)

  2. #2
    Will Honea NNTP User

    Default Re: Memtest86 on 12.2 RC2 DVD

    Russ Fineman wrote:

    > Has anyone tried this program? I have been having random issues
    > including a disk that was wiped out after an update.
    >
    > Errors were reported. I decided to run memtes86 from DVD. It runs
    > perfectly until Test 7 starts and then it reports thousands of errors
    > staring 0x08100000. My ram is 4 2GB DDR3 memoey modules which have run
    > for four years. It does not matter which slot they are in or how many
    > are plugged in. I feel it a problem with memtest86, but not sure when to
    > report it or what version it is. The version tha installs with YaST is
    > 4.20-7.1.1-x86_64 from openSUSE-12.2-OSS repo. The binary it install
    > goes into/Boot by default. I am also wondering if it can be put on a
    > thumb drive. Readme say a floppy or a folder. No floppy on my system.
    >
    > An help would be greatly appreciated. I will report this on Bugzilla.


    I would suggest that you do some slot-swapping with your RAM modules. If
    you have, in fact, a bad RAM stick it will show the same address if you swap
    in the same 64-bit pair but will move when you swap it into the other pair.

    From the bare results you give it's far more likely to be a bum memory than
    anything else. Not surprising - that's why the memtest86 utility is so
    prominently carried.

    --
    Will Honea

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Moses Lake, WA. USA
    Posts
    474

    Default Re: Memtest86 on 12.2 RC2 DVD

    Will Honea wrote:
    > Russ Fineman wrote:
    >
    >> Has anyone tried this program? I have been having random issues
    >> including a disk that was wiped out after an update.
    >>
    >> Errors were reported. I decided to run memtes86 from DVD. It runs
    >> perfectly until Test 7 starts and then it reports thousands of errors
    >> staring 0x08100000. My ram is 4 2GB DDR3 memoey modules which have run
    >> for four years. It does not matter which slot they are in or how many
    >> are plugged in. I feel it a problem with memtest86, but not sure when to
    >> report it or what version it is. The version tha installs with YaST is
    >> 4.20-7.1.1-x86_64 from openSUSE-12.2-OSS repo. The binary it install
    >> goes into/Boot by default. I am also wondering if it can be put on a
    >> thumb drive. Readme say a floppy or a folder. No floppy on my system.
    >>
    >> An help would be greatly appreciated. I will report this on Bugzilla.

    >
    > I would suggest that you do some slot-swapping with your RAM modules. If
    > you have, in fact, a bad RAM stick it will show the same address if you swap
    > in the same 64-bit pair but will move when you swap it into the other pair.
    >
    > From the bare results you give it's far more likely to be a bum memory than
    > anything else. Not surprising - that's why the memtest86 utility is so
    > prominently carried.
    >

    Thanks for the response. I have four memory modules and I have swapped
    them in all combination's including taking all out except one. Same
    problem.

    Finally searched Bugzilla and found bug reported on the version of
    memtest shipped with 12.2 version.

    Bug: https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=773569

    which sounds like similar problem. Added comment to it.

    --
    openSUSE 12.2(3.4.6-1.1-desktop x86_64)|KDE 4.8.4
    "release 2"|Intel core2duo 2.5 MHZ,|8GB
    DDR3|GeForce 8400GS(NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-295.71)

  4. #4
    Will Honea NNTP User

    Default Re: Memtest86 on 12.2 RC2 DVD

    Russ Fineman wrote:

    > Finally searched Bugzilla and found bug reported on the version of
    > memtest shipped with 12.2 version.


    Good to know. I keep a copy of Puppy Linux on a cd with all the diag apps
    on it just to avoid such "improvements" so maybe it's time for the biennial
    update to that ;-)

    --
    Will Honea

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Moses Lake, WA. USA
    Posts
    474

    Default Re: Memtest86 on 12.2 RC2 DVD

    Will Honea wrote:
    > Russ Fineman wrote:
    >
    >> Finally searched Bugzilla and found bug reported on the version of
    >> memtest shipped with 12.2 version.

    >
    > Good to know. I keep a copy of Puppy Linux on a cd with all the diag apps
    > on it just to avoid such "improvements" so maybe it's time for the biennial
    > update to that ;-)
    >

    Loaded the 12.1 version of memtest86+ yesterday and it ran for four
    hours (3+passes0 without an error. The problem appears to be in testing
    the last 2 GB of my memory with the 12.2 version. It always shows more
    memory that is actually installed ( show end at 8187M, it ends at 8196
    if I remember right. Also 12.2 version starts at 196K, where 12.1
    version starts at 200K. All tests ran fine on 12.1 version, 12.2
    versions fails at test 7.

    Still need to try newer version of memtest.



    --
    openSUSE 12.2(3.4.6-1.1-desktop x86_64)|KDE 4.8.4
    "release 2"|Intel core2duo 2.5 MHZ,|8GB
    DDR3|GeForce 8400GS(NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-295.71)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •