Thread: Write privilege for external drives

Question Write privilege for external drives

I recently installed openSUSE 12.1 64 bits. When I did the installation I left two USB external hard drive connected. The drives were mounted as /windows/c and /windows/d. I'm able to access and read, however I can't not write on it (root has full privileges). How do allow user 1 &2 to access the drive with full privileges?
    Arodlinux
    WARNING: I might say more than I know!

Blog Entries

Default Re: Write privilege for external drives

If you leave them permanently connected, then you need to edit "/etc/fstab" and set the appropriate permissions.

Here's my entry for "/windows/C"
    Code:
    /dev/disk/by-id/ata-WDC_WD3200AAKS-75SBA0_WD-WCAPZ2050503-part3 /windows/C           ntfs-3g    ro,user,noauto,users,uid=1001,gid=users,fmask=133,dmask=022,locale=en_US.UTF-8 0 0
    In this case, the "uid=1001" is what makes the files there all appear to be owned by me. Check your own uid in "/etc/passwd".
    The "gid=users" together with "fmask=133" and "dmask=022" should make it writeable by everyone in the group "users". I make myself the owner, so that I can use "cp -p" and preserve the timestamp on files that I copy.

And don't try copying everything there. For example, the "noauto" means that the disk is not automatically mounted on reboot, and you probably don't want that.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

Thanks a lot! Is there documentation on that and where? I would like to read more about that...
    Arodlinux

Blog Entries

Smile Re: Write privilege for external drives

Quote Originally Posted by arodlinux View Post
    Thanks a lot! Is there documentation on that and where? I would like to read more about that...
    Here is a good link to read: HowTo Mount NTFS Filesystem Partition Read Write Access in openSUSE

Here is my NTFS Partition from my fstab file:

Code:
    /dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST31000528AS_9VP1AEZJ-part1                         /Software            ntfs-3g    defaults                                     0 0
    You may find more info here: fstab - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thank You,
    My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

Its James again from Austin, Texas

Thanks guys ... problem solved
    Arodlinux