Thread: opensuse suddenly not booting

Default opensuse suddenly not booting

Hi---Opensuse 11.4 on an hp laptop. Suddenly when I turn the thing on all I get is a flashing _ no boot or anything. At first I thought it was a hard drive failure but I did a diagnostic test on the hard drive and it seems to be working fine.

So what should I do from here? I have a really nice photo archive on that laptop that I would like to keep.

I burned an ISO of the latest opensuse 12.1. The DVD booted up no problem...I selected the "Rescue" option...at first I wasn't sure what to do there but eventually typed admin and got to a bash prompt but I have no idea what to do there.

Any assistance would be welcome. I'm a definite linux noob.

Should I just install opensuse 12.1 over the 11.4? Will it keep all my photo archive/users etc?

Thank you in advance!

Blog Entries

Default Re: opensuse suddenly not booting

I would boot the live cd and backup your files first.

You could install 12.1 and keep /home unformatted (assuming you have /home and / on separate partitions)
    Leap 15.1_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

Better first try to find out what is wrong all of a sudden before going for something.

When you turn the "thing" on, all you get is flashing. When I do turn my HP desktop on, what I get is an HP splash screen with possibilities to go to the BIOS, or to rescue, etc. Do I understand correct that you do not get that? Then how do you get into booting a CD/DVD?
    Henk van Velden

you are correct-- when the thing is turned on I get the flash screen with options for bios etc. forgot to mention that. that stuff happens first before the flashing _

I did not put /home and / on spearate partitions. Is it possible when installing 12.1 that I could keep the /home on teh one partition and then put 12.1 on a new partition? I'm assuming when you say / that means the OS?

Blog Entries

Is it possible when installing 12.1 that I could keep the /home on teh one partition
    No
    You need to backup

I'm assuming when you say / that means the OS?
    Yes
    Leap 15.1_KDE

Quote Originally Posted by crumpybumpy View Post
    you are correct-- when the thing is turned on I get the flash screen with options for bios etc. forgot to mention that. that stuff happens first before the flashing _

I did not put /home and / on spearate partitions. Is it possible when installing 12.1 that I could keep the /home on teh one partition and then put 12.1 on a new partition? I'm assuming when you say / that means the OS?
    Are you now sure you told it exactly? Sorry for my mistrust, but it was correct, wasn't it? So after the HP-BIOS splash, one normaly gets the Grub flash with menu to choose what to boot. (there may be very short a black screen with a short line telling about GRUB before that). Now is it correct, you do not get the Grub screen?

(And please, do not say something like: "Oh yes, I see Grub, but it is after that", tell exactly what you see, do, etc. because we can not look over your shoulder and are not clairvoyant).
    Henk van Velden

Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    Are you now sure you told it exactly? Sorry for my mistrust, but it was correct, wasn't it? So after the HP-BIOS splash, one normaly gets the Grub flash with menu to choose what to boot. (there may be very short a black screen with a short line telling about GRUB before that). Now is it correct, you do not get the Grub screen?

(And please, do not say something like: "Oh yes, I see Grub, but it is after that", tell exactly what you see, do, etc. because we can not look over your shoulder and are not clairvoyant).
    All I get is HP BIOS Splash..then the blinking _ That is it. No Grub.

One additional thing I tried was I loaded the opensuse 12.1 DVD and went to the install and selected "update" It then did show all of 11.4 was still on the C drive. I have not been able to access the C drive to see what is there though beyond that. I tried loading DSL 4.2 I think but it could not find the knoppix file system. What reliable linux system that loads into RAM should I try to try to back up my files onto a usb drive? ALl i really need are photo files and text documenst for my kids' school projects etc.

Blog Entries

PCLinuxOS loads to RAM as can Parted Magic
    Leap 15.1_KDE