Problems installing FreeNX on OpenSUSE 12.1

Hi,
I have been trying to install FreeNX since the last 2 days and it just doesnt work.
I installed the ‘please-try-again’ package of FreeNX from FreeNX - openSUSE for OpenSUSE 12.1
Things didn’t work out mentioned in all pages that I read. e.g SDB:FreeNX server - openSUSE .
There were a lot of issues and I resolved them 1 by 1, and here is how.
I removed everything in /tmp/.X11-unix directory.
I installed ‘terminal font’ package.

Here are some of the things that I believe might be a way to find the problem.
when I run ‘nxagent’ , it shows up the NX splash screen and a back window, and the following

NXAGENT - Version 3.5.0

Copyright (C) 2001, 2011 NoMachine.
See http://www.nomachine.com/ for more information.

Info: Agent running with pid '48960'.
Session: Starting session at 'Fri Aug 10 13:52:15 2012'.
Info: Using alpha channel in render extension.
Info: Not using local device configuration changes.
error opening security policy file /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xserver/SecurityPolicy
Session: Session started at 'Fri Aug 10 13:52:16 2012'.

When I try to log in using the NX Client, it shows the NX red splash for a few milliseconds and then closes.
Following is the ‘Detail’

Info: Display running with pid ‘38256’ and handler ‘0x4f07ea’.

NXPROXY - Version 3.4.0

Copyright (C) 2001, 2010 NoMachine.
See NoMachine NX - Desktop Virtualization and Remote Access Management Software for more information.

Info: Proxy running in client mode with pid ‘38820’.
Session: Starting session at ‘Fri Aug 10 13:53:57 2012’.
Warning: Connected to remote version 3.5.0 with local version 3.4.0.
Warning: Consider checking NoMachine NX - Desktop Virtualization and Remote Access Management Software for updates.
Info: Connection with remote proxy completed.
Warning: Unrecognized session type ‘unix-desktop’. Assuming agent session.
Info: Using LAN link parameters 1536/24/1/0.
Info: Using pack method ‘adaptive-9’ with session ‘unix-desktop’.
Info: Not using NX delta compression.
Info: Not using ZLIB data compression.
Info: Not using ZLIB stream compression.
Info: Not using a persistent cache.
Info: Forwarding X11 connections to display ‘:0’.
Info: Listening to font server connections on port ‘11100’.
Session: Session started at ‘Fri Aug 10 13:53:58 2012’.
Info: Established X server connection.
Info: Using shared memory parameters 0/0K.
Session: Terminating session at ‘Fri Aug 10 13:53:58 2012’.
Session: Session terminated at ‘Fri Aug 10 13:53:58 2012’.

Then I looked into ~/.nx/ for the logs. The following is the ‘session’ log.

NXAGENT - Version 3.5.0

Copyright (C) 2001, 2011 NoMachine.
See NoMachine NX - Desktop Virtualization and Remote Access Management Software for more information.

Info: Agent running with pid ‘47479’.
Session: Starting session at ‘Fri Aug 10 12:59:22 2012’.
Info: Proxy running in server mode with pid ‘47479’.
Info: Waiting for connection from ‘127.0.0.1’ on port ‘5100’.
Info: Accepted connection from ‘127.0.0.1’.
Warning: Connected to remote version 3.4.0 with local version 3.5.0.
Info: Connection with remote proxy completed.
Info: Using LAN link parameters 1536/24/1/0.
Info: Using agent parameters 5000/0/50/0/0.
Info: Using pack method ‘adaptive-9’ with session ‘unix-desktop’.
Info: Using product ‘LFE/None/LFEN/None’.
Info: Not using NX delta compression.
Info: Not using ZLIB data compression.
Info: Not using ZLIB stream compression.
Info: Not using a persistent cache.
Info: Listening to X11 connections on display ‘:1100’.
Info: Established X client connection.
Info: Using shared memory parameters 1/1/0/0K.
Info: Using alpha channel in render extension.
Info: Using local device configuration changes.
Error: Aborting session with 'Could not open default font ‘fixed’'.
Session: Aborting session at ‘Fri Aug 10 12:59:23 2012’.
Session: Session aborted at ‘Fri Aug 10 12:59:23 2012’.
Warning: Signals were not blocked in process with pid ‘47479’.
Info: Watchdog running with pid ‘47494’.
Info: Waiting the watchdog process to complete.

FYI: I have installed all xorg-x11 fonts. including the terminal fonts package.

Then I followed the steps in : [SOLVED] FreeNX on Fedora 14. How to fix Could not open default font ‘fixed’ ] problem. - FedoraForum.org](http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=257665)
I looked at the logs, and following is what I found relevant. Not sure if it is actually of any help.

47731 open(“/usr/lib/NX/lib/libm.so.6”, O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
47731 open(“/usr/lib/NX/lib/libc.so.6”, O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
47731 open(“/usr/lib/NX/lib/libc.so.6”, O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
47731 open(“/lib64/libc.so.6”, O_RDONLY) = 3
47731 open(“/usr/lib/NX/lib/libdl.so.2”, O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
47731 open(“tls/x86_64/libdl.so.2”, O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
47731 open(“tls/libdl.so.2”, O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
47731 open(“x86_64/libdl.so.2”, O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
47731 open(“libdl.so.2”, O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
47731 open(“/usr/lib/NX/lib/libdl.so.2”, O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)

There are many such lines where it is looking for libraries in /usr/lib/NX/lib and it is not able to find those.
Well, they don’t exist. :slight_smile: But there are some libraries present there, which the NX install script installed, and I don’t see why, I would need anything more than that.

Moral of the story is , I am not able to access my OpenSUSE server using my NX Client, and I cannot determine the problem.
All help is appreciated.
Thanks a lot.

Hi,
Here’s a solution that works: Setting up NX server (part I: FreeNX)

Basically, all you need to do is:

• install my repo:
# zypper ar http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/please_try_again/openSUSE_12.1/  PTA
  • refresh my repo
# zypper  refresh -r PTA
  • install FreeNX (it’s a different build)
# zypper in FreeNX
  • and run this script:
# freenx-setup

If you want to use NoMachine generic key pair, use this instead:

# freenx-setup -n

If you want to re-use your keys, copy all files present in /var/lib/nxserver/home/.ssh somewhere else and copy them back after you’re done with FreeNX setup. These files must be owned by the nx user. But make sure the keys are not in /etc/nxserver - I don’t know this version. My version is based on Fedora including some other bugfixes.

You can see the different options with:

# freenx-setup -h

If it doesn’t work - but it should - I have a new version of freenx-setup I haven’t uploaded yet. This new version works on openSUSE, Fedora, Ubuntu, Mandriva and ArchLinux.

You might be interested in the second article: Setting up NX server (part II: NoMachine NX)

• Of course you should first uninstall the FreeNX and NX version you have installed (or were trying to install) and make sure you install FreeNX and NX from my repo!
    ** Don’t apply any patch you might find on other pages. They are probably obsolete or not needed.

Hey thanks for the reply.
I am still unable to run it. Can you tell me where all the ‘remains’ of my old NX would possibly be. May be I am unable to remove that and hence it’s just using the old stuffs/libraries/configs. I did nxsetup --uninstall --purge. Then I did zypper rm FreeNX. Removed contents of /etc/nxserver.
I am giving it all another shot. Now I will try installing using the rpm instead of repo.

Well. Just found out. There is no rpm for FreeNX server. Only for client. Never mind. I will try to go more deep into the errors. :frowning:

Of course there is one - in my repo. I just found a bug while looking for another one. See this post: Latest ‘zypper update’ broke NX. If you install FreeNX as described in post #2, then comment out the offending AGENT_EXTRA_OPTIONS_X line in /etc/nxserver/node.conf, it will work. I justed tested it on a fresh install in a virtual machine.

I’ll fix the package ASAP.

There are files and keys left in /var/lib/nxserver and /etc/nxserver. Remove these directories as well as the nx user and group before reinstalling FreeNX.

# su -l
# zypper rm <name of the freenx package>*
# rm -r /var/lib/nxserver /etc/nxserver
# zypper refresh -r PTA
# zypper in FreeNX
# freenx-setup (with the options you need)

• FreeNX is the name of my package - based on Fedora with a couple more bugs fixed*. You can not delete it without having installed it before. I started building it a while ago, as the one in the official repo didn’t work - didn’t even install actually. If it’s working now, it’s fine with me. The other package might have another name (I’ve seen freenx-server and freenx in other builds).

• and a couple new bugs, as you just noticed… But I will fix that. In the meantine, commenting out the AGENT_EXTRA_OPTIONS_X line should do the trick.

Haha… Funny … I was just gonna comment out AGENT_EXTRA_OPTIONS_X, but thought, wait let me check whether you have responded yet. And there it was.
Thanks a lot. That worked.

Package is fixed now.

To anyone intending to install FreeNX from this repo: make sure you refresh the repo first!