Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Acer 64bit laptop dual boot------ > GRUB Loading Stage 1.5 : Error 15

Unhappy New Acer 64bit laptop dual boot------ > GRUB Loading Stage 1.5 : Error 15

Hi Team,

Very Recent I've purchased a new Acer 64bit with nvidia graphics laptop waited for a long time to work with opensuse cloud technology(mirall). Unfortunately, I'm facing a new problem.

Might be a lengthy story :

Problem :

I've downloaded the new KDE 12.1 live CD iso file and burned it to a CD. Prior to the installation I've made a two partitions 400GB(Windows) and 190GB(Linux) in the windows. When booted through the CD I've choosen installation with default settings of kernel in the options it loaded the files for a while and a blank screen waited for long time but no progess.

Again I've booted and choosen the installation with safe mode installation. Then, selected the linux drive where the partition is splitted into 90GB for ext4 / and 30GB for / and 2GB swap space. But the windows drive have got paritioned into two (120GB and 190GB unallocated).

Installation is over and tried to boot with opensuse for the first time but it started throwing some error that /sbin/mod* process got killed, so again booted with fail mode with open suse, got into the tty without any problem. Then again rebooted and logged to windows7 where I've merged the unallocated space to the main C drive (120+190GB). Started to reboot again.

Booom.....GRUB Loadin stage 1.5 : Error 15. No options on how to recover, got stuck.

No Idea what should I do...any help would be appreciated.

Regards,
    AnuragSatish .P

Default Re: New Acer 64bit laptop dual boot------ > GRUB Loading Stage 1.5 : Error 15

Also the the graphics card version is GT520M with Optimus technology.

Default Re: New Acer 64bit laptop dual boot------ > GRUB Loading Stage 1.5 : Error 15

Quote Originally Posted by anuragsatish View Post
    Prior to the installation I've made a two partitions 400GB(Windows) and 190GB(Linux) in the windows. ...
    This will not work.

openSUSE 12.1 still uses legacy GRUB as boot manager,
    which requires that boot partitions entirely are located below 128 GB.

Do it the other way round: create a partition setup where windows installs
    in a partition below 128 GB and openSUSE 12.1 in a lower partition.

Another possibility would be to wait a bit of time for openSUSE 12.2,
    which should include GRUB 2 boot manager, fixing problems of this kind.

Good luck
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by ratzi View Post
    openSUSE 12.1 still uses legacy GRUB as boot manager,
    which requires that boot partitions entirely are located below 128 GB.
    What ?!?!?

openSUSE 12.1 can indeed UEFI boot.

But otherwise ... yes

EDIT: added version 12.1

128 GIG is a limit on old BIOS and should be no problem current machines. The installer does give a "WARNING" not an error message. Some BIOS simply do not handle it right.

I'm confused about this " two partitions 400GB(Windows) and 190GB(Linux) in the windows. ..."

Linux requires a min of 2 partitions. and openSUSE defualts to 3 swap root and home

We need much more info. What type of BIOS and what type of disk formatting on this machine.

openSUSE can indeed UEFI boot.

But otherwise ... yes
    No you are wrong there is no 128 gig restriction on GRUB it may be a restriction on old BIOS

openSUSE 12.1 can indeed UEFI boot.

But otherwise ... yes
    Otherwise ... no. This warning is mostly irrelevant.

I just couldn't get the openSUSE installer to finish its job,
    until I created a partition setup with the '/' partitions below 128 GB.

I just couldn't get the openSUSE installer to finish its job,
    until I created a partition setup with the '/' partitions below 128 GB.
    Does it mean that you don't believe us?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast