Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Latest 'zypper update' broke NX

Default Re: Latest 'zypper update' broke NX

Comment out that buggy AGENT_EXTRA_OPTIONS line in /etc/nxserver/node.conf, wich tries to parse FontPath (even if there is no FontPath defined in /etc/X11/xorg.conf and even in there is no /etc/X11/xorg.conf at all. I have been trying to fix too many bugs. That one is my fault. I have to revert this patch.

Quote Originally Posted by please_try_again View Post
    Comment out that buggy AGENT_EXTRA_OPTIONS line in /etc/nxserver/node.conf, wich tries to parse FontPath (even if there is no FontPath defined in /etc/X11/xorg.conf and even in there is no /etc/X11/xorg.conf at all. I have been trying to fix too many bugs. That one is my fault. I have to revert this patch.
    THAT DID IT!!!................but only when X isn't running. CLOSER!!! I can establish the X display through the NX client now, but only if I "init 3" on the server first. We're much closer! Seems I get the same error as before when X is running (even when the user is logged out):

Code:
    htpc:~ # cat /home/htpc/.nx/F-C-htpc-1001-8A7BB8468C43A734D5D7DC97EFEBBCCA/session
    xrdb: Connection refused
    xrdb: Can't open display ':1001'
    It's like X doesn't want to open more than one connection or display. Weird because it used to just fine.

If we can fix this, I will definitely heed dd@home.dk's advice about running "zypper patch" instead of "zypper update."

Thank you again for your time and expertise, PTA. I hope this thread will also be of help to others if they run into issues like this as well.

FIXED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111one1

Did some further digging and found this:
    problems w/ freenx 0.7.3 w/ latest nomachine sources on RHEL5... - User Support for FreeNX Server and kNX Client - ArchiveOrange

Down towards the bottom, the suggestion was the problem might be a permissions issue. So I did:

Code:
    # chmod 1777 /tmp/.X11-unix
    And then tried the client again. POOF! Got a display. Even while logged into X on the server. So it was a permissions issue on that directory the whole time. LOL! At least it's working!!!

Again, thank you for your help, PTA. I do appreciate your time and the time anyone else sacrifices to help a poor newb like myself. I hope this thread is a help to someone.

Can a mod edit the title of the thread to show [SOLVED]?

Quote Originally Posted by shane2943 View Post
    THAT DID IT!!!................but only when X isn't running.
    Yes, but that wasn't related to the first error you got (and still have). This was just a new bug I introduced.
    The package is fixed now.

CLOSER!!! I can establish the X display through the NX client now, but only if I "init 3" on the server first. We're much closer! Seems I get the same error as before when X is running (even when the user is logged out):

Code:
    htpc:~ # cat /home/htpc/.nx/F-C-htpc-1001-8A7BB8468C43A734D5D7DC97EFEBBCCA/session
    xrdb: Connection refused
    xrdb: Can't open display ':1001'
    It's like X doesn't want to open more than one connection or display. Weird because it used to just fine.
    Yes. I don't know why either. I just installed a fresh 12.1 in a virtual machine (kvm), added my repo, installed FreeNX and ran freenx-setup. It first didn't work because of AGENT_EXTRA_OPTIONS_X line I added (works OK on my systems because I have /etc/X11/xorg.cong with FontPath defined). But this bug is fixed now. I'm going to do a full update on this virtual machine and see if NX still works afterwards.

FIXED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111one1

Did some further digging and found this:
    problems w/ freenx 0.7.3 w/ latest nomachine sources on RHEL5... - User Support for FreeNX Server and kNX Client - ArchiveOrange

Down towards the bottom, the suggestion was the problem might be a permissions issue. So I did:

Code:
    # chmod 1777 /tmp/.X11-unix
    And then tried the client again. POOF! Got a display. Even while logged into X on the server. So it was a permissions issue on that directory the whole time. LOL! At least it's working!!!
    Arf! I didn't see your post before posting. You wouldn't have such problems if you would clear /tmp automatically: http://forums.opensuse.org/english/g...ml#post2425829.

This directory should be created with the right permissions at system start. It used to be missing on some systems, and I remember that I had to create it in rc.local (or atfer.local under openSUSE):

This is from an Ubuntu's /etc/rc.local - but as you can see it is commented out - meaning it's not needed anymore:

Code:
    echo "creating /tmp/.cache directory"
    # create /tmp/.cache directory
    test -d /tmp/.cache || mkdir -m 1777 /tmp/.cache
    #test -d /tmp/.ICE-unix || mkdir -m 1777 /tmp/.ICE-unix
    #test -d /tmp/.X11-unix || mkdir -m 1777 /tmp/.X11-unix

And well done btw.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12