Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Putting Home & Trashcan on KDE Desktop - openSUSE 12.1

Question Putting Home & Trashcan on KDE Desktop - openSUSE 12.1

OK, I screwed up and had to do a full instal of openSUSE 12.1 using KDE desktop.

The first install openSUSE 12.1, I found a way to add my [Home] folder and the [Trashcan] on the desktop. It was just as easy as Windoz.

The way I remember, it was in some desktop configuration option. My problem is I cannot find that now

So, how can I add [Home] and [Trashcan] to my KDE desktop?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Putting Home & Trashcan on KDE Desktop - openSUSE 12.1

Quote Originally Posted by tecknode View Post
    OK, I screwed up and had to do a full instal of openSUSE 12.1 using KDE desktop.

The first install openSUSE 12.1, I found a way to add my [Home] folder and the [Trashcan] on the desktop. It was just as easy as Windoz.

The way I remember, it was in some desktop configuration option. My problem is I cannot find that now

So, how can I add [Home] and [Trashcan] to my KDE desktop?
    Go to the Desktop Tool Box (Top Left) right click and select add Widgets the search on Folder and when you see Folder View, drag it to the desktop. You can select home or what ever folder you own but I use the Desktop folder myself. Next, search on Trash and also drag the Trash Can to the Desktop. Now you have the two things for which you ask I think.

Thank You,
    My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

Its James again from Austin, Texas

Default Re: Putting Home & Trashcan on KDE Desktop - openSUSE 13.1

Thanks for the answer.

Does anything speak against putting the Trashcan on the Desktop by default? The average user (e.g. parents, openSUSE 13.1) will be happy. The advanced user knows how to remove it.

Welcome to the forums. When KDE4 was introduced, Dolphin was introduced as the new file manager. This incorporates the Trashcan on the left hand side. You only need the Trashcan widget if you use Konqueror as the file manager because this does not incorporate a Trashcan.

Quote Originally Posted by john_hudson View Post
    You only need the Trashcan widget if you use Konqueror as the file manager because this does not incorporate a Trashcan.
    Yes it does.
    Konqueror can show the same Places panel as dolphin. Activate the "Navigation Panel" in the Settings menu (or press F9), then click on the folder overlayed with a star:

And you can also find the Trashcan in the K-Menu on the "Computer" tab.

Regarding not having a Trashcan on the Desktop by default:
    This could of course easily be added to openSUSE's default settings (upstream doesn't even have a folder view by default).
    Maybe propose it on the opensuse-KDE or factory mailinglists, or file a feature request.

Default BRe: Putting Home & Trashcan on KDE Desktop - openSUSE 12.1

Quote Originally Posted by john_hudson View Post
    You only need the Trashcan widget if you use Konqueror as the file manager because this does not incorporate a Trashcan.
    Yes it does.
    Konqueror can show the same Places panel as dolphin. Activate the "Navigation Panel" in the Settings menu (or press F9), then click on the folder overlayed with a star:

And you can also find the Trashcan in the K-Menu on the "Computer" tab.

Regarding not having a Trashcan on the Desktop by default:
    This could of course easily be added to openSUSE's default settings (upstream doesn't even have a folder view by default).
    Maybe propose it on the opensuse-kde or opensuse-factory mailinglists, or file a feature request.
    http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-kde/
    http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-factory/
    https://features.opensuse.org/
    But it's of course too late for 13.2 now.

I think in earlier versions a link to the Trashcan was indeed copied to the ~/Desktop folder when the user first logged in. No idea why that got dropped.

Thanks for that tip. Never bothered with Places - so never found it! Perhaps it wasn't on earlier versions and, because I don't use Places, I hadn't realised it had arrived.

Default Re: Putting Home & Trashcan on KDE Desktop - openSUSE 13.x

Hi, thanks for the answers.

As you suggested I created a feature request here: ["Put the Trashcan on the Desktop by default"](https://features.opensuse.org/318123).

Hello :-)
    to add a trashcan to the desktop, simply right clic on it, choose "add plasmoid" or whatever is your language name for it and drag the trashcan plasmoid.
    It's much easier than Dolphin to track your trash can.

but having it as default looks obvious for me :-)

jdd

Quote Originally Posted by jdd View Post
    Hello :-)
    to add a trashcan to the desktop, simply right clic on it, choose "add plasmoid" or whatever is your language name for it and drag the trashcan plasmoid.
    It's much easier than Dolphin to track your trash can.

but having it as default looks obvious for me :-)

jdd
    Are you still talking about openSUSE 12.1? Because that is the subject op this thread.
    Henk van Velden

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast