openSUSE 12.1 GNOME login screen!?!

So I’m using opensuse 12.1 with Gnome , I was wondering how to you replace the background at the login screen? I’m not talking about the splash screen or the grub or user desktop theme, I have taken care of those. I’m talking about that login screen , you know where you select the user and desktop and enter your password. By default it has a green opensuse background, how do you put in my own picture? I tried replacing the pic I found in /usr/share/wallpapers/openSUSEdefault/screenshot.jpg with my own image renamed it “screenshot.jpg” but it doesnt seem to work? Checked out some help in google, but didnt find concrete results, many were aimed at other versions of opensuse. Incase you’re wondering which screen I’m talking about, it this one

bit.ly/MydPAh

I see that the default image being used resides in the path I just talked about but I have no clue on how to change it. I’m pretty much a rookie linux user who jumped from ubuntu to opensuse, so I hope you dont mind if its a trivial question. Thanks in advance

On 07/23/2012 05:46 AM, havock07 wrote:
>
> I’m pretty much a rookie linux user who jumped from ubuntu …
> I hope you dont mind if its a trivial question.

welcome! while not SO trivial, it is good to stay in touch with google,
and its site specifier switch…using that to find the gold in these
forums, like
https://www.google.com/search?q=site:forums.opensuse.org+change+login+background+gnome3

(note the use of the “site:”)

included this as the number one hit:
http://forums.opensuse.org/english/get-technical-help-here/applications/468124-gnome-shell-extensions-themes-tweaks-4.html

start at post #31

dd

Thank you very much, yes although I know about this site specifier feature of Google haven’t been taking advantage of that, will do so from now! Anyway thanks for the link to that forum post, solved my problem (post #33 to be exact). If anyone has the same doubt as I had, with little shell knowledge ( like logging in as root and knowing to move/copy files), you can easily get thru this :wink: Thanks again.

On 07/23/2012 09:16 AM, havock07 wrote:
> like logging in as root and knowing to
> move/copy files

i wonder if you logged into Gnome as root, or if you used a console, or
if you used Gnome’s file manager with root powers…

two of those ways is ‘good’ and one very bad!

wanna learn? ask it…

dd

I logged in as a regular user and got into terminal/console, into root ( with su -) and then made the copies of my wallpapers from my home directory to that /usr/share/back…

Which one is bad? logging into the GUI as root and making the changes?

On 07/23/2012 09:36 PM, havock07 wrote:
> Which one is bad? logging into the GUI as root and making the changes?

yes, you did it the right way, but not everyone knows to…

dd