Thread: Strange kmix behaviour

Default Strange kmix behaviour

kmix appears to be running all the time, even when there is no other sound application running, and taking 100% of the processor. This can't be correct as other running applications don't seem to slow down.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

HTML Code:
    :~> top
    top - 06:40:53 up 54 min,  3 users,  load average: 1.00, 1.03, 1.01
    Tasks: 131 total,   2 running, 127 sleeping,   0 stopped,   2 zombie
    Cpu(s): 51.9%us,  2.3%sy,  0.0%ni, 45.1%id,  0.0%wa,  0.0%hi,  0.7%si,  0.0%st
    Mem:   4055648k total,  2379948k used,  1675700k free,    42600k buffers
    Swap:  2111484k total,        0k used,  2111484k free,  1677496k cached

PID USER      PR  NI  VIRT  RES  SHR S %CPU %MEM    TIME+  COMMAND                                              
     3859 ion       20   0  816m 191m  18m R  100  4.8  53:24.64 kmix                                                 
     3861 ion       20   0  726m  90m  63m S    6  2.3   2:42.40 ktorrent                                             
     3828 ion       20   0  654m  42m  27m S    2  1.1   0:55.93 knotify4                                             
        1 root      20   0 12460  784  644 S    0  0.0   0:00.61 init                                                 
     4416 ion       20   0  456m 112m  28m S    0  2.9   0:32.22 opera                                                
     4572 ion       20   0  421m  33m  18m S    0  0.9   0:01.88 konsole

Blog Entries

Default Re: Strange kmix behaviour

In an older version of KDE this was discussed .... whether this is applicable to you is not possible for me to tell from your post given no mention of the openSUSE nor KDE version (we need to find a way to force users to post that information - else some of us just waste our time posting on a thread where we know nothing because our information is relevant to a different openSUSE/KDE version).

Anyway, take a look here: Kmix eating up all available CPU time on one core • KDE Community Forums Where in that thread they noted every time reboot, need to kill kmix as it is using 50% of the available processing power. This usually translate to an app using 100% on one core.

The work around they adopted was to send in a terminal:
    Code:
    killall -9 kmix
    rm -rf $(kde4-config --localprefix)/share/apps/kmix/
    rm -f $(kde4-config --localprefix)/share/config/kmix*
    kmix &
    whether this is relevant to you, I don't know. I hope thou that my having taken the time to research and post this was not wasted. .....

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by oldcpu View Post
    In an older version of KDE this was discussed .... whether this is applicable to you is not possible for me to tell from your post given no mention of the openSUSE nor KDE version (we need to find a way to force users to post that information - else some of us just waste our time posting on a thread where we know nothing because our information is relevant to a different openSUSE/KDE version).
    My apologies. I have added the information to my signature, something I avoided in the past due to having used different versions on several different computers.

Quote Originally Posted by oldcpu View Post

Anyway, take a look here: Kmix eating up all available CPU time on one core • KDE Community Forums Where in that thread they noted every time reboot, need to kill kmix as it is using 50% of the available processing power. This usually translate to an app using 100% on one core.

The work around they adopted was to send in a terminal:
    Code:
    killall -9 kmix
    rm -rf $(kde4-config --localprefix)/share/apps/kmix/
    rm -f $(kde4-config --localprefix)/share/config/kmix*
    kmix &
    whether this is relevant to you, I don't know. I hope thou that my having taken the time to research and post this was not wasted. .....

Good luck.
    Thanks again. I rebooted and this seems to have solved the problem. Since I use pavucontrol to adjust my volume is kmix even necessary?

I have the same problem, on 11.4 64b KDE .
    Removing the config files and directories solved the problem....