Thread: Ran zypper patches on 12.1 after upg from 11.4 (dvd), now x won't start on startup

Unhappy Ran zypper patches on 12.1 after upg from 11.4 (dvd), now x won't start on startup

Hello,

After upgrading 11.4 to 12.1 with DVD and then running zypper's patches, now on login/startup (picking the latest SuSE option in GRUB with nomodeset), x does not start. I get dropped off at a text login prompt with message like '/usr/bin/xset cannot open display"" '. I really don't think this is due to hardware or driver (my Nvidia) problems, because I can su, and then do startx, and windowing then comes up good, except that it's not my desktop (I think it's coming up with root's desktop).

If I do startx as my own login (without going to su first), it gives me an error about an authority file in my home directory not being there, another error about not being able to move a log file, a question/warning about /usr/bin/Xorg not being setuid (I've already made the change to give it a root.root line with 4711 permission in the /etc/permission.local file), and ends up with messages like xnit failed and connection to X server being refused.

It really seems like I have all the software I need, but my ID just isn't getting permission to fire it up on login/startup.

Another thing: right after I did the 11.4 to 12.1 upgrade from the DVD (but before I ran the zypper patches), my KDE desktop under 12.1 came up *just fine* -- I was even watching YouTube videos. But now after running the zypper patches, X won't start on startup, but will from startx, after doing su to root.

(For background: I would say my ability level is what I would call "lower medium level"; have been doing SuSE at home since back around 10.3.) Any help is appreciated, and thanks in advance! :-)

Blog Entries

Default Re: Ran zypper patches on 12.1 after upg from 11.4 (dvd), now x won't start on startup

Try creating a new user from a root login
    See if you can login with a new user
    Leap 15.1_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

Default Re: Ran zypper patches on 12.1 after upg from 11.4 (dvd), now x won'tstart on startup

On 2012-07-14 17:36, slcro wrote:
    >
    > Hello,
    >
    > After upgrading 11.4 to 12.1 with DVD

Have you done the recommendations described here?
    Offline upgrade method

> Another thing: right after I did the 11.4 to 12.1 upgrade from the DVD
    > (but before I ran the zypper patches), my KDE desktop under 12.1 came up
    > *just fine* -- I was even watching YouTube videos. But now after running
    > the zypper patches, X won't start on startup, but will from startx,
    > after doing su to root.

What is your exact current repo list? Do "zypper lr --details" and post the list here using
    code tags.

Posting in Code Tags - A Guide

--
    Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
    (from 11.4 x86_64 "Celadon" at Telcontar)

Default Re: Ran zypper patches on 12.1 after upg from 11.4 (dvd), now x won't start on startup

I saw I received also another reply below (thank you to both of you!). I will read up on the code tags (a bit of learning there). But I want to report that after first suggestion above, things are getting better! Setting up that other ID (my old one with a "2" after it) made things so that now not only will the new ID do a startx, but my old one will, too (with my desktop! - Whew!)! (Now I can reply to thread from 12.1! -- was using my Ubuntu on my other partition :-) )
    Now I am left with 4 little things to work on: (Not sure if it's proper form to list all these at once, but this is a work in progress, and I'm glad to apply continuing effort and work through the issues, just like at the shop, right? :-) )
    1) even after running the zypper patches mentioned previously, I am now getting told by the notifier in KDE that I still have 316 "updates" to run. (zypper lp now says "no updates found", but zypper list-updates lists LOTS of them.) (I currently have 7 repos, all saying 12.1, and no others.) Planning to run these eventually...
    2) I get 3 messages every time I start up the window system from startx, telling me that my Nepomuk indexing has been disabled
    3) It still would be nicer, instead of getting dumped off at the text login with the xset cannot open display error and then having to do startx, if I could get the initial graphical login working again like it did in all my previous versions (my knowledge is a bit rusty from my old class training here, but I think I may be ending up starting in run level 3 instead of 5 ??), and
    4) In fact, if I do Log out from KDE, x crashes and I have to do startx again...
    THANKS EVERYONE for their help so far!

Blog Entries

1. Try running: zypper up

2. I disable all that and the notifications for it

3. Once logged in to your normal account. Go to 'System Settings' > Desktop Effects and Disable them

Does the new login require the same startx fiddling?
    Leap 15.1_KDE

caf4926:
    1) Will run zypper up
    2) Disabled this; might still be trying to start; will see how it turns out; if doesn't try to start anymore and I'm left with only a message saying that it's not running, I'll just leave it
    3) Unchecked "Enable desktop effects at startup", "Improved window management", and "Various animations" on main Desktop Effects panel; no change
    4) Only difference between old and new ID (other than that they have their own desktops) is that original ID gives /usr/bin/xset cannot open display "" error after text login while new ID does not; other than that, they both behave the same (or at least appear to) after startx. Thanks again.

Blog Entries

So I would say, going by what you said:
    After upgrading 11.4 to 12.1 with DVD
    I'd like to know if you can possibly test a clean install in a separate partition? Because I wonder if we would see the same issues? Did 11.4 present problems for you?
    Leap 15.1_KDE

Hi again,
    11.4 had no such problems...and now neither does 12.1! After letting my machine churn for a while overnight on the 316 zypper up's, now the graphical startup works again! (Never in all the versions has it happened this way: run upgrade, working, then run zypper patches, and it's broke, then run a pile of zypper updates and it's working again. Something to add to that valuable collection called "experience".) Now I'm just down to the 3 or so Nepomuk messages, which I get even though I went into its panel and disabled it. I can look this one up, because I see that others have been shutting off all these messages too. Thanks much and have a good day! :-)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by slcro View Post
    Hi again,
    11.4 had no such problems...and now neither does 12.1! After letting my machine churn for a while overnight on the 316 zypper up's, now the graphical startup works again! (Never in all the versions has it happened this way: run upgrade, working, then run zypper patches, and it's broke, then run a pile of zypper updates and it's working again. Something to add to that valuable collection called "experience".) Now I'm just down to the 3 or so Nepomuk messages, which I get even though I went into its panel and disabled it. I can look this one up, because I see that others have been shutting off all these messages too. Thanks much and have a good day! :-)
    Great news
    Leap 15.1_KDE