Thread: Skype sound issue

Default Skype sound issue

For anyone who has struggled with audio issues using Skype 4.0.0.7

Using SUSE 12.1 on an Acer Extensa with Realtek ALC268 card.

I had terrible microphone input sound with Logitech C270 Webcam - though it worked fine with Skype on XP
    The problem was garbled sound/ excessive crackling to the point of not being able to hear my recorded voice on a test call.
    After experimenting with Audacity to check recording capability - I realised there was a relative simple fix.
    I used pavucontrol configuration tab to set my sound card from analog stereo duplex to analog stereo output.
    This completely solved any audio crackling/distortion in Skype
    I hope this helps anyone else who has similar issues.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Skype sound issue

Thanks for the feedback on the C270 (with the ALC268). I recently purchased and installed a C270 on my mother's PC (I blogged about it here): Logitech C270 webcam with openSUSE - Blogs - openSUSE Forums and I also tuned the webcam with pavucontrol (using technique I blogged about here: Pulseaudio Basics for openSUSE with pavucontrol - Blogs - openSUSE Forums ) . Her PC has an ALC888 (as opposed to ALC268) so I suspect there are some differences there. I can't recall what setting I put on her pavucontrol, although I do note fortunately she has not reported any cracking/distortion issues.

I have openSUSE-12.1 on her PC and I have found the latest v.4 Skype works well for her.