Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Can not find LIB6.SO anywhere - PLEASE HELP!

  1. #1

    Default Can not find LIB6.SO anywhere - PLEASE HELP!

    Hello,

    I've been trying to install SSMTP which for some reason doesnt exist under Zypper's repositories.
    I downloaded the RPM but it requires some dependencies which I cant seem to be able to find anywhere.





    I'm using openSuse 12.1.

    Can anyone please help?
    Thanks!

  2. #2

    Default Re: Can not find LIB6.SO anywhere - PLEASE HELP!

    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
    Hash: SHA1

    Use zypper instead; its job is to make your life easier.

    In the meantime, my 12.1 box has that in the following RPM:

    glibc-2.15-19.1.x86_64

    (and its 32-bit library is in the same thing as shown:
    glibc-32bit-2.15-19.1.x86_64)

    Good luck.
    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
    Version: GnuPG v2.0.18 (GNU/Linux)
    Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org/

    iQIcBAEBAgAGBQJP7hp3AAoJEF+XTK08PnB5ATwQALbQ3jgN5ObUTwHKt5sTUGOZ
    DmIRPfwYSS28oos+1JdmIcPOZMW5CpKUo1sHFoVc3rkKAW/Z2tVjxFRxAtHY13oh
    eoqBfrUBA7kpIfuMnWPtucv3YbMS+ybS17KvcuIObqMzlPhnSwfcxmUmeOCa8kSI
    WdpGTC1+0vwjaZ9R9FUdPB7MjpxoLDuYHEBCYggq2z5JP9gzdulSISNA3ellTSmR
    OSY50D1aNe7Fu3Nx9c0x6K6M/oCcDfVaVPTyouDsuJu+TcX8tMwVUWTTR8RHD4Re
    bRUP81MnQUtznMX+fnE4zYV2q8UHMMxCdQUSoMWYC7S+cKeBVQxOBs28SdI07wNx
    TDcnECYF2uUQg8ukwLhk67n4LHa8hH7oGc+KFRt3Yhpr8zZsMW/4w8x4Pq+4Aa9B
    YrKTbs9/JjwkfjNXmin4mW5HdO4Ogiaiuo7PsrHk5jsQNTZEJ9gtpB1IMXlbBgMb
    Dw0kW6ozj0m/QycKX6owOy+1+EfXCZ9nmqhwEY+L77j5yQrGIQBGbgUuQ6WEIkcS
    K+ekLmDdms3KdSmvJNIIW1IOaDU/LX9muX1MJJk/2JVtLqrRWOt5lxKNH5GjilHl
    /T/5lzYFufM2wb1smRs4XHKMv83pjyutYPrj8b0RqQ7fFRmfsdHouf4zVi8mkFUR
    MXFmA19gwea6u5MwN2wG
    =38a7
    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

  3. #3

    Default Re: Can not find LIB6.SO anywhere - PLEASE HELP!

    Quote Originally Posted by ab View Post
    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
    Hash: SHA1

    Use zypper instead; its job is to make your life easier.

    In the meantime, my 12.1 box has that in the following RPM:

    glibc-2.15-19.1.x86_64

    (and its 32-bit library is in the same thing as shown:
    glibc-32bit-2.15-19.1.x86_64)

    Good luck.

    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
    When I tried to look for that package through zypper I got this:


    It seems that one of the "glibc" packages is not installed.
    It also shows as a "srcpackage".
    Could this be my problem?
    If so, how do I install it?

    Edit: even after installing the source package I gtill get the same error...

    thanks!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Brazil
    Posts
    2,937

    Default Re: Can not find LIB6.SO anywhere - PLEASE HELP!

    In oS 11.4 64 bits libc.so.6 is just a simlink (in /lib64) to libc-2.11.3.so in the same directory.

    libc-2.11.3 is provided by package glibc.

    If you have libc-2.xx.x in /lib64 (or /lib if your system is 32 bits) try creating the simlink.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Brazil
    Posts
    2,937

    Default Re: Can not find LIB6.SO anywhere - PLEASE HELP!

    Note that the simlink should have been created by the install. It's possible there's something wrong either with the package, how you installed it or your system.

    Oh, and you usually don't need the source package, only if you want to compile the app (which I never needed to).

  6. #6

    Default Re: Can not find LIB6.SO anywhere - PLEASE HELP!

    Quote Originally Posted by 1xcalibur1 View Post
    Hello,

    I've been trying to install SSMTP which for some reason doesnt exist under Zypper's repositories.
    I downloaded the RPM but it requires some dependencies which I cant seem to be able to find anywhere.





    I'm using openSuse 12.1.

    Can anyone please help?
    Thanks!
    Since every working 64 bits system has "libc.so.6()(64bit)" in its RPM database... you don't have a 64 bits system. Don't try to install a 64 bits ssmtp.
    In fact, since I had to say that, I am guessing you don't even really need ssmtp to start with. You failed to "Describe the goal, not the step" (How To Ask Questions The Smart Way).

  7. #7

    Default Re: Can not find LIB6.SO anywhere - PLEASE HELP!

    Quote Originally Posted by RedDwarf View Post
    Since every working 64 bits system has "libc.so.6()(64bit)" in its RPM database... you don't have a 64 bits system. Don't try to install a 64 bits ssmtp.
    In fact, since I had to say that, I am guessing you don't even really need ssmtp to start with. You failed to "Describe the goal, not the step" (How To Ask Questions The Smart Way).
    I need to send emails through my gmail account.Yes, I've tried postfix but I cant seem to be able to configure it the right way. I also tried sendmail but have no idea how to generate sendmail.mc.
    SSMTP was a piece of cake on CENTOS but fortunately for me its unavailable for openSUSE...

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    4,654

    Default Re: Can not find LIB6.SO anywhere - PLEASE HELP!

    Am 29.06.2012 23:13, schrieb ab:
    > Use zypper instead; its job is to make your life easier.
    >

    To make that more explict instead of your "rpm -ivh ..." use
    Code:
    zypper install ssmtp-2.61-22.2.x86_64.rpm
    from within the same directory you called your rpm command, does that
    work? Of course it can fail if the glibc versions are different enough.

    Where did you get the rpm from? Link?
    If all fails fetch the src rpm and rebuild it with rpmbuild to match the
    glibc versions used by openSUSE.

    --
    PC: oS 12.1 x86_64 | i7-2600@3.40GHz | 16GB | KDE 4.8.4 | GeForce GT 420
    ThinkPad E320: oS 12.1 x86_64 | i3@2.30GHz | 8GB | KDE 4.8.4 | HD 3000
    eCAFE 800: oS 12.1 i586 | AMD Geode LX 800@500MHz | 512MB | KDE 3.5.10



  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    4,654

    Default Re: Can not find LIB6.SO anywhere - PLEASE HELP!

    Am 30.06.2012 14:52, schrieb Martin Helm:
    > Where did you get the rpm from? Link?
    > If all fails fetch the src rpm and rebuild it with rpmbuild to match the
    > glibc versions used by openSUSE.
    >

    I found hat this version of ssmtp refers to an OBS build for openSUSE
    11.0 (!), that easily explains why you cannot install it.

    http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3?stat...smtp&srodzaj=3

    --
    PC: oS 12.1 x86_64 | i7-2600@3.40GHz | 16GB | KDE 4.8.4 | GeForce GT 420
    ThinkPad E320: oS 12.1 x86_64 | i3@2.30GHz | 8GB | KDE 4.8.4 | HD 3000
    eCAFE 800: oS 12.1 i586 | AMD Geode LX 800@500MHz | 512MB | KDE 3.5.10



  10. #10

    Default Re: Can not find LIB6.SO anywhere - PLEASE HELP!

    Quote Originally Posted by 1xcalibur1 View Post
    I need to send emails through my gmail account.Yes, I've tried postfix but I cant seem to be able to configure it the right way. I also tried sendmail but have no idea how to generate sendmail.mc.
    SSMTP was a piece of cake on CENTOS but fortunately for me its unavailable for openSUSE...
    The first result for "ssmtp" in Google is https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/SSMTP. And the first line of that webpage says:
    Note: This program still works as of 11-14-2009 but note that SSMTP is no longer being developed. You might want to consider an alternative like MSMTP.
    MSMTP is available in the main repository.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •