Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Virtualization problem; Guest and host both 64-bit

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    550

    Default Virtualization problem; Guest and host both 64-bit

    I cannot get VMware to create a Windows 7 64-bit virtual environment in OpenSuse 12.1 (also a 64-bit system).

    I gives me the following error message:
    Software virtualization is incompatible with long mode on this platform. Disabling long mode. Without long mode support, the virtual machine will not be able to run 64 bit code. For more details see http://vmware.com/info?id=152.
    I try digging around vmware a bit and find the following bit of information:
    Ensure that your processor supports EM64T and VT.

    All Intel Xeon processors feature:
    Intel Virtualization Technology
    Intel Extended Memory 64 Technology
    Execute Disable Bit
    I have checked the specifications for my CPU "Intel Core 2 Duo E7400" and I think it does have VT ability, but on the off chance that it doesn't, what are my options?

    Also I tried using VirtualBox and it gives me the following error message:
    File: \windows\sytstem32\boot\winload.exe
    Status: 0xc000035a
    Info: Attempting to load a 64-bit appliation, however this CPU is not compatible with 64-bit mode.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    17,077

    Default Re: Virtualization problem; Guest and host both 64-bit

    On Wed, 20 Jun 2012 17:26:03 +0000, DJViking wrote:

    > I cannot get VMware to create a Windows 7 64-bit virtual environment in
    > OpenSuse 12.1 (also a 64-bit system).


    Can you post the output from:

    cat /etc/SuSE-release

    Thanks
    --
    Jim Henderson
    openSUSE Forums Administrator
    Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    550

    Default Re: Virtualization problem; Guest and host both 64-bit

    Quote Originally Posted by hendersj View Post
    On Wed, 20 Jun 2012 17:26:03 +0000, DJViking wrote:

    > I cannot get VMware to create a Windows 7 64-bit virtual environment in
    > OpenSuse 12.1 (also a 64-bit system).


    Can you post the output from:

    cat /etc/SuSE-release

    Thanks
    --
    Jim Henderson
    openSUSE Forums Administrator
    Forum Use Terms & Conditions at openSUSE Forums FAQ
    openSUSE 12.1 (x86_64)
    VERSION = 12.1
    CODENAME = Asparagus

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    17,077

    Default Re: Virtualization problem; Guest and host both 64-bit

    On Wed, 20 Jun 2012 17:46:03 +0000, DJViking wrote:

    > openSUSE 12.1 (x86_64) VERSION = 12.1 CODENAME = Asparagus


    Thanks - that makes it easier to tell that it's actually the 64-bit
    kernel that's installed.

    What are the package names/versions of VMware and VirtualBox that you've
    tried installing?

    Jim



    --
    Jim Henderson
    openSUSE Forums Administrator
    Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    550

    Default Re: Virtualization problem; Guest and host both 64-bit

    Quote Originally Posted by hendersj View Post
    On Wed, 20 Jun 2012 17:46:03 +0000, DJViking wrote:

    > openSUSE 12.1 (x86_64) VERSION = 12.1 CODENAME = Asparagus


    Thanks - that makes it easier to tell that it's actually the 64-bit
    kernel that's installed.

    What are the package names/versions of VMware and VirtualBox that you've
    tried installing?

    Jim



    --
    Jim Henderson
    openSUSE Forums Administrator
    Forum Use Terms & Conditions at openSUSE Forums FAQ
    Virtualbox: 4.1.4-3.2.3-x86_64 (from OpenSuse-12.1-Oss repo)
    VMware workstation: v8.0.3 x64 (not in OpenSuse repo)

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    17,077

    Default Re: Virtualization problem; Guest and host both 64-bit

    On Wed, 20 Jun 2012 19:46:03 +0000, DJViking wrote:

    > Virtualbox: 4.1.4-3.2.3-x86_64 (from OpenSuse-12.1-Oss repo)
    > VMware workstation: v8.0.3 x64 (not in OpenSuse repo)


    OK, also good packages to use - so no 32-bit anywhere in there.

    One thing I do recall from my Intel-based laptop (Core i7 here) is that
    there's a BIOS option to enable the VT functionality - you might check
    your BIOS and see (a) if there is such an option, and (b) if it's enabled
    in there if there is.

    Jim



    --
    Jim Henderson
    openSUSE Forums Administrator
    Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: Virtualization problem; Guest and host both 64-bit

    On 2012-06-20 19:26, DJViking wrote:

    > I have checked the specifications for my CPU "Intel Core 2 Duo E7400"
    > and I think it does have VT ability, but on the off chance that it
    > doesn't, what are my options?


    Usually you need to change a bios setting.

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 11.4 x86_64 "Celadon" at Telcontar)

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Austin - Texas
    Posts
    10,140
    Blog Entries
    48

    Default Re: Virtualization problem; Guest and host both 64-bit

    Quote Originally Posted by DJViking View Post
    Virtualbox: 4.1.4-3.2.3-x86_64 (from OpenSuse-12.1-Oss repo)
    VMware workstation: v8.0.3 x64 (not in OpenSuse repo)

    May I suggest you read the following article? http://forums.opensuse.org/content/5...umbleweed.html

    And, VirtualBox is now up to version 4.1.16 if downloaded from their site directly.

    Thank You,
    My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

    Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

    Its James again from Austin, Texas

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    17,077

    Default Re: Virtualization problem; Guest and host both 64-bit

    On Wed, 20 Jun 2012 22:46:04 +0000, jdmcdaniel3 wrote:

    > And, VirtualBox is now up to version 4.1.16 if downloaded from their
    > site directly.


    FWIW, I use the following repo myself:

    http://download.opensuse.org/reposit...rtualization:/
    VirtualBox_backports/openSUSE_12.1/

    Jim
    --
    Jim Henderson
    openSUSE Forums Administrator
    Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Austin - Texas
    Posts
    10,140
    Blog Entries
    48

    Default Re: Virtualization problem; Guest and host both 64-bit

    Quote Originally Posted by hendersj View Post
    On Wed, 20 Jun 2012 22:46:04 +0000, jdmcdaniel3 wrote:

    > And, VirtualBox is now up to version 4.1.16 if downloaded from their
    > site directly.


    FWIW, I use the following repo myself:

    Index of /repositories/Virtualization:
    VirtualBox_backports/openSUSE_12.1/

    Jim
    --
    Jim Henderson
    openSUSE Forums Administrator
    Forum Use Terms & Conditions at openSUSE Forums FAQ
    Most likely should be mentioned in the Article and I can put it in the forum opener.

    Thank You,
    My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

    Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

    Its James again from Austin, Texas

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •