Disabling tracker

I have noticed that tracker-store and tracker-miner-fs together take almost 60-70% of the CPU all the time leaving nothing for the other applications (openSUSE 12.1 64 bit, KDE 4.8.3. I have disabled nepomuk from auto starting, but haven’t been able to find yet how to disable these, so i have to just suspend/kill both these processes manually every time on login. Does anyone know how to disable them?

Tracker should not be taking that much cpu time. Well, I guess it depends on how much data you have under your home directory. I think you can configure tracker to restrict where it will look.

As far as I know, tracker is part of Gnome, so should not be there unless you installed more than just KDE.

I installed KDE, Gnome, XFCE and LXDE (because I like to experiment).

I have found that if I log into XFCE, go into settings, open the “Session and Startup” application, then I can find a tab that lists programs that are automatically started. I then uncheck the two entries that are related to tracker. Thereafter, tracker does not start when using XFCE, KDE or LXDE. It does still start when using Gnome.

If I look in “$HOME/.config/autostart”, I find two files:

tracker-miner-fs.desktop
tracker-store.desktop

The two files are identical. They contain 3 lines:

[Desktop Entry]
Hidden=true
OnlyShowIn=GNOME;KDE;XFCE;

I’m pretty sure that’s how XFCE stops tracker from running.

For a purely KDE based solution, this might work:
Go into “Personal Settings” → “Startup and Shutdown” → “Autostart”
and create an autostart entry for each of the tracker processes. Then uncheck the “enabled” box. That might stop tracker from starting in KDE and perhaps elsewhere. I remember experimenting with running “nm-applet” (the Gnome networkmanager applet) in KDE, and I created such an autostart entry. When I unchecked the “enabled” box, nm-applet stopped running in XFCE and LXDE, and I think it also stopped running in Gnome.

thank you!
yes, I also have all these - KDE, XFCE, LXDE, Gnome and QT Razor installed. I had the tracker disabled in LXDE already, and since Gnome isn’t working for now, i couldn’t check it. then on running tracker-preferences under KDE, Indexing Preferences open up… and i found that monitoring was again disabled there though some folders were still listed under the locations tab, and probably, it was tracking those despite the monitoring was switched off. So i removed those folders and added tracker-search, tracker-needle (this shows up as desktop search), tracker-stats and tracker-control in autostart and disabled them, and it seems it is working fine now.

p.s. i didn’t find anything in $HOME/.config/autostart