Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Operating system not loading, Cannot 'find Active Partition' error !

Default Re: Operating system not loading, Cannot 'find Active Partition' error !

Quote Originally Posted by flymail View Post
    Don't give up! You have just worked out the easiest solution of using the Windows recovery CD. For detailed instructions, see How to Fix Windows 7 When It Fails to Boot [NB/ the most important part for you will be the use of the DISKPART utility which will allow you to select the Windows C:/ as your active partition].
    That's correct. You just need to set the bootflag on sda1 in order to boot Windows. Please don't add any external disk now!

Quote Originally Posted by flymail View Post
    This will restore your Windows installation but will not allow you to boot into Linux. When this works, you can then come back to us and ask a Linux expert (and that's not me!) the best way to set up your dual boot if you still want one ... my advice would be to use GRUB Legacy because my experience of GRUB2 has been pretty horrendous, but the experts would probably think (rightly!) that this was mostly likely due to my own ignorance.
    Well ... after you set the bootflag back on sda1, make sure sda is connected to the first SATA port and sdb to the second SATA port. Then switch the disk order in the BIOS, so that sdb becomes the first boot drive and install Grub in MBR of this disk. That should do it. Re-install Grub2 from DVD Rescue This is the best option in this case. You can not keep this disk order and install Grub2 in the extended partition of your Windows disk (sda4), because :

you can not cross-disk block lists with Grub2. It means when Grub2 is NOT installed in MBR but in any partition boot sector, the non embedded core (the file /boot/grub2/i386-pc/core.img) has to be on the same disk*.

sda4 => sdb1 is not possible with Grub2. It would be possible with Legacy Grub, although still a bad idea.

* Actually this is the reason why your installation failed.

Lightbulb Re: Operating system not loading, Cannot 'find Active Partition' error !

After quite a few hurdles I brought my system back to life.

here is what I did:

- repaired MBR of sdb with windows recovery CD to start only windows 7. I needed 2 iterations to have it fully fixed.
    - restart into win7 launched the last bit of re-partition software I was using. restart again into normal bootable win7
    - reboot with opensuse live CD. I did not use the updategrub package, but directly the instructions for grub as described here
    Programming and Linux: Solution: Grub issues in opensuse with dual boot(XP, Vista, Win7)
    menu.lst was at (hd1,6)
    -reboot and grub was there, but oh no! opensuse only boots into recovery mode with:

Code:
    Bad magic number in super-block while trying to open /dev/sdb11
    /dev/sdb11:The superblock could not be read or does not describe a correct ext4filesystem. If the device is valid and it really contains an ext4 filesystem ( and not swap or ufs or something else), then the superblockis corrupt, and you might try running e2fsck with an alternate superblock:    e2fsck -b 8193 <device>
    - it turns out that the resizing of partitions (or windows startup recovery?) changed partition numbers. sdb11, 10 and 9 were swaped
    - edit of /etc/fstab to correct this

- reboot and back to normal.

Thank you please_try_again, flymail and robin_listas for your help and support!

Default Re: Operating system not loading, Cannot 'find Active Partition' error !

Just for completion, this is what findgrub outputs now:

Code:
    ~ # findgrubFind Grub Version 4.4.1 - Written for openSUSE Forums

- reading MBR on disk /dev/sda                       ... --> Grub2 (1.99) found in sda MBR     => sda1   0xc (Ubuntu)
     - searching partition /dev/sda1      (FAT32)         ...
     - reading bootsector  /dev/sda2      (Extended)      ...
     - searching partition /dev/sda5      (FAT32)         ...

- reading MBR on disk /dev/sdb                       ... --> Legacy GRUB  found in sdb MBR     => sdb7   0x83 (openSUSE)
     - searching partition /dev/sdb1   *  (NTFS)          ... --> Windows7/Vista Loader found in /dev/sdb1

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    You can add the following entry to /boot/grub/menu.lst :

###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: WindowsBootLoader###                                                         
    title Windows on /dev/sdb1                                                                                                                   
        rootnoverify (hd0,0)                                                                                                                     
        chainloader +1                                                                                                                           
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

- searching partition /dev/sdb2      (NTFS)          ... --> Windows7/Vista Loader found in /dev/sdb2

You can add the following entry to /boot/grub/menu.lst :

###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: WindowsBootLoader###                                                         
    title Windows on /dev/sdb2                                                                                                                   
        rootnoverify (hd0,1)                                                                                                                     
        chainloader +1                                                                                                                           

- searching partition /dev/sdb3      (NTFS)          ...
     - reading bootsector  /dev/sdb4   *  (Extended)      ...
     - searching partition /dev/sdb5      (FAT32)         ...
     - skipping partition  /dev/sdb6      (swap)         
     - reading bootsector  /dev/sdb7      (LINUX)         ...
     - reading bootsector  /dev/sdb8      (LINUX)         ...
     - reading bootsector  /dev/sdb9      (LINUX)         ...
     - reading bootsector  /dev/sdb10     (LINUX)         ...
     - searching partition /dev/sdb11     (NTFS)          ...
    If somebody knows how to delete the grub2 from sda, please let me know.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123