Thread: Grub Error 21

Default Grub Error 21

I do not know if I can ask this question here. It relates to a suse studio usb stick image not working for me.

I downloaded and installed the hard disk image onto usb stick using plain dd command first, then as per openSUSE:SUSE Studio Disc Image Howtos - openSUSE. I have also tried using suse image writer. But in all cases, when I boot off the pen drive, GrUB goes upto loading stage 1.5 and stops with error 21. Though plain dd method iself should work, I have carefully followed the documentation, without success.

What steps should I take to get grub load fully ?

Thanks in advance.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Grub Error 21

Quote Originally Posted by pbhat View Post
    I do not know if I can ask this question here. It relates to a suse studio usb stick image not working for me.

I downloaded and installed the hard disk image onto usb stick using plain dd command first, then as per openSUSE:SUSE Studio Disc Image Howtos - openSUSE. I have also tried using suse image writer. But in all cases, when I boot off the pen drive, GrUB goes upto loading stage 1.5 and stops with error 21. Though plain dd method iself should work, I have carefully followed the documentation, without success.

What steps should I take to get grub load fully ?

Thanks in advance.
    Grub error 21 definition says:

21 : Selected disk does not exist
    This error is returned if the device part of a device- or full file name refers to a disk or BIOS device that is not present or not recognized by the BIOS in the system.
    It makes me wonder if the disk image might be bad. Is this a bootable iso image you are trying to copy to a USB thumb drive? I have a bash script that can do this here:

S.C.L.U. - SuSE Create Live USB - Version 1.10 - Blogs - openSUSE Forums

Do consider if the iso is defective, it will not matter how you burn it to a disk.

Thank You,
    My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

Its James again from Austin, Texas

@jdmcdaniel3 : For the same appliance, I have also downloaded the iso which works fine when written onto the USB stick, irrespective of the method of writing, that is, plain dd, refined dd or image writer or sclu. Yes I have used SCLU now and on earlier occassions. I would have preferred the hard-disk image as that will not show up as two disks in Linux.
    I will look in the HD image. But I need to know how grub bootstraps from mbr to stage1 to stage 1.5 to stage 2. No documentation I have come across explains this. If you know any document, please point me to the link. Thanks

On 2012-05-30 10:26, pbhat wrote:
    >
    > ' '
    > (http://forums.opensuse.org/members/jdmcdaniel3.html)
    > '*@jdmcdaniel3*'
    > (http://forums.opensuse.org/members/jdmcdaniel3.html) : For the same
    > appliance,

Maybe you should be asking in the susestudio forum.

> I will look in the HD image. But I need to know how grub bootstraps
    > from mbr to stage1 to stage 1.5 to stage 2. No documentation I have come
    > across explains this. If you know any document, please point me to the
    > link. Thanks

Not even "info grub"?

--
    Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
    (from 11.4 x86_64 "Celadon" at Telcontar)

Quote Originally Posted by robin_listas View Post
    On 2012-05-30 10:26, pbhat wrote:

Not even "info grub"?

--
    Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
    (from 11.4 x86_64 "Celadon" at Telcontar)
    Bad habit. I looked up 'man', I googled, but missed what is in the backyard of my own machine !

Thanks for pointing out.