Publish Without Coding/Engineering??

Hi all! I know if any forum can answer this, opensuse guys can!! Here’s my situation: I’m very, very interested in publishing online blog/magazine.
I have no coding or software engineering skills. I have no interest or time in developing coding/engineering skills. I do know how to type. I do know how to write. So…without a need for fancy flash, blinking girls in skirts, etc. how do I do this so that I can simply concentrate on content??
Consider that once I select a format (say for example like Time magazine, Economist or whatever) the only things that will change are the date, volume number and such generic stuff. I have no need to test and implement a new ‘theme’ or ‘template’ every 60 - 90 days (which seems to be the norm out there??) I have looked at wordpress, drupal, openpublish, joomla and others but all require that the user learn to be an expert at mysql/apache/php, etc. etc. In all fairness, the closest to what I need seems to be provided by OpenPublish, but again, how to do it without learning 3-to-5 other major disciplines??? I really need something to replace just going to the store, buying some notebooks and hand writing what I have to say) Can it be done?? Thanks for comments, suggestions. Have A Healthy, Prosperous Day!
-----rob
P.S. Not interested in ‘hosting’ my content to some entity that can delete, sell, or discontinue my content either. Tall order, or I miss some things??

Not too many options to what you want / need to accomplish:

1. Pay some-one / ask a friend to do it for you.

2. Learn the minimum requirement for configuring your CMS - here I would suggest you try a ‘flat file CMS’ - this way you will avoid learning to configure the database backend.

3. Though you don’t like too much the idea - store your content in a free cloud - e.g. “google sites”?

Cheers.

PS
There are a lot of flat file cms’s around - I remember ‘razor cms’ being one of them.
Another option would be installer-based, like ‘plone cms’

On 05/31/2012 03:56 AM, robhwill wrote:
> Can it be done??

of course, use a hosting company with built in authoring tools…

> P.S. Not interested in ‘hosting’ my content to some entity that can
> delete, sell, or discontinue my content either.

OH!! well, i’ve had the same host for ten or fifteen years and they have
never deleted so much as one comma!

but, if you don’t want to host it out, you can hire a geek to do all the
geeky learning stuff…you do all the writing stuff and hand it to the
geek to put it in the right format etc and done!!

and, the hosting solution is often cheaper than buying the electricity,
ISP charges and replacing machines to keep your home (or office) machine
on the net 24x7…

dd

Though I have not used it myself, I know people who regularly use Wordpress who have no computing expertise - perhaps they got help to set it up but they don’t need any help to use it on a regular basis.

wordpress is even installable from the repositories - I do not know what the post-install work is required afterwards but it’s worth a try. :slight_smile:

Plenty of options. Someone needs to setup the CMS framework/website first and possibly install/configure the appropriate module, after that any User only has to login and based on credentals permissions should automatically allow you to type into a WYSIWYG text editor. Save what you’ve typed directly into the website and you’re done!

I personally prefer Dotnetnuke which runs only on Windows but I’ve also played around with several similar solutions on openSUSE and would rrecommend the following:

OCPortal
PHProjekt
Drupal

HTH,
TS

Hi,

The most simple answer is blogspot.com or Blogger, now owned by google.
It’s free, it solves the hosting problem and it is ready to go, no need to know anything simply write and make content.

In case you have problems with Google content policy try to use the blogger /blogspot site in Germany, Sweden or Iceland if that is the case. Oh and: this is free to use by the way.

Other then that a Ton of Web-Hosting providers with locations all over the world will have a complete solution for you already installed or easily installable with Wordpress, Drupal, Joomla or whatever you require.
You specifically mention that some of these solutions are complex.
Quite frankly I do not think using and even installing Wordpress is complex. and more importantly: Customizing Wordpress to fit your needs (say 95% of what you can possibly want) On the contrary, it is very very easy.
You will very quickly be able to setup a theme, there are also thousands of themes and plugis for Wordpress on the net.
But the main thing is that you gain time to learn more and customized your site to fit your needs and personal taste on the graphics and layout.

Wordpress would put you quickly up and running with a tremendous amount of features and functionalities that it carries and many more that you can very easily install if you so wish to.
Also almost All web-hosting packages out there provide wordpress capability pre-installed.
Try to find the best one from the major sites like webhostingtalk.com

Regards.

Besides blogspot, if you have a Google account you can also create your own free website (standard Google app).
Your URL would then be http:/sites.google.com/<your_sitename> You can also map a domain name alias to that location.

Everything I stated earlier applies also, you simply type into a WYSIWYG text editor and save, no special tools needed to create and modify your website.

TS

Thx, all for suggestions. Again, outsourcing/hosting content at somewhere is not an option. Wordpress, I’ve tried it and user must know how to administer mysql, apache, (some CSS/HTML) etc. I’m trying not to spend time learning that stuff. Trying to write with what I already know (English/pen/paper/install & use software) Don’t wish to learn to develop/code software. Trying gpEasy -----flat file cms, no mysql) as we speak, got install file, unzipped to /srv/www/INSTALL FOLDER and gpEasy instructions for install say to browser (firefox) to INSTALL FOLDER and install/config file will load, but I guess my “php” is not running or something; I do have it installed, but rpm -qa | grep php only returns php modules files, no compiler, executable or ?? Also, # find / -name php merely returns same. What’s next??? Does this look like I will have to wait a few years and find an old fashioned brick-and-mortar publisher to take hand written notebooks (my content) and do offset lithography and print or what? take care. -----rob

On 06/02/2012 07:56 AM, robhwill wrote:
> Does this
> look like I will have to wait a few years and find an old fashioned
> brick-and-mortar publisher to take hand written notebooks (my content)
> and do offset lithography and print

you don’t have to wait, you can do that today.

> or what

you have received several very good suggestions which do not require a
lot of effort, but

hosting = no/low knowledge and effort required
no hosting = high effort and steep learning curve

you can NOT have user without “know how to administer mysql, apache,
(some CSS/HTML) etc.” AND “outsourcing/hosting content at
somewhere is not an option” AND unwilling to hire a geek to do what
you refuse to learn/do, ALL at the same time…

you must choose from rational choices–so far you have not allowed
yourself to do that.

dd