Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: rpm information generic source?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Prescott, AZ
    Posts
    1,172

    Default rpm information generic source?

    I'm not sure this question belongs in the Apps forum.... I've been looking for a source of pertinent information on rpm's in general. Right now, I need to know if the stock OpenSuSE12.1x64 NetCDF was compiled with both gFortran and OpenMPI support. Is there a generic online source of such information? This sort of thing usually is not carried in the YaST database and I haven't found it anywhere else (like pbone).

    THANK YOU!!!
    patti

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    26,524
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: rpm information generic source?

    Quote Originally Posted by PattiMichelle
    I'm not sure this question belongs in the Apps forum.... I've been
    looking for a source of pertinent information on rpm's in general.
    Right now, I need to know if the stock OpenSuSE12.1x64 NetCDF was
    compiled with both gFortran and OpenMPI support. Is there a generic
    online source of such information? This sort of thing usually is not
    carried in the YaST database and I haven't found it anywhere else (like
    pbone).

    THANK YOU!!!
    patti

    Hi
    All on the Open Build Service, if you go to software search;
    http://software.opensuse.org/search?
    Enter netcdf then clicking on the name and release will take you to the
    Open Build Service package and you can inspect the spec file and other
    details as well as the build log.....
    https://build.opensuse.org/package/v...3fd17c631eec6e

    --
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
    openSUSE 12.1 (x86_64) Kernel 3.1.10-1.9-desktop
    up 1 day 23:29, 3 users, load average: 5.01, 2.02, 1.17
    CPU Intel i5 CPU M520@2.40GHz | Intel Arrandale GPU


  3. #3

    Default Re: rpm information generic source?

    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
    Hash: SHA1

    I've seen some applications that let you find out at runtime what
    compile options were there from the start, but I think that's
    application-specific. I would start, since this is RPM-based, by
    checking the Source RPM file and viewing the SPEC file contained within.
    For example, I pulled netcdf from the OpenSUSE Build Service and found
    this line in the SPEC file:

    export CC=gcc CXX=g++ FC=gfortran \
    CFLAGS="%{optflags}" CXXFLAGS="%{optflags}" FCFLAGS="%{optflags}"

    That makes me think it is compiled with gfortran support, and I see
    references to MPI in the file in the changelog (query from an installed
    package with `rpm -q --changelog packageNameHere`) so I assume that's
    just there.

    Good luck.
    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
    Version: GnuPG v2.0.18 (GNU/Linux)
    Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org/

    iQIcBAEBAgAGBQJPxVJpAAoJEF+XTK08PnB5JM0QAMbSH6vj+g+kKBFCzsXSuzDx
    DjYKTH/ZjJE0KQkhn6ygSs5JTPeZJmXpFXjsaRI3dLn42gycayDWUiUVGYFGsbYu
    kd+Y2MjAoem7P9djemCAbyAVXRbOC08LLQqTNE0GH680AMpdFwUYgxnE9SwNd35V
    09fGEUt5aGgFHzG0JFbiMb42+F54HVBHYn/S0+TpyU1rUVv7O+0BjKdNFAbYW9z5
    4sYfr0qkjYiczSnUH1syppjuHCU5Z5/VunaUb0c9HHGRVpEOKTzmaM9p1w7uvWsC
    Fg+QbYhCt2QndIL2Qcam1pqIIoOeiJnbD13tmZ83b82725kKqvmGt+kZ2lW+u5OO
    s1qu0TMHq7k+VyoAsKiXATUNy8bv7IaGVCe2kNDKHPJkht0qH8y+eIoam3MBGg6R
    6KNWvGBPG8ZC14VN0J2vpqZNyN513C1H1YmXEri1J28IdQpoQW9YRf02I29jzf8a
    KW49v2w5qve/Q+U7T57f9bWcla6m1Y0IQvGS/HI0s1PKjtjM/NbHsFjblZE5MNOZ
    KWocFD263UnBGrxAArEB45xs0oovTKrqW26ZmL7M5DG+9gpw6wyaIB1VfQHojcsO
    z/PsflwSeOp1IaqlPtSuCmSPbsyTmV2YxjrMh4GAAca/blX395Vi5j6ugaezUoQd
    JGpn5egdyRiDZ+KQ0KX5
    =EWTE
    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Prescott, AZ
    Posts
    1,172

    Default Re: rpm information generic source?

    WOW!!!! Thanks everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Prescott, AZ
    Posts
    1,172

    Default Re: rpm information generic source?

    Hi Malcom - I tried doing this with HDF5 (I need it to be built to support MPI/parallel) - but couldn't find a link to take me to the spec file:
    software.opensuse.org:
    ...there must be some place to click I'm forgetting because I remember figuring it out before. These "slick" interfaces tend to be nonintuitive unless you work with them all the time... How do I view a spec file again?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    26,524
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: rpm information generic source?

    Quote Originally Posted by PattiMichelle
    Hi Malcom - I tried doing this with HDF5 (I need it to be built to
    support MPI/parallel) - but couldn't find a link to take me to the spec
    file:
    'software.opensuse.org:' (http://software.opensuse.org/package/hdf5)
    ...there must be some place to click I'm forgetting because I remember
    figuring it out before. These "slick" interfaces tend to be
    nonintuitive unless you work with them all the time... How do I view a
    spec file again?

    Hi
    Click the 'unstable link' your best to pick the devel project for the
    package (which I happen to know is the devel libraries...)
    https://build.opensuse.org/package/v...a843157d33d06b

    Or you can just go direct to https://build.opensuse.org/project/s...SUSE%3AFactory find
    the package an work back.

    --
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
    openSUSE 12.1 (x86_64) Kernel 3.1.10-1.9-desktop
    up 12:51, 3 users, load average: 0.28, 0.09, 0.06
    CPU Intel i5 CPU M520@2.40GHz | Intel Arrandale GPU


  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Prescott, AZ
    Posts
    1,172

    Default Re: rpm information generic source?

    Well, I get as far as: openSUSE Build Service > Projects > devel:libraries:c_c++ > Packages > hdf5

    but can't find the link to the next step: openSUSE Build Service > Projects > devel:libraries:c_c++ > Packages > hdf5 > files

    or to: openSUSE Build Service > Projects > devel:libraries:c_c++ > Packages > hdf5 > files > hdf5.spec

    I guess being color-blind, I can't see the links?

    Oh, wait a second - I can get to openSUSE Build Service > Projects > devel:libraries:c_c++ > Packages > hdf5 > Sources
    ...and that seems to have the spec file in it. I would have never thought to look in "unstable" for a stock 12.1 package.

    So - I do see mention of "parallel" in the spec file in a couple of places in the .spec file - does that mean it's compiled with parallel support? (so I can use parallel-NetCDF)

    Could it be? The netCDF.spec file says "parallel" - could it be the default OpenSuSE NetCFD is, in fact, a version of parallel-netcdf? If so, where is the pnetcdf.h file?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    26,524
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: rpm information generic source?

    Quote Originally Posted by PattiMichelle
    Well, I get as far as: openSUSE Build Service > Projects >
    devel:libraries:c_c++ > Packages > hdf5

    but can't find the link to the next step: openSUSE Build Service >
    Projects > devel:libraries:c_c++ > Packages > hdf5 > files

    or to: openSUSE Build Service > Projects > devel:libraries:c_c++ >
    Packages > hdf5 > files > hdf5.spec

    I guess being color-blind, I can't see the links?

    Oh, wait a second - I can get to openSUSE Build Service > Projects >
    devel:libraries:c_c++ > Packages > hdf5 > Sources
    ...and that seems to have the spec file in it. I would have never
    thought to look in "unstable" for a stock 12.1 package.

    So - I do see mention of "parallel" in the spec file in a couple of
    places in the .spec file - does that mean it's compiled with parallel
    support? (so I can use parallel-NetCDF)

    Hi
    I would assume so, you would need to look at the source tarball readme
    or other documentation to see the compile time options. Or else on the
    OBS page fire an email off to the package maintainer to ask....

    --
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
    openSUSE 12.1 (x86_64) Kernel 3.1.10-1.9-desktop
    up 1 day 1:45, 3 users, load average: 0.00, 0.01, 0.05
    CPU Intel i5 CPU M520@2.40GHz | Intel Arrandale GPU


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •