Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Assemble RAID with Yast

  1. #1

    Question Assemble RAID with Yast

    Hello,

    I was doing some tests in openSUSE about RAID in Vmware Workstation 8 and I've realized that If you want to assemble a RAID from pre-existing components with yast you can't do it in one step because partitioner isn't able to detect what kind of file system the partitions have, so you have to open partitioner a second time, then the file systems are properly detected.

    Is this some kind of bug??

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Austin - Texas
    Posts
    10,140
    Blog Entries
    48

    Default Re: Assemble RAID with Yast

    Quote Originally Posted by Bezoutsidentity View Post
    Hello,

    I was doing some tests in openSUSE about RAID in Vmware Workstation 8 and I've realized that If you want to assemble a RAID from pre-existing components with yast you can't do it in one step because partitioner isn't able to detect what kind of file system the partitions have, so you have to open partitioner a second time, then the file systems are properly detected.

    Is this some kind of bug??
    Sounds to me like a bug and worth a bug report. Since RAID setups are so specific and hard to test without having one, it is hard to provide good help with RAID setup problems. But, or more than one occasion, a person with a RAID setup has reported the drive detected, but the file system was not. Few would suggest running the Partitioner again or why that would make any difference. So, I would make a bug report and even test this out with a LiveCD of openSUSE 12.2 when a more recent version comes out. And thank you in advance for your assistance in this matter.

    Thank You,
    My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

    Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

    Its James again from Austin, Texas

  3. #3

    Default Re: Assemble RAID with Yast

    jdmcdaniel3 wrote:
    > Bezoutsidentity;2464096 Wrote:
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> I was doing some tests in openSUSE about RAID in Vmware Workstation 8
    >> and I've realized that If you want to assemble a RAID from pre-existing
    >> components with yast you can't do it in one step because partitioner
    >> isn't able to detect what kind of file system the partitions have, so
    >> you have to open partitioner a second time, then the file systems are
    >> properly detected.
    >>
    >> Is this some kind of bug??

    >
    > Sounds to me like a bug and worth a bug report. Since RAID setups are
    > so specific and hard to test without having one, it is hard to provide
    > good help with RAID setup problems. But, or more than one occasion, a
    > person with a RAID setup has reported the drive detected, but the file
    > system was not. Few would suggest running the Partitioner again or why
    > that would make any difference. So, I would make a bug report and even
    > test this out with a LiveCD of openSUSE 12.2 when a more recent version
    > comes out. And thank you in advance for your assistance in this matter.


    It's not a bug IMHO.

    When you change things with the partitioner, you need to press the
    "Rescan Devices" button at the bottom of the screen if you want to see
    the effects. That's what it's there for. Perhaps it's not as obvious as
    it might be. But it does give you control over what the partitioner is
    doing, rather than assuming that you want it to rescan everything every
    time you make a change.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Assemble RAID with Yast

    Thanks for your answers but If you create a RAID and press "Rescan Devices" it will tell you: "Rescanning disks cancels all current changes", so you have to apply the changes ( this forces you to leave partitioner) .

    Has this behavior changed in 12.2??

  5. #5

    Default Re: Assemble RAID with Yast

    Bezoutsidentity wrote:
    > Thanks for your answers but If you create a RAID and press "Rescan
    > Devices" it will tell you: "Rescanning disks cancels all current
    > changes", so you have to apply the changes ( this forces you to leave
    > -partitioner-) .


    Ah sorry, I misremembered the sequence. And haven't got a system to use
    for a test now. I still don't think it's a bug, unless there's some
    documentation somewhere that says it should behave as you think it
    should. It could be a feature request though.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Austin - Texas
    Posts
    10,140
    Blog Entries
    48

    Default Re: Assemble RAID with Yast

    Quote Originally Posted by djh-novell View Post
    Bezoutsidentity wrote:
    > Thanks for your answers but If you create a RAID and press "Rescan
    > Devices" it will tell you: "Rescanning disks cancels all current
    > changes", so you have to apply the changes ( this forces you to leave
    > -partitioner-) .


    Ah sorry, I misremembered the sequence. And haven't got a system to use
    for a test now. I still don't think it's a bug, unless there's some
    documentation somewhere that says it should behave as you think it
    should. It could be a feature request though.
    Well, like many things, perhaps the developers have not shared something we need to know about the Partitioner. I suggest you file a bug report and either get them to accept the problem or state why its not a bug, perhaps changing its instructions or something else useful to know. Bug reports cost nothing and anyone that makes an honest attempt to post a bug report is not chastised for their effort.

    Bug Reporting:

    openSUSE 11.4: https://bugzilla.novell.com/enter_bu...&format=guided
    openSUSE 12.1: https://bugzilla.novell.com/enter_bu...&format=guided
    openSUSE 12.2: https://bugzilla.novell.com/enter_bu...&format=guided

    Thank You,
    My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

    Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

    Its James again from Austin, Texas

  7. #7

    Default Re: Assemble RAID with Yast

    Thank you, I've already done it.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Austin - Texas
    Posts
    10,140
    Blog Entries
    48

    Default Re: Assemble RAID with Yast

    Quote Originally Posted by Bezoutsidentity View Post
    Thank you, I've already done it.
    Can you post a link to your bug report? I feel that finding an exact bug report depends on a knowing how it was filed while just having a link does not require you search for anything. It also allows anyone that reads this message a direct link to add their comments, if any. I often have trouble finding my own bug reports though it could just be because I don't know what I am doing, but that is a subject for a different thread.

    Thank You,
    My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

    Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

    Its James again from Austin, Texas

  9. #9

    Default Re: Assemble RAID with Yast

    Hi jdmcdaniel3,

    Here it is:

    https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=763687

    Regards.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •