Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do I install Autokey?

Default How do I install Autokey?

Under Windows i use AutoHotKey, which enables me to make a lot of simple shortcut key as well as remap some (like capslock for ctrl+c), and which helps increase speed in my work, esp. with my stiff fingers that do not respond as they should to the "central command" (my brain), and it appears that the closest thing to that for Linux is called "autokey" (autokey - Desktop automation utility for Linux and X11 - Google Project Hosting), which is for Ubuntu, though it is also conformable to other distros. There is also an app for Linux called see IronAHK but it does not seem as easy to use, and while i have made some custom kbrd shortcuts under KDE shortcuts and gestures>standard kbrd shortcuts>alternate, they do not always work globally or at all, and are limited.

However, as a (learning) Linux novice i do not know how to install autokey. I dwnldd and extracted the autokey-0.90.4.tar.gz file into its own folder in /home/user/Documents/autokey/, and while it has an instruction page (InstallingAutoKey - autokey - This is the Installation manual for installing from source code or repository. - Desktop automation utility for Linux and X11 - Google Project Hosting) it is not clear to me on how to install this under openSuse 12.1 (is this Debian or ???) If a repo could be added that would allow an install by the gui fashion i would like to try that.

Thanks for your patience and help.
    Behind programing are ideals.

Blog Entries

Default Re: How do I install Autokey?

Quote Originally Posted by Acts1036
    Under Windows i use AutoHotKey, which enables me to make a lot of simple
    shortcut key as well as remap some (like capslock for ctrl+c), and which
    helps increase speed in my work, esp. with my stiff fingers that do not
    respond as they should to the "central command" (my brain), and it
    appears that the closest thing to that for Linux is called "autokey"
    ('autokey - Desktop automation utility for Linux and X11 - Google
    Project Hosting' (http://code.google.com/p/autokey)), which is for
    Ubuntu, though it is also conformable to other distros. There is also an
    app for Linux called see IronAHK but it does not seem as easy to use,
    and while i have made some custom kbrd shortcuts under KDE shortcuts and
    gestures>standard kbrd shortcuts>alternate, they do not always work
    globally or at all, and are limited.

However, as a (learning) Linux novice i do not know how to install
    autokey. I dwnldd and extracted the autokey-0.90.4.tar.gz file into its
    own folder in /home/user/Documents/autokey/, and while it has an
    instruction page ('InstallingAutoKey - autokey - This is the
    Installation manual for installing from source code or repository. -
    Desktop automation utility for Linux and X11 - Google Project Hosting'
    (http://code.google.com/p/autokey/wiki/InstallingAutoKey)) it is not
    clear to me on how to install this under openSuse 12.1 (is this Debian
    or ???) If a repo could be added that would allow an install by the gui
    fashion i would like to try that.

Thanks for your patience and help.

Hi
    It's available;
    http://software.opensuse.org/package/autokey

--
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
    openSUSE 12.1 (x86_64) Kernel 3.1.10-1.9-desktop
    up 19:56, 3 users, load average: 0.29, 0.10, 0.07
    CPU Intel i5 CPU M520@2.40GHz | Intel Arrandale GPU

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Hi
    It's available;
    software.opensuse.org:

--
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
    openSUSE 12.1 (x86_64) Kernel 3.1.10-1.9-desktop
    up 19:56, 3 users, load average: 0.29, 0.10, 0.07
    CPU Intel i5 CPU M520@2.40GHz | Intel Arrandale GPU

Thanks so much. That is neat. I was looking using the Apper or Yast software manager. I installed it for 12.1, but do not see it anywhere in the Application launcher ("Start menu)

A possible related issue is that i installed two more repos in installing autokey, and later i saw that i has about 160 updates waiting (this install is only a few days old), and after i installed them and rebooted, then Firefox (now 12.0) will not show any installed add ons or themes that i reinstall, even though they are listed as working for Linux 12.0 FF, and go thru the installation and i restart, and it will not even show the default theme under Appearance. An my old profile is the only one shown. Not sure if autokey is related.

Never keep a foreign repository active there may be package there that conflict with the installed version of the os. As you have now found out.

I believe disabling the foreign repos and doing

zypper ref
    zypper dup

should bring things back.

And do not use Apper. At best even deinstall it.
    Henk van Velden

Blog Entries

Also: accept that linux is not windows. For example: letting an install run again is absolutely useless, it will do exactly the same, and there's a proper technical explanation for it.

A 160 updates available? Why not? openSUSE 12.1 was released months ago, first updates are out even before release date. The longer after release date you perform the release install, the more updates there will be. A thing that may very well be the case, is that you have to reinstall the graphics driver for you video card. That's a different story, than mentioned above, since the driver install creates a new kernel module, based on your updated kernel.
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Board#Members
    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    Never keep a foreign repository active there may be package there that conflict with the installed version of the os. As you have now found out.

I believe disabling the foreign repos and doing

zypper ref
    zypper dup

should bring things back.
    I deleted what i saw was a foreiegn, non-oss repo and ran the 2 cores you gve (amazing what a couple words effects), but FF is stil as before. So useful to me is Firefox and LibreOffice that i If a Linux could not run them then i would not use it much at all. I usually have around 60+ tabs open that i often go back to (and lots of organized bookmarks as well), and like to have the tabs visible, and with TabMixPlus i can show multiple rows (nothing does so in Sea Monkey or Chrome) and reduce the width so as to fit about 18 across, while Session Manager stores multiple sessions, with Colorful Tabs helping to differentate, and Xmarks (also no go) syncing (though there are alernatives to that), with other extns also helping. Just TabMixPlus and GoogleBarLite work in FF after the update, but maybe more will work later. I was able to find a (Noia) theme that installed but without its options.

As for autokey, i did a file seaarch from / and it is nowhere to be found except in the folder i unzipped it to.

I looked for IronAHK in the openSuse software but did not find it. Nothing crtical in any of the above, buti am trying to duplicate and maintain all the functionality i hav under Windows.

Thanks again for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by Knurpht View Post
    Also: accept that linux is not windows. For example: letting an install run again is absolutely useless, it will do exactly the same, and there's a proper technical explanation for it.

A 160 updates available? Why not? openSUSE 12.1 was released months ago, first updates are out even before release date. The longer after release date you perform the release install, the more updates there will be. A thing that may very well be the case, is that you have to reinstall the graphics driver for you video card. That's a different story, than mentioned above, since the driver install creates a new kernel module, based on your updated kernel.
    Understood. i was only qustioning if the new repo had anything to do with that.

Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    And do not use Apper. At best even deinstall it.
    Interesting. I did not think it was the best, and usually use the Yast software mngr.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast