Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: New builds in Mozilla repo?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    1,376

    Default New builds in Mozilla repo?

    What's going on with the Mozilla repository? I haven't seen any updates for Firefox there in a while, but I'm getting notices of new builds in the updates (12.0-18.1 in updates vs 12.0-2.1 in Mozilla). The Mozilla repo has always had the latest stable build in the past.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Posts
    58

    Default Re: New builds in Mozilla repo?

    Well could do it manually but if you are running a 64 bit OS I do recommend chrome cause Adobe has announced they are stopping support for Linux 64 Bit but on the upside google has said they will continue to develop 64 bit flash for there linux browser.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    49

    Default Re: New builds in Mozilla repo?

    DMGrier, you are wrong. This is for 64bit and 32bit linux, see Adobe and Google Partnering for Flash Player on Linux
    But... what does your statement have to do with the state of the mozilla repo anyway?
    What do you mean with "Well could do it manually"???

    So to the question of chief_sealth first:
    The "update" you see in the update-repo is the same version as in the mozilla-repo: 12.0. The numbers that comes after that are just build-numbers and can be ignored by users. Higher build-numbers do not mean that they include any kind of new feature or security fix. So both repos are up to date and just fine.

    Now to DMG
    I need to mark your statement in general as not conformal with official openSUSE policy. It can´t be, because chrome is closed source partly. You should at least recommend chromium as the open source part of chrome. But flash won´t come with chromium, only chrome.... so flash may be a problem in a year or so, when you want to play a browser-game or so that needs flash 11.3. Otherwise you could just stay with flash 11.2 and firefox for at least 5 years, as adobe will ship security updates for this period: "Adobe will continue to provide security updates to non-Pepper distributions of Flash Player 11.2 on Linux for five years from its release." [source: link above]

  4. #4
    dd@home.dk NNTP User

    Default Re: New builds in Mozilla repo?

    On 05/18/2012 09:16 AM, tomtomme wrote:
    > I need to mark your statement in general as not conformal with official
    > openSUSE policy. It can´t be, because chrome is closed source partly.
    > You should at least recommend chromium as the open source part of
    > chrome.


    unless i misunderstand, DMGrier is "just another user" here freely
    donating time in trying to be helpful to other "just another users"..

    and, as such he (or she, as the case may be) can recommend any browser
    they please, including Internet Exploder (in WINE or in XP, etc)

    that is to say: as far as i know there is no openSUSE Community Policy
    saying that all users must only recommend open source software in all
    cases...

    --
    dd

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    49

    Default Re: New builds in Mozilla repo?

    Quote Originally Posted by dd@home.dk View Post
    unless i misunderstand, DMGrier is "just another user" here freely
    donating time in trying to be helpful to other "just another users"..
    you are right, and I appreciate that. But he should try to answer the users question harder... I don´t know how to say this more politely...

    Quote Originally Posted by dd@home.dk View Post
    and, as such he (or she, as the case may be) can recommend any browser
    they please, including Internet Exploder (in WINE or in XP, etc)
    Yes he can. And I can mark this recommendation as not open-source friendly. Maybe he/she did not know, that chrome is not open-source...

    Quote Originally Posted by dd@home.dk View Post
    that is to say: as far as i know there is no openSUSE Community Policy saying that all users must only recommend open source software in all cases...
    Sorry, I should not have spoken of an official policy, which I do not exactly know of or if it exists at all. But I also did not say that it is forbidden to recommend open source software (I also use flash, catalyst etc.). I only wanted to emphasize it . I hope that is the right word. My english is far from perfect. I don´t want to offend him/her/anyone.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •