Keyboard shortcut - select from cursor to end of document

I’ve just migrated from Kubuntu Precise Pangolin to openSUSE 12.1, and I must say I am impressed. I like the nouveau driver for my nvidia GeForce 6150SE nforce 430. I experimented with the proprietary drivers, then hosed my system, but now after a clean install, I am back with the nouveau, which initially would cause an occasional system lockup (maybe), but now all is fine. Perhaps some update fixed this?

Ah, but I really wanted to ask what must be a very minor question: When using the keyboard to select from the cursor point to the end of the document, I use Shift Ctrl End. The thing is, I’m used to using the right Ctrl key. If I use that Ctrl key, nothing happens. Right now, I guess I just need to retrain myself to use the left Ctrl key. Is there any reason that key combination won’t work with the right Ctrl key in openSUSE? I’ve tried this in LibreOffice Writer, kwrite and kate. It never works with the right Ctrl key, only with the left. In the System Settings (sorry, “Configure Desktop”), I can’t find that particular shortcut, and the Ctrl key in any of the shortcuts is not specified as to left or right.

I apologize for such a minor question.

~George a/k/a MoeNeigh

> Is there
> any reason that key combination won’t work with the right Ctrl key in
> openSUSE?

welcome!

with some keyboard maps the right control key is actually a “Alt Gr”
key…which (on my keyboard, for example) switches the 3 to a £ (British
Pound sign) and the 4 to a $ (dollar sign)…

which is to say it is not exactly like the control key (on the left)…

if you are not needing the Alt Gr key you might select a different
keyboard layout…

in KDE (you didn’t say, and should almost always) Configure Desktop -
Personal Settings > Hardware > Input Devices > Keyboard > Layouts…

or, maybe if you select the Hardware tab in the keyboard settings, you
can then scroll through the Keyboard Model and find your exact keyboard,
and . . .

dd

with some keyboard maps the right control key is actually a “Alt Gr”
key…which (on my keyboard, for example) switches the 3 to a £ (British
Pound sign) and the 4 to a $ (dollar sign)…

Thanks, dd, this might be the answer. I’ve created two customized keyboards that have a 3rd and 4th level, although I use Right ALT and Right ALT Shift to access those levels. I will check my keyboard settings again under Input Devices to see how the right Ctrl key figures into my layouts.

~George