Thread: Screen Recording software with microphone support

Question Screen Recording software with microphone support

I have looked everywhere i cannot find screen recording software for opensuse 12.1 which records the screen and the computer audio and the microphone if anyone could find me software which does all them 3 things i would be extremely grateful

Blog Entries

Default Re: Screen Recording software with microphone support

This is doable with ffmpeg. I have guidance on how to simply capture the screen with audio from either a mic, or internal computer (but not both) here: Capturing video of one's desktop - Blogs - openSUSE Forums

Command something like:
    Code:
    ffmpeg -f pulse -i default -f x11grab -r 25 -s 1920x1200 -i :0.0 -acodec pcm_s16le -vcodec libx264 -pix_fmt yuv422p -threads 0 output.avi
    and I note audio and video was out of sync, so I resynchronized them with:
    Code:
    ffmpeg -i output.avi -itsoffset 0.1 -i output.avi -map 1:0 -map 0:1 -vcodec libx264 -pix_fmt yuv422p -ar 22050 outfixed.avi
    Note that still does not capture both audio sources at the same time.

On my PC, for example if you look in the application 'pavucontrol' under the 'input devices' tab you will see my two mics, and also the internal audio in the PC. There are options that can be selected.

[click on above image for a larger view]

and also in the recording tab you can see the possibility to select one of my 3 inputs:

[click on above image for a larger view]

Now that is still not sufficient as it does not capture both audio sources at the same time. One needs then to create a pulse audio sink to mix the two. I have not done this for a while, so I will need to read up on it again. But I don't recall it being overly difficult.

Its 2:30am so I'm off to bed. I'll take a look at this when I get up late in the morning and if I re-figure out the sink method with pulse audio I'll post it. Sorry, I'm too tired to remember right now.

Edit : In case one is 'brand new' to pulse audio, I have a very basic guide here wrt the application pulse audio volume control (pavucontrol) http://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/old...avucontrol-96/ which should help fill in part (but not all) of the picture.
    Last edited by oldcpu; 17-May-2012 at 17:41.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by oldcpu View Post
    Now that is still not sufficient as it does not capture both audio sources at the same time. One needs then to create a pulse audio sink to mix the two. I have not done this for a while, so I will need to read up on it again. But I don't recall it being overly difficult.

Its 2:30am so I'm off to bed. I'll take a look at this when I get up late in the morning and if I re-figure out the sink method with pulse audio I'll post it. Sorry, I'm too tired to remember right now.
    If impatient, my previous notes on mixing audio with pulse are here: http://forums.opensuse.org/forums/en...lse-audio.html ... I'm too tired to do this now .... and if you wait I will do this on my PC when I get up and post a more precise solution.

Quote Originally Posted by RGErrDay View Post
    I have looked everywhere i cannot find screen recording software for opensuse 12.1 which records the screen and the computer audio and the microphone if anyone could find me software which does all them 3 things i would be extremely grateful
    Try Kazam. See this thread for details:
    http://forums.opensuse.org/english/g...capture-3.html

Blog Entries

If impatient, my previous notes on mixing audio with pulse are here: http://forums.opensuse.org/forums/en...lse-audio.html ... I'm too tired to do this now .... and if you wait I will do this on my PC when I get up and post a more precise solution.
    I have this working now on my openSUSE-12.1 system (you will note that link in my quote was for an openSUSE-11.4 test partition over a year ago, in May-2011). Until now I have never tried this with my openSUSE-12.1.

I just finished playing a video with smplayer, and at the same time I was talking in my external mic (it also works for my webcam mic) and with ffmpeg (and pavucontrol) I captured my desktop, showing the desktop, the video, and the audio from both the video and the external mic. Playback works well.

I did not make this permanent, but rather as a regular user I simply used some relatively more exotic pulse audio commands. According to my openSUSE-11.4 efforts from over a year ago, it is possible to make it permanent if one wishes.

I'm puzzling a bit how to explain this, as it involves creating a sink and also creating a couple of loop back devices to redirect the mic and internal computer sound to the sink. That reads to be more complex than it is. What makes it tricky, is that pavucontrol has many options, and the labelling in pavucontrol can be confusing (at least for me) and often it appears the pavucontrols go from right-to-left, instead of the more western 'left-to-right' which put me on the wrong track on more than one occasion.

I'll see if I can create some screen prints, together with the commands on how to do this with ffmpeg (which works well I might add).

My wife is away in Thailand on vacation (visiting family) so I need to go shopping for food and do some errands, so it may be much later today when I can post my screen prints. But the answer is in the Link I quoted, albeit it is not explained well in that link.

Try this one: Screencast for Linux. Page is only in German, and a release 1.20 is on the way, which offers smaller video file sizes and better microphone support (recording via monitor). Contact the author for the prerelease of 1.20

Blog Entries

Its 2:30am so I'm off to bed. I'll take a look at this when I get up late in the morning and if I re-figure out the sink method with pulse audio I'll post it.
    I updated my blog, and posted how to do this here (with ffmpeg) : Capturing video of one's desktop - Blogs - openSUSE Forums

That is just a temporary solution. I'll have to update my blog some more to document how to make this permanent.