How to change number of characters in line in Terminal.

I would like to see more then 80 characters in one line, but I did not find where should I change this parameter. Please advice!
I think it does not matter what version of SUSE I use, because it is a general question related to any versions.
But if it important I use OpenSUSE 12.1
Thank you for your time and consideration!

You’ll have to provide more info, such as which desktop you’re using and which terminal. In the Gnome terminal, for example, you’ll find this in Edit->Preferences, but others will be different.

System: openSUSE 12.1 (x86_64)
KDE: 4.7.2 (4.7.2) “release 5”

I’m not sure what should I provide else… Is it enough?

This question stand up, because respond from DB looks little messy,see below:
http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/3852/snapshot1oy.png

Try typing the following command in your terminal:

resize

For more info see man resize.

Whithout having used this, what I think you need to look into is the stty command.

Besides that it is allways important which openSUSE level (you doubted about this above) and very often the desktop and it’s level, in this case it is of course also which terminal emulator do you use. For KDE, most use Konsole, but there are more.

And about Konsole:
I remember it was once possible to start it with options that told it to open with so many chars/lines, but this was dropped in a new version (do not ask me why, I was very upset at the time, and I fell rage allready growing inside me). Since then it is almost impossible to have Konsole at a pecific number of characters/lines. But my experience is that when you resize the window, this is detected
E.g. when I have a file with a long line and do a cat of it, it wraps at the end. When I then widen the window by pulling the right border, and cat again, the new output will wrap in the new space. Editing that file with* vi* will even dynamicaly rewrap during the pull/push of the border.

You need to change your sqlplus settings, it ignores your actual terminal size.

sqlplus pagesize and linesize | Anatta Technologies

On 2012-05-16 05:26, garg wrote:
>
> This question stand up, because respond from DB looks little messy,see
> below:
> [image: http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/3852/snapshot1oy.png]

Try another terminal, there are several

Do you experience the problem with any program, or just with sql? Because
it may be that software which limits to 80 chars, not the terminal.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.4 x86_64 “Celadon” at Telcontar)

This is good point, b’cause I got the same problem on Windows cmd prompt,
doesn’t matter that I changed size in cmd properties, it was huge size window with 80-char line text inside. Thank you I will try it!

It is the application which ignores the size of your terminal. That’s why you should type ‘resize’ in the terminal before running another program. It will export COLUMNS and LINES. Some applications will make use of it, but not all. Please try that!

• If the number of columns is hardcoded in the application, there is nothing you can do.

FYI and especially for the OP

When running Konsole,
By default the line length will automatically edjust to the window size (except of course for apps like diff that display massive information side by side or some apps which restrict character lengths

So for instance I can run an app where the output is line wrapping.
I can use my mouse to re-size the window (even full screen), then re-run the app. The output will then display the full width as needed.

HTH,
TS