Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: Advice for anyone experiencing problems with iBus and LibreOffice

  1. #1

    Exclamation Advice for anyone experiencing problems with iBus and LibreOffice

    Hi all,

    like many other KDE users (that doesn't affect OpenSuSe alone) I was virtually unable to do my work (for which I need iBus to type Korean) using LibreOffice. The problem is that LibreOffice just tends to ignore iBus after switching to another program, and in most cases also restarting iBus doesn't help. I had to restart LibreOffice instead and sometimes even that didn't help. After having spend endless time on finding a solution (none of the suggestions I found worked), I gave up and installed Apache OpenOffice manually (I don't think that it's really such a bright idea that they removed it from the repos for whatever reasons), which worked fine.

    However, after having re-installed OpenSuSe I didn't want to install Apache OpenOffice manually again (which is also not done in a few minutes; you need to remove LibreOffice first and do some other things) I finally found a solution:

    Just install libreoffice-gnome and all problems are solved.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: Advice for anyone experiencing problems with iBus and LibreOffice

    On 2014-10-26 05:06, ger kor linuxdev wrote:

    > Just install libreoffice-gnome and all problems are solved.


    Well, it is known that kde and LO and ibus have problems. I think there
    was a paragraph on the release notes of 13.1.

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" at Telcontar)

  3. #3

    Default Re: Advice for anyone experiencing problems with iBus and LibreOffice

    Quote Originally Posted by robin_listas View Post
    On 2014-10-26 05:06, ger kor linuxdev wrote:

    > Just install libreoffice-gnome and all problems are solved.


    Well, it is known that kde and LO and ibus have problems. I think there
    was a paragraph on the release notes of 13.1.
    Really? I couldn't find anything there:
    http://doc.opensuse.org/release-note...openSUSE/13.1/

    The only working solution which I finally found was on some bug report board not related to OpenSuSe.

    I think it would be a very good idea to tell the developers to make libreoffice-gnome being installed automatically once iBus is selected for installation (I will point them to this thread, for the case that they didn't do that for 13.2 yet).


    Besides that I keep wondering why they keep people from installing Apache OpenOffice. I know about the license issues, but it's just not true to simply say that it would have disadvantages compared to LibreOffice. It might have any disadvantages (which I didn't find so far), but it has some advantages compared to LibreOffice.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Advice for anyone experiencing problems with iBus and LibreOffice

    Quote Originally Posted by ger_kor_linuxdev View Post
    Besides that I keep wondering why they keep people from installing Apache OpenOffice. I know about the license issues, but it's just not true to simply say that it would have disadvantages compared to LibreOffice. It might have any disadvantages (which I didn't find so far), but it has some advantages compared to LibreOffice.
    EDIT: Sorry, didn't know that:
    https://en.opensuse.org/Additional_p...itories#Apache

    It should be enabled by default though.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Advice for anyone experiencing problems with iBus and LibreOffice

    Quote Originally Posted by ger_kor_linuxdev View Post
    I think it would be a very good idea to tell the developers to make libreoffice-gnome being installed automatically once iBus is selected for installation (I will point them to this thread, for the case that they didn't do that for 13.2 yet).
    The problem is that this will prevent KDE integration. On 13.2 ibus will force LibreOffice to use GNOME integration when libreoffice-gnome is installed even on KDE.
    (on 13.1 it forces GNOME integration unconditionally even if libreoffice-gnome is not even installed, but that's a different story...)

    Not all people use ibus you know, but it might be pulled in by other packages. Users will complain that LibreOffice doesn't use KDE dialogs.

    The optimal solution would be to make the KDE integration work better with ibus so there's no need to require GNOME for that. I hope that this will be done upstream.
    Personally I don't really have any idea about ibus though.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Advice for anyone experiencing problems with iBus and LibreOffice

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    The problem is that this will prevent KDE integration. On 13.2 ibus will force LibreOffice to use GNOME integration when libreoffice-gnome is installed even on KDE.
    (on 13.1 it forces GNOME integration unconditionally even if libreoffice-gnome is not even installed, but that's a different story...)

    Not all people use ibus you know, but it might be pulled in by other packages. Users will complain that LibreOffice doesn't use KDE dialogs.

    The optimal solution would be to make the KDE integration work better with ibus so there's no need to require GNOME for that. I hope that this will be done upstream.
    Personally I don't really have any idea about ibus though.
    I think that prevention of KDE integration (I'm not exactly sure what you mean by saying that, so I'm just guessing [strange GUI?]) it is not a big deal when it comes to productivity. Actually I couldn't notice any important issues followed by LibreOffice forcing libreoffice-gnome.

    If that should lead to any problems, then I think using OpenOffice instead of LibreOffice would be the best work-around for peopple who have to use iBus.
    That would be another reason why the OpenOffice repo should be enabled by default, or even better, giving users the option to choose between LibreOffice and OpenOffice during the install process...

  7. #7

    Default Re: Advice for anyone experiencing problems with iBus and LibreOffice

    Quote Originally Posted by ger_kor_linuxdev View Post
    I think that prevention of KDE integration (I'm not exactly sure what you mean by saying that, so I'm just guessing [strange GUI?])
    Actually the GUI wouldn't even look so strange as there is an oxygen theme (the default KDE theme) for GNOME as well.
    It's mostly about the dialogs. (e.g. when you open or save a file)

    it is not a big deal when it comes to productivity.
    How can you say that?
    Of course it is a big deal for users that want to have the KDE file dialogs, and it can be a big deal for productivity as well. F.e. you can create bookmarks in KDE's file dialog to make your life easier and quickly navigate to your documents. With LO's KDE integration you have those bookmarks in LO's file dialog, otherwise not of course.
    And it's probably also a question of what you're used to. If you use KDE's file dialog all the time in all your applications, you are just faster/better/more productive when using it in LO as well.

    Btw, there was a big discussion about this when the ibus maintainer suggested to drop libreoffice-kde4 altogether on the Factory mailinglist (and people demanded to keep the KDE integration).

    Actually I couldn't notice any important issues followed by LibreOffice forcing libreoffice-gnome.
    If libreoffice-gnome is installed, it is enforced by ibus anyway.
    But in 13.1 ibus also enforces libreoffice-gnome even when it is not installed, resulting in absolutely no desktop integration, and problems with ibus as well (i.e. it doesn't work, at least that's what I understand).

    If that should lead to any problems, then I think using OpenOffice instead of LibreOffice would be the best work-around for peopple who have to use iBus.
    Why? Just install libreoffice-gnome.
    On a GNOME installation it should be installed by default anyway.
    On KDE not even ibus is installed by default.

    That would be another reason why the OpenOffice repo should be enabled by default, or even better, giving users the option to choose between LibreOffice and OpenOffice during the install process...
    Suggest that on the Factory mailinglist and offer to maintain it...

    Anyway, discussing this here won't lead to anything anyway.
    If you really want to make suggestions about changes in the distribution, you better do that on a different channel, like the factory mailinglist or even bugzilla or openfate.
    Last edited by wolfi323; 26-Oct-2014 at 13:18.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Belleville, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    455

    Default Re: Advice for anyone experiencing problems with iBus and LibreOffice

    A question of curiosity: Can one uninstall ibus if one doesn't use other languages?
    "Making rich people richer doesn't make the rest of us richer." Ha-Joon Chang
    openSUSE 15.1 4.12.14-lp151.28.16-default x64

  9. #9

    Default Re: Advice for anyone experiencing problems with iBus and LibreOffice

    Quote Originally Posted by kerijan2003 View Post
    A question of curiosity: Can one uninstall ibus if one doesn't use other languages?
    Yes.
    You can uninstall ibus, but you probably have to keep libibus. That's no issue though.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: Advice for anyone experiencing problems with iBus and LibreOffice

    On 2014-10-26 21:16, wolfi323 wrote:

    > Btw, there was a big discussion about this when the ibus maintainer
    > suggested to drop libreoffice-kde4 altogether on the Factory mailinglist
    > (and people demanded to keep the KDE integration).


    +++······················
    Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2014 21:54:41 +0900
    From: Fuminobu TAKEYAMA <>
    To: <opensuse-factory@opensuse.org>
    Subject: [opensuse-factory] Do we really need libreoffice-kde4?

    ....

    2. Poor input method support (XIM only)
    Thereby, the launch scripts of IBus contains:
    exports OOO_FORCE_DESKTOP=gnome
    to enforce libreoffice-gnome on KDE environment.

    To do that, the IBus package have a weird supplements tag:
    Supplements: packageand(libreoffice:libreoffice-gnome)

    On the other hand, libreoffice-gnome supports input method via GTK,
    Chinese and Japanese users can input texts smoothly.
    ······················++-

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" at Telcontar)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •