Thread: .xif File Converter?

Default .xif File Converter?

I have some old business files and personal records scanned into the .xif format. I believe it stands for "Xerox Image Format" but Xerox sold to to Pagis who sold it to Nuance. No one seems to support it anymore.

Is there an open-source Image converter that will convert these files into .pdf or TIFF (xif is a four layer TIFF extension) or some other standard file?

Believe it or not, back in the day, Xerox seemed more permanent than Adobe so early digital archives often used Xerox Scanners and the .xif file type. Time changes everything.

Cordially,
    TwoHoot
    #1 - openSUSE Leap 42.3; AMD A6-3670; Radeon(tm) HD; 8gb memory; 500 gb HD; KDE 5.8.7
    #2 - openSUSE Leap 42.2; Toshiba Satellite L70-A (Dual Boot - Win10); KDE 5.8.3
    #3 - openSUSE Leap 42.3; AMD A6-6400K; Radeon HD; 8gb memory; 1tb HD; KDE 5.8.7

Default Re: .xif File Converter?

I hope you kept hard copies.

Have you tried GIMP? It supports TIFF.

It's always worth trying ImageMagick which will import a wide range of formats which it will not expot.

xnview claims to be able to open xif, it is not free/libre software but
    free for private use and available for linux. I would give it a try if
    gimp and imgemagick/graphicsmagick do not help

http://www.xnview.com/en/downloadunix.html

I tried it long ago, I do not know how good it works on current openSUSE
    versions.

--
    PC: oS 12.1 x86_64 | i7-2600@3.40GHz | 16GB | KDE 4.8.3 | GeForce GT 420
    ThinkPad E320: oS 12.1 x86_64 | i3@2.30GHz | 8GB | KDE 4.8.3 | HD 3000
    eCAFE 800: oS 12.1 i586 | AMD Geode LX 800@500MHz | 512MB | KDE 3.5.10

GIMP will open a few (about 1 in 10) of them but not all. Very frustrating and confusing.

Will try Image Magic next.

Cordially,
    TwoHoot
    #1 - openSUSE Leap 42.3; AMD A6-3670; Radeon(tm) HD; 8gb memory; 500 gb HD; KDE 5.8.7

On 2012-05-12 23:06, TwoHoot wrote:
    >
    > GIMP will open a few (about 1 in 10) of them but not all. Very
    > frustrating and confusing.
    >
    > Will try Image Magic next.

The original software will not run, or perhaps you do not have it?

--
    Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
    (from 11.4 x86_64 "Celadon" at Telcontar)

Quote Originally Posted by robin_listas View Post
    The original software will not run, or perhaps you do not have it?
    The original software was a free program that came with a scanner. I may or may not have it somewhere. It ran under Windows or Windows 95 I think.

Then PagisPro bought the original developer, improved and sold a new program that did the same thing but was upgraded to take advantage of Windows 98 features. They went out of business and were bought by Nuance which dropped the .xif (Xerox Image Format, a 4 layer TIFF extension) file type but offered a free reader to read them. I don't think the reader will do conversions to a newer format like .pdf. I may have a copy of it that will probably run under Windows.

I save nearly everything so this software download is on a CD somewhere. Finding it is the problem. On another thread, I have been looking for an open source disc catalog program similar to Advanced Disc Catalog that ran under windows. I think I found it in "Virtual Volume View". It works well but it still takes time to run hundreds of CDs through it and search for the appropriate software.

The cataloging project has already paid off. I located a copy of PhotoRecall (a late 90s vintage photo album that is a proprietary variation of Microsoft Access). It will run under Windows Vista. That is a great relief because I scanned my parents and grandparents (all dead now) photos into it and captioned them before returning the originals. There are about 50 CDs of large scanned TIFF images I thought were lost when the company went away (last post on their website is 1998). Fortunately, I saved the access information in a text file and can actually use it! Now I am in the process of exporting the images and copying the captions to the image metadata. (ImageWare Systems bought G&A Imaging in 2001. They focus on Security/Police image databases)

The point of all that useless information is to make people thing about how they store documents and images for permanent record. Proprietary software and formats that seem new and wonderful now may be hard to access later. It is hard to tell what will last. Retrieving and updating digital records could easily become a high tech industry.

Cordially,
    TwoHoot

On 2012-05-15 17:56, TwoHoot wrote:

> I don't think the
    > reader will do conversions to a newer format like .pdf.

PDF is not so new, but there were other image formats like tiff or gif.

> The point of all that useless information is to make people thing about
    > how they store documents and images for permanent record. Proprietary
    > software and formats that seem new and wonderful now may be hard to
    > access later. It is hard to tell what will last.

A dozen years back there wasn't much other choice.

I read some years ago about a serious project to archive data. It was
    stored together with the software to read the files, in different formats.
    When the data was transferred to some other media, it had to be included
    with the software to transfer to the newer formats. At least that was the
    idea. I do not know if the system has been used.

--
    Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
    (from 11.4 x86_64 "Celadon" at Telcontar)