Thread: Can No Longer Login to KDE Desktop After Updating from 4.8.2 to 4.8.3 :(

Default Can No Longer Login to KDE Desktop After Updating from 4.8.2 to 4.8.3 :(

I just updated my system using YaST Software Update from Respositories. After I rebooted I get the normal kdm login screen. I enter in my password, my screen goes blank like it's going to login then just comes back to the kdm screen. There are no messages displayed anywhere and no errors.

I dropped to console and moved my home directory to a new name temporarily to see if there was something changed with that. I tried logging in again after that and then an error window popped stating "Cannot change to home directory using ./"

I have now moved my home directory back and tried again and again, screen went blank and returned to kdm with no error messages anywhere.

Help!

Thanks.
    Desktop - Custom Build | Intel i7-950 | Asus P6X58D Premium MB | openSUSE 13.2 X86_64 | 12GB Ram | NVidia GTX580 | KDE 4.14.8

Blog Entries

Default Re: Can No Longer Login to KDE Desktop After Updating from 4.8.2 to 4.8.3 :(

Some other user just reported that my suggestion to check the selected session in the login screen. Should be KDE Plasma Desktop. Option is in the bottom left of the screen. Please let know if this works for you too. Looks like there are more people suffering from this.
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Board#Members
    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

Default Re: Can No Longer Login to KDE Desktop After Updating from 4.8.2 to 4.8.3 :(

Quote Originally Posted by Knurpht View Post
    Some other user just reported that my suggestion to check the selected session in the login screen. Should be KDE Plasma Desktop. Option is in the bottom left of the screen. Please let know if this works for you too. Looks like there are more people suffering from this.
    PERFECT! That did it. After the upgrade apparently the previous selection is cleared with no selected environment. Thank you! Happy camper.
    Desktop - Custom Build | Intel i7-950 | Asus P6X58D Premium MB | openSUSE 13.2 X86_64 | 12GB Ram | NVidia GTX580 | KDE 4.14.8

Quote Originally Posted by DMCorsa View Post
    I just updated my system using YaST Software Update from Respositories. After I rebooted I get the normal kdm login screen. I enter in my password, my screen goes blank like it's going to login then just comes back to the kdm screen. There are no messages displayed anywhere and no errors.

I dropped to console and moved my home directory to a new name temporarily to see if there was something changed with that. I tried logging in again after that and then an error window popped stating "Cannot change to home directory using ./"

I have now moved my home directory back and tried again and again, screen went blank and returned to kdm with no error messages anywhere.

Help!

Thanks.
    I had the exact same problem. After several hours of panic I "discovered" that selectiong the KDE-Plasma session on the KDM login screen did the trick. Looks like the default session type was lost during the upgrade.