Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: MTP error at booting

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    119

    Default MTP error at booting

    Hi all,

    I get this message during booting
    Code:
    udevd[3359]: failed to execute '/lib/udev/mtp-probe' 'mtp-probe /sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1d.7/usb2/2-4 2 3': No such file or directory
    My first reaction was to remove libmtp but then something stopped me. I guess the thought I might have problems with Amarok. Any ideas what it means and how I can get rid of it?

    Thanks.
    - pascal
    ______________________________________________________________
    "In der Computer gibt es kein Ignorabimus"

    Paraphrasing the german mathematician David Hilbert

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,075

    Default Re: MTP error at booting

    I have no idea what this means, but I had it too. A bunch of strange stuff happened when I upgraded a second hd to Win7 by disconnecting the drive with opensuse on it. I couldn't get the gui and I couldn't log in as user, only root. After hours of trying different things, this seemed to work: from root cli, I typed kdm, switched user and then rebooted. The error went away and opensuse booted to the gui. The repos being down may not have mattered but they sure added to my anxiety when I couldn't update files.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. - Arthur C. Clarke

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    119

    Default Re: MTP error at booting

    I think I will go ahead and remove libmtp. In the worst scenario I will install Amarok again since it's required.
    - pascal
    ______________________________________________________________
    "In der Computer gibt es kein Ignorabimus"

    Paraphrasing the german mathematician David Hilbert

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: MTP error at booting

    On 2012-05-03 08:56, pligdas wrote:
    >
    > I think I will go ahead and remove libmtp. In the worst scenario I will
    > install Amarok again since it's required.


    I would simply ignore the boot message. Just a line written to a file, so what?

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 11.4 x86_64 "Celadon" at Telcontar)

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    119

    Default Re: MTP error at booting

    Well, it looks like I wasted my time. I removed libmtp, the message went away, but vlc went away too. After reinstalling vlc from VideoLan, the message reappeared. No insight whatsoever gained.
    - pascal
    ______________________________________________________________
    "In der Computer gibt es kein Ignorabimus"

    Paraphrasing the german mathematician David Hilbert

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago suburbs
    Posts
    10,138
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: MTP error at booting

    I have been ignoring that message. I think it started with the last kernel update. Everything seems to still work when I ignore the message.
    opensuse Leap 15.0; KDE Plasma 5;
    opensuse tumbleweed; KDE Plasma 5 (test system);

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    24,207
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: MTP error at booting

    Quote Originally Posted by pligdas
    Well, it looks like I wasted my time. I removed libmtp, the message went
    away, but vlc went away too. After reinstalling vlc from VideoLan, the
    message reappeared. No insight whatsoever gained.

    Hi
    Seems like it's aggressive in 11.4;
    https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=700243

    You could try enabling the udev settle service and rebooting?
    Code:
    # systemctl enable udev-settle.service
    
    ln -s '/lib/systemd/system/udev-settle.service'
    '/etc/systemd/system/basic.target.wants/udev-settle.service'
    --
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
    openSUSE 12.1 (x86_64) Kernel 3.1.10-1.9-desktop
    up 7:12, 4 users, load average: 0.01, 0.02, 0.05
    CPU Intel i5 CPU M520@2.40GHz | Intel Arrandale GPU


  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    119

    Default Re: MTP error at booting

    Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    I have been ignoring that message. I think it started with the last kernel update. Everything seems to still work when I ignore the message.
    That's something. I also updated the kernel recently.
    - pascal
    ______________________________________________________________
    "In der Computer gibt es kein Ignorabimus"

    Paraphrasing the german mathematician David Hilbert

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    119

    Default Re: MTP error at booting

    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Hi
    Seems like it's aggressive in 11.4;
    https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=700243

    You could try enabling the udev settle service and rebooting?
    Code:
    # systemctl enable udev-settle.service
    
    ln -s '/lib/systemd/system/udev-settle.service'
    '/etc/systemd/system/basic.target.wants/udev-settle.service'
    Don't know what that means, but it didn't work anyway.
    - pascal
    ______________________________________________________________
    "In der Computer gibt es kein Ignorabimus"

    Paraphrasing the german mathematician David Hilbert

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •