nvidia ion 2 hdmi audio

Hey,
Im new to the forums so sorry if this has been covered but the search feature and Google has yielded no results. So I have a zotac zboz mini pc with a intel 525 atom processor , ion 2 graphics and im running a fresh opensuse 12.1 kde 4.7 install… Im trying to get audio over hdmi.

What ive tried,

• installing nvidia driver 295
  • installing pulse-audio and fiddling with the setting i.e turning off analog audio and setting it only to hdmi audio. turning on and off, ect…
  • rebooting
  • logging out
  • yelling, alcohol, screaming.

Nothing has worked so far. I really love opensuse and do not want to go back to kubuntu or worse unity. It seems though that ubuntu is the only operating system other than windows that can get audio through my hdmi cable.

Please any help would be appreciated.

I would read through the following blog about using PulseAudio and follow its advice.

http://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/oldcpu/pulseaudio-basics-opensuse-pavucontrol-96/

Now PulseAudio is the default with openSUSE 12.1 and it is not recommended you uninstall it only to reinstall it later as I am not sure what that would do for you. As for nVIDIA, if it is their audio you are trying to use, it can be made the default in Pulse. Actually, I must do the reverse on my PC and the nVIDIA audio is always the default on my rig and I must disable it so to use my add-in audio card.

Read through the blog and then ask more questions.

Thank You,

i didn’t uninstall pulse audio, if it was already installed i suppose i must have just installed the control center. Really though i have gone through every option in the control center without anything changing. there isn’t really a whole lot there. After my final tomorrow i will read the whole guide but i feel like its something else. weird thing though, is in the control center it looks like some of the artwork for the program is missing.

So we can’t see what you see and thus can’t tell for sure just what you are missing. Perhaps the guide will help you pick up what is wrong. If your computer has two or more audio devices, only the first one found will be used. How many audio devices does your computer have? Don’t know? Then you need to read more such as the suggested guide. As I mentioned before, I have an nVIDIA video with HDMI audio and a separately installed Creative audio card. PulseAudio always uses the HDMI by default on my PC and not the Sound Blaster sound card. I must go into Pulse and disable the nVIDIA sound to make my other sound card work. No amount of fiddling else wise makes any difference. Think about it. And good luck with your Final!

Thank You,

I tried making a reply already but it didnt seem to work.I just wanted to add I have hdmi audio selected in pulse audio control panel.There is two devices listed, internal and hdmi. the control panel tells me youtube is sending audio to the hdmi cable.I disabled internal audio. Ive tested audio with a cable(not through hdmi) and it works. As far as i can tell, it just doesnt work. At least without some kind of hack. This is very frustrating.

Alright so i read the guide. Didn’t really help. I switched to xubuntu for now. not really happy about that. Not all my hdmi audio devices were being listed in suse’s pulse audio. there were four in ubuntu and only the fourth one worked. It sucks but i guess ill come back for the next release and see if its fixed then. So yeah if anybody is having trouble’s with nvidia ion hdmi audio, your not alone.

I think what you need here is to configure your sound for
simultaneous sound output to hdmi and HD audio controller.

I would like to help, but it won’t be an instantaneous solution, but could take many iterations as information is exchanged on your hardware and software setup, and on results of various tests we have you run to see why its not working for you, and results of possible configuration file changes. The first thing I would nominally request is more information, which is provided by running the diagnostic script :

/usr/sbin/alsa-info.sh

which if the SHARE/UPLOAD option is selected uploads one’s audio information to an alsa paste site, from which one can then post here that website URL, and we can analyze the PC configuration and provide recommendations for tests and where necessary configuration changes, to ensure all HDMI possibilities are present to configure. But again - this could take time as we also have things going on in our lives and support may not be immediate.

However I see you have moved to xubuntu. Best wishes there with that GNU/Linux version. Colleagues in our office GNU/Linux group use Ubuntu (or derivatives) and they are happy with that.

Thanks, if you thinks its possible to fix, I will try again. It will be a couple hours before i can get everything set up again. Im not happy with xubuntu. I usually go with kde so opensuse is the best option for that desktop. Especially for kde 3. I would be happy with any amount of help and im sure it will be at least educational.

To the op, is there any chance to try installing 12.1 instead of 11.4?

Thanks again for helping, I reinstalled with a kde 3.5 opensuse 12.1 live cd. I still had no audio, so i installed pulse audio control panel and tried running the script. The scipt wasnt there so i thought also might not be installed. I installed The nvidia driver and then installed alsa and ran the script. For some reason there is no sound cards in pulse now. Nothing works, but here is the url the script gave me. http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=dcdb0da69e880ab5683ea61d260212e12d7ccfe5

Definitely major problems wrt sound with this:

!!Aplay/Arecord output
!!------------

APLAY

ALSA lib conf.c:3700:(snd_config_update_r) Cannot access file /etc/alsa-pulse.conf
ALSA lib control.c:882:(snd_ctl_open_noupdate) Invalid CTL hw:0
aplay: device_list:253: control open (0): No such file or directory
ALSA lib conf.c:3700:(snd_config_update_r) Cannot access file /etc/alsa-pulse.conf
ALSA lib control.c:882:(snd_ctl_open_noupdate) Invalid CTL hw:1
aplay: device_list:253: control open (1): No such file or directory
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****

ARECORD

arecord: device_list:253: control open (0): No such file or directory
arecord: device_list:253: control open (1): No such file or directory
**** List of CAPTURE Hardware Devices ****

!!Amixer output
!!-------------

!!-------Mixer controls for card 0 [Intel]

amixer: Control device hw:0 open error: No such file or directory
amixer: Mixer attach hw:0 error: No such file or directory

!!-------Mixer controls for card 1 [NVidia]

amixer: Control device hw:1 open error: No such file or directory
amixer: Mixer attach hw:1 error: No such file or directory

Where the dmesg gives this:

13.376773] ALSA patch_realtek.c:1291 realtek: No valid SSID, checking pincfg 0x40020601 for NID 0x1d
   15.263650] alsactl[556]: /usr/sbin/alsactl: load_state:1586: Cannot open /var/lib/alsa/asound.state for reading: No such file or directory

The ‘No valid SSID’ is a major hint as to the problem.

The alsa driver configuration is not able to properly auto configure your alsa device.

Earlier in the script, I note the hardware audio codec on your 64-bit openSUSE-12.1 (with the 3.1.10-1.9-default kernel) is an ALC888:

!!HDA-Intel Codec information
!!---------------------------
Codec: Realtek ALC888

If it were me with this problem, I would try one of 2 possibilities,
(1) try to force a model configuration upon boot, or
(2) update from 1.0.24 of alsa to the latest 1.0.25 of alsa.

Lets look at the 1st possibility. According to the alsa documentation on your computer (and on my computer) in the HD-Audio-Models.txt file, the following options are listed for an ALC888:

ALC882/883/885/888/889
======================
  3stack-dig	3-jack with SPDIF I/O
  6stack-dig	6-jack digital with SPDIF I/O
  arima		Arima W820Di1
  targa		Targa T8, MSI-1049 T8
  asus-a7j	ASUS A7J
  asus-a7m	ASUS A7M
  macpro	MacPro support
  mb5		Macbook 5,1
  macmini3	Macmini 3,1
  mba21		Macbook Air 2,1
  mbp3		Macbook Pro rev3
  imac24	iMac 24'' with jack detection
  imac91	iMac 9,1
  w2jc		ASUS W2JC
  3stack-2ch-dig	3-jack with SPDIF I/O (ALC883)
  alc883-6stack-dig	6-jack digital with SPDIF I/O (ALC883)
  3stack-6ch    3-jack 6-channel
  3stack-6ch-dig 3-jack 6-channel with SPDIF I/O
  6stack-dig-demo  6-jack digital for Intel demo board
  acer		Acer laptops (Travelmate 3012WTMi, Aspire 5600, etc)
  acer-aspire	Acer Aspire 9810
  acer-aspire-4930g Acer Aspire 4930G
  acer-aspire-6530g Acer Aspire 6530G
  acer-aspire-7730g Acer Aspire 7730G
  acer-aspire-8930g Acer Aspire 8930G
  medion	Medion Laptops
  targa-dig	Targa/MSI
  targa-2ch-dig	Targa/MSI with 2-channel
  targa-8ch-dig Targa/MSI with 8-channel (MSI GX620)
  laptop-eapd   3-jack with SPDIF I/O and EAPD (Clevo M540JE, M550JE)
  lenovo-101e	Lenovo 101E
  lenovo-nb0763	Lenovo NB0763
  lenovo-ms7195-dig Lenovo MS7195
  lenovo-sky	Lenovo Sky
  haier-w66	Haier W66
  3stack-hp	HP machines with 3stack (Lucknow, Samba boards)
  6stack-dell	Dell machines with 6stack (Inspiron 530)
  mitac		Mitac 8252D
  clevo-m540r	Clevo M540R (6ch + digital)
  clevo-m720	Clevo M720 laptop series
  fujitsu-pi2515 Fujitsu AMILO Pi2515
  fujitsu-xa3530 Fujitsu AMILO XA3530
  3stack-6ch-intel Intel DG33* boards
  intel-alc889a	Intel IbexPeak with ALC889A
  intel-x58	Intel DX58 with ALC889
  asus-p5q	ASUS P5Q-EM boards
  mb31		MacBook 3,1
  sony-vaio-tt  Sony VAIO TT
  auto		auto-config reading BIOS (default)

so what you could do is try forcing EACH of those, ONE at a TIME, testing for sound, and restarting alsa sound driver in between each new model option test, to see if sound functions.

To try an option, you need to edit the /etc/modprobe.d/50-sound.conf file. I assume that file exists ? If not you should go to yast > hardware > sound and configure your sound, and test your audio. Assuming still no audio, then yast-hardwarwe-sound will automatically create the /etc/modprobe.d/50-sound.conf file. In which case, to try the option ‘auto’ (for example) add this additional line to the START of the /etc/modprobe.d/50-sound.conf file:

options snd-hda-intel model=auto

and restart alsa and test with ‘auto’ in that file. You can either restart alsa by rebooting your PC, or you can send the command with root permissions (from a terminal):

rcalsasound restart

and then restart (as a regular user) your mixer, and test the sound.

If ‘auto’ does not work, then you need to replace it with another option from the list I provided (such as ‘sony-vaio-tt’ ) and keep trying, one model option at a time, testing and restarting between each attempt.

If after having gone through the entire list, none of them work, then post here, and I will provide guidance on updating alsa to 1.0.25. There are downsides to updating alsa to 1.0.25 which is why I do NOT recommend it as a 1st course of action.

… as an aside - PLEASE try hard to be accurate. When you state the script at first did not work, I confess my view is it was a mistake on your part. The script comes with alsa, and it does NOT come with the nvidia driver. Hence when I read that first line, it suggests to me a strong possibility a typo was made by yourself when the script was first run. We all make mistakes - ME especially. Hence its important to try to be accurate when one is in such a situation. I typically take paper notes, and triple check everything I try to ensure that it was not one of my normal mistakes, which I do (make mistakes) all the time, unfortunately.